Keeping cats calm during new roof

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The roof of our two story house was damaged during storms and will be replaced on Friday. We have five adult cats (former feral mom, dad, three of their offspring) who are indoor-only. The kittens have never been outdoors. Our downstairs is a totally open floorplan but they often spend time with me upstairs. I fear they will be freaked out all day while roofers are climbing all over and making a terrible noise for 7-8 hours. How can I best keep them calmest? They are already suffering PTSD from when a dog broke into our house this summer and attacked them. I cleared my entire day so I can stay with them. Please share your experience if you have it.

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just had an AC/furnace installed and it was 12 hours of a lot of crew and tons of loud noise. We cracked our bedroom door and our boy spent his time in there most of the day. He was brave and came out from time to time. We put his food and litter in the room too. When we were able, we went in there and watched TV on the bed. Got the toys out... Tried to keep things as normal as possible - like "noise? what noise?". It was a long, stressful day for ALL of us, but then it was over and all is fine again. Your cats are adorable!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
anticus anticus , I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your house and the need for a new roof. We've had a lot of noise difficulties this summer and, to make matters worse, the stress from noise makes one of our cats vomit, particularly during hot weather, which we've also seen a lot of!

Based on what's worked best for her, I'd suggest (starting with the most obvious, which can be the most logistically difficult!) keeping the cats as far as possible from the sources of the noise. There is a twist here, though: if you have a good source of white noise, putting that appliance in the cats' favorite spot might be your best option, even if that favorite spot is relatively close to the roofing noise. Our dehumidifier makes white noise that's perfect for our barfer; fortunately it's in one of her favorite rooms, too. The second best room for escaping noise has a big HEPA air filter in it. Even the dishwasher can help if Edwina's in the kitchen! Basically, any familiar and comfortable room with white noise, favorite toys, and an attempt at "as normal as possible," as K Kris107 says, works pretty well for us. Definitely feed (preferably not too much at a time) but be cautious if stress makes any of your cats vomit. Groom them, pat them, play with them, reassure them, but (this is by far the hardest part for me!) back off a little if you sense yourself getting stressed because the cats look stressed.

Various anti-stress products can help, too. Edwina gets Rescue Remedy drops regularly, with increased amounts on noisy days. They help her a lot. Composure chews are also calming but one of our cats won't eat them and the other seems to have a sensitivity to an ingredient. Feliway plug-ins and spray can also be helpful. I bought an Optimum diffuser kit last summer and it worked beautifully for Edwina, who was absolutely blissed out, though Ireland, who's asthmatic, didn't do well with it. (I didn't like the smell of it either since it's kind of chemically but it's not so bad that I wouldn't use one if not for Ireland's asthma.)

Good luck! I hope the roofing work goes smoothly and the cats do okay!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When we had our new roof put on, I used Rescue Remedy for Pets on the boys, then put a CD on with "cat music", which is calming to cats. Pretty much the same as white noise I would suppose.

Do your cats have any "hidey holes" they can get into? Even boxes on their sides? Mine actually like to get into their carriers to sleep sometimes, or when the doorbell rings :rolleyes2:. I just take the doors off and put towels inside for comfort and leave them out for their use whenever they want. Something like that might make them feel safe, especially if you put something you have recently worn inside so it has a familiar smell.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the damage. During COVID, we had to have someone come in and break down an old concrete washbasin from the 60s that was leaking.

I brought the cats to an upper room (as it's further from the noise), played some calming music, had some feliway plugged in and worked from that room for the day. They were fed and all in that room. The smaller, confined area is helpful. Also having them contained with one of their people is helpful. My attitude helps to keep them calmer.... though they were still frightened. The music helps so that every noise is less jarring.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. I had a horrible re-roofing experience. Due to hail storm damage, multiple condo roofs had to be done. Unfortunately, it was a year we had intense spring rain. They would work 1/2 a day, then stop for three. Work two days, off four. They were also doing multiple roofs at the same time. It must have taken at least two weeks. My cat nearly had a nervous breakdown. She would get under a piece of furniture. Because she was under there all day, I didn’t realize she was stress shedding. She ended up getting a small hair blockage in her bowel that necessitated a trip to the vet.

