Keeping Ants Out Of The Outdoor Food Bowl

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I leave dry cat food out on the back deck for a stray cat that lives in my shed. Lately after about a half hour dozens of small ants descend on the bowl (plastic bowl, wooden deck). I've seen pet food bowls advertised that claim to be ant-proof. Some use a moat of water around the bowl which deters the ants. Hoping someone can recommend either an ant-proof bowl I can buy or maybe someone has a DIY idea for keeping the ants at bay. Thanks!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've provided the link to an any proof pet feeder several times on this forum. The last time I couldn't open the link so I'm not sure if they went out of business or not. Google ant proof Pet feeder and give it a try.. But it really does work. I ordered one a few years ago. Ants cannot swim in water. You could use a very shallow Tupperware container and put water in it and a bowl of dry food inside of it. The cat will figure it out rather quickly and you won't get ants.

Since the Forum format changed I haven't been able to do some of the things I've been able to do in the past. If somebody could please explain to me how to upload a picture that I previously posted on this form from my mobile phone to this response, then I can do that for this poster.

Last edited:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks very much for your post, draco.
i had resigned myself to ants infesting feral cat's food.
i don't think eating ants hurt her, but it bothered me.
using a large bowl around her food bowl stopped the ants completely.
interestingly., she tends to drink the protective water more than water
from her water bowl.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
thanks very much for your post, draco.
i had resigned myself to ants infesting feral cat's food.
i don't think eating ants hurt her, but it bothered me.
using a large bowl around her food bowl stopped the ants completely.
interestingly., she tends to drink the protective water more than water
from her water bowl.
Yes, my cats do that too. My cats get fed indoors, but because I live in an old house I have trouble keeping the ants out in the summer. A big flat dish of water with that cat's bowl set in the middle stops the ants from getting to the food. I don't mind that they drink the water from the moat, at least they're getting a bit of extra moisture.