Keeping Cats Calm

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to keep cats calm 100% of the time?

Well, at least my cats sometimes get too hyper and/or act like scavengers rummaging thru the garbage (even though they have food which they like).

For example, one of my cats, who is normally extremely sweet, just picked out a light piece of plastic from the garbage & ate it. I even made sure it was buried deep, as she has done it before, and she still managed to get it. I was laying in bed at peace & had to jump out to stop her, but couldn't as she had already swallowed.

Not only is it concerning in terms of their health, but also *our* health... Because when they act up, we suffer both physically and mentally. I worked a lot today & wanted to relax in bed, and just upon laying down, she kept making noise and being annoying!!

Anyway, they usually are amazing... It's just every now and then that they get on my nerves. Anyone have any suggestions?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having cats requires a fair amount of responsibility and compromise on your part.
Cats "acting out" generally means they're not getting enough stimulation. Watch all of these
Secondly, it simply requires cat proofing your home for your cats not to endanger themselves via eating things like plastic. Clearly a cat doesn't know any better; so you have to. Try taking the trash out daily; keeping the trash in a closed off room; getting a heavy duty can instead, or keeping it outside with a heavy duty lid.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the cats are digging in the trash, the easiest solution is to put the trash can behind secured closed doors or secure the trash can lid down with child safety straps. If the trash can has no lid, you should buy one with a secure tight fitting lid and also keep it behind closed doors. The cabinet under most kitchen sinks is usually wasted space so that's a great place to put a small trash can. For trash cans elsewhere in the house, use ones with secure lids.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are living beings, predators to be exact. They are going to have energy and get into things. This doesn’t mean they aren’t being “sweet,” they are simply being cats. Being a cat parent means you sign up for the responsibility. In that sense, it’s a lot like being a parent in general. You need to have fixed play times with them, give them enough stimulation, and cat proof your house. Put a lid on your garbage.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ditto on cat proofing. But, other than that, do you have cat trees and/or places to climb and look out windows, cardboard boxes they can play with and hide in, etc? How about some automated/interactive toys that can pre-occupy them when you don't have time to play with them directly?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if you have had these cats neutered or spayed yet? A cat looking to mate is going to be loud and stressed out a good portion of the time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, venting is allowed here. Your post would only be a problem if you were truly upset with your cats . . . for being cats. But venting is fine. Cats can 100% be PITAs at times.

If you can wait a few years till your cats get old, maybe gain weight despite your best efforts, I guarantee they won't do much. Of course, you might miss the entertainment value at that point. Other than that, you might look at adding some toys. I've never found that toys without humans using them do much, but maybe some of those automatic toys work. Facebook keeps pushing a battery powered fish at me; I remain skeptical.