If I had realized how long it was going to take, I would have built some sort of wooden box I could have used sound proofing on. If there is furniture- a bed, dresser or such, that your cats like to get under, I would work with that. A way in and out, with maybe quilts lining the space. You might also have a backup plan, like a pet friendly hotel, or a friends house. Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The roof of our two story house was damaged during storms and will be replaced on Friday. We have five adult cats (former feral mom, dad, three of their offspring) who are indoor-only. The kittens have never been outdoors. Our downstairs is a totally open floorplan but they often spend time with me upstairs. I fear they will be freaked out all day while roofers are climbing all over and making a terrible noise for 7-8 hours. How can I best keep them calmest? They are already suffering PTSD from when a dog broke into our house this summer and attacked them. I cleared my entire day so I can stay with them. Please share your experience if you have it.
As long as they have a way to hide they will take care of themselves. Once it's over it may or may not take time to addjust

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I forgot to mention boxes! Our cats have lots of boxes and scratcher houses that they use for naps and hiding from noise. Like mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens 's cats, they also hate the doorbell!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the exception of Daisy, my cats are easily frightened by noise. Poor Elsie thinks she is hidden from people under the chest of drawers in the bedroom, but in reality, her rather ample backside is still sticking out. I agree with the advice above, especially about having places for your cats to hide. I am glad you are making it through the ordeal without too much difficulty. :hugs:

I once had a man install countertops in my house who yelled at his son who was helping him so much that the boy (he was about 16) wouldn't even hold his head up or maintain eye contact. By the time DH got home that day, I was in the bedroom crying over the way that man treated his son. I don't remember how my cats handled the situation, but I think that day better than me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, you have a beautiful home, and a beautiful cat-family! I think I remember your post about the dog attack. Have any of the cats had any lasting issues with that?

I had a roofing/repair project going on over our heads for several weeks 10 years or so ago, so I feel your pain. My cats actually got used to the noise better than I did.
White noise machines help. Keep the TV on, on low (not blaring), or the radio. Try to give them a space as far away from the noise as possible. Give them access to lots of hiding places they like, as others have suggested, boxes. Put the boxes out now so they get their scent on them and the boxes feel familiar. If you have particular concerns about any cat, talk to your vet and they might be able to give you some calming agents. There are also calming treats available, though I don't have any personal experience with them.
And whatever you do, act normal on the day the roofers come! These cats are little emotional sponges and if we act jumpy and upset, they will become jumpy and upset. Remind yourself that this is only for 7 or 8 hours. It seems like an eternity, but before you know it, the roof will be fixed and the roofers will be done.

Roosterboots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through this about a month ago. My poor kitties hid under beds upstairs even after the roofers were done. I am not even going to lie, it is loud and my cats were not happy. They did not eat much either. I dreaded the day but we all got through it. Y'all will too. By the next day everyone was back to normal

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be worth trying to let them see the cause of the noise, i.e. the men working on the roof. Hopefully, that would remove the fear of the unknown and help keep them calm.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my case--I live in a two story house and my son's room is the upstairs, so my cats and I live on the first floor. Being on the first floor did insulate a lot of the noise, so my own cats were not very distressed. His cat tends to come down to the bottom of the stairs (against the door to the upstairs) when she's frightened of noises (happens with every thunderstorm), but she did not seem to be terribly upset.

The whole thing took a lot less time than I thought it would.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And whatever you do, act normal on the day the roofers come! These cats are little emotional sponges and if we act jumpy and upset, they will become jumpy and upset.
Best advice, I completely agree! :agree:

It sounds like the roof may have already been replaced and I hope you are happy with the outcome. I just want to add that when we had a new roof installed we were lucky because we only had Neely at the time plus our dog. Our pup was more bothered by the noise than Neely who was unstoppable, i.e. she wasn't phased by anything. So we let her have the run of the house knowing she would find her safe place if she needed it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not the greatest at taking my own advice 😂
🤣 And, really, who is when it comes to cats?! We've had hot, humid, thunderstormy weather recently, which has not been easy on the cats. Or us humans. At least it's been pretty quiet! (Other than the neighborhood crow family...)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
🤣 And, really, who is when it comes to cats?! We've had hot, humid, thunderstormy weather recently, which has not been easy on the cats. Or us humans. At least it's been pretty quiet! (Other than the neighborhood crow family...)
Goofy hates storms and will hide. He even hates the sound of rain. The others don't mind, but I hate seeing him hide out like that.
The farmers have been working in the field next to my house for what seems like ever, and while the cats don't care, the Papillon who loves to yell has other ideas. :rolleyes: