Keeping cats calm during new roof

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goofy hates storms and will hide. He even hates the sound of rain. The others don't mind, but I hate seeing him hide out like that.
The farmers have been working in the field next to my house for what seems like ever, and while the cats don't care, the Papillon who loves to yell has other ideas. :rolleyes:
It's very frustrating, isn't it, when they all have different nerve triggers? It seems like it's always something. I have to say that I've come to appreciate certain ways that Edwina sometimes hides -- particularly when she escapes to a big IKEA box if there's a lot of noise outside -- because it feels like she's removing herself from a situation that could make her vomit from stress. Very often, going to IKEA (as I call it) is the most effective thing any of us could do anyway, particularly if she's already had Rescue Remedy.

I hope the farmers will be done in the field soon!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's very frustrating, isn't it, when they all have different nerve triggers? It seems like it's always something. I have to say that I've come to appreciate certain ways that Edwina sometimes hides -- particularly when she escapes to a big IKEA box if there's a lot of noise outside -- because it feels like she's removing herself from a situation that could make her vomit from stress. Very often, going to IKEA (as I call it) is the most effective thing any of us could do anyway, particularly if she's already had Rescue Remedy.

I hope the farmers will be done in the field soon!
Poor Goof was outside in the catio one day when a storm was brewing. The other cats came in, but he just kept taking a bath on his hammock and rolling around like he was having a One Cat Parade. When the rain hit, he made it to the door in two leaps. The rain on the tin roofed part really freaked him out. I'm hoping he learned...
"Going to IKEA" is a really cute cue to go hide, and I'm glad she has a box she feels safe in. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is stressful! Our guys had to return to complete the job as well, but only once, not multiple random times like you experienced. Ugh.

They all got through it, some better than others. Tanguy has an autoimmune disorder and the stress made his mouth break out, but with meds he has recovered.

I feel for you. I had a horrible re-roofing experience. Due to hail storm damage, multiple condo roofs had to be done. Unfortunately, it was a year we had intense spring rain. They would work 1/2 a day, then stop for three. Work two days, off four. They were also doing multiple roofs at the same time. It must have taken at least two weeks. My cat nearly had a nervous breakdown. She would get under a piece of furniture. Because she was under there all day, I didn’t realize she was stress shedding. She ended up getting a small hair blockage in her bowel that necessitated a trip to the vet.

If I had realized how long it was going to take, I would have built some sort of wooden box I could have used sound proofing on. If there is furniture- a bed, dresser or such, that your cats like to get under, I would work with that. A way in and out, with maybe quilts lining the space. You might also have a backup plan, like a pet friendly hotel, or a friends house. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats still suffer PTSD from the dog attack. They tense up when they hear a noise from another room. It's heartbreaking and I will do anything to relieve their stress. Wet got a few Feliway diffusers for downstairs.

They all have their favorite hiding places. Cup and Ginger Boy preferred to be wherever I was. Midnight patrolled the porch and foyer dutifully, even though he was nervous.

First off, you have a beautiful home, and a beautiful cat-family! I think I remember your post about the dog attack. Have any of the cats had any lasting issues with that?

I had a roofing/repair project going on over our heads for several weeks 10 years or so ago, so I feel your pain. My cats actually got used to the noise better than I did.
White noise machines help. Keep the TV on, on low (not blaring), or the radio. Try to give them a space as far away from the noise as possible. Give them access to lots of hiding places they like, as others have suggested, boxes. Put the boxes out now so they get their scent on them and the boxes feel familiar. If you have particular concerns about any cat, talk to your vet and they might be able to give you some calming agents. There are also calming treats available, though I don't have any personal experience with them.
And whatever you do, act normal on the day the roofers come! These cats are little emotional sponges and if we act jumpy and upset, they will become jumpy and upset. Remind yourself that this is only for 7 or 8 hours. It seems like an eternity, but before you know it, the roof will be fixed and the roofers will be done.