Keeping a kitten alive

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are tapeworms. They come from fleas. He'll need a Drontal tablet from the vet, and a second one 2 weeks later.

He also apparently needs flea meds. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha ironically I just treated him for fleas yesterday. Thanks! I'll pick some up at the vets tomorrow.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So jasper is being a little s**t! About 3 days ago my dog and i were sleeping on the couch, I woke up to jasper peeing on the both of us. So I chocked it up to a mishap. But tonight my girlfriend is staying over and we were watching a movie and jasper jump up and peed on us :-/
Nothings changed except the kind of litter, I switched from scoop away to precious cat litter and i know he using it.
So any ideas? Thanks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a UTI or crystals or another medical issue. Time for a vet check!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, you want to make sure he does not have a urinary tract infection (UTI) first.

It sounds behavioral, but you never know.

Otherwise, you might want to switch back to the other litter.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
poor baby! Is the new litter have scent to it? Many cats hate perfumy litter. I would swap back to old litter and call vet for appointment next week. Any changes in your household this week? Different hours you work or new people moved in?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with a vet check. Precious Cats is a good liter. I use it myself.. unscented.

I kind of think it is behavioral also.. Could Jasper be jealous of your girlfriend?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a tip to pass on......I haven't known a cat yet who tolerates (who won't react to) abrupt/sudden environmental changes. If you 'switched out' the old litter all at once.......that could be the trigger.

Litter needs to be switched over gradually, adding the new to the old in ever-increasing amounts over a week or so until the old is 100% replaced. (just like changing foods)

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no problem taking him to the vet. Other than the littler nothing at all has changed, girlfriends been around for a year now. I did not switch the litter out all at once, I'm in week 4 of switching it over.

If behavioral what could be the causes?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he getting enough attention from you?

Are you busier? Home alone less? Does your girlfriend give him attention?

If you rule out the UTI, then he's acting out for some reason.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he getting enough attention from you?

Are you busier? Home alone less? Does your girlfriend give him attention?

If you rule out the UTI, then he's acting out for some reason.
He's actually been getting more attention lately because he's been a little more cuddly lol. Usually he kind of did his own think, lately he'll come and lay beside me. And my schedule has been the same for about a year so I'm home the same. And yes she does.

The one thing I could guess is the fleas. Apparently it's super flea time as nothing seems to be getting rid of these little buggers. He's been itching more than usual.

But anyways I'll try to get ahold of the vet tomorrow since they're not open on Sunday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vet check is a good idea. Ask the vet for Capstar pills and Revolution for all of your pets. Both are prescription.

The capstar kills the fleas on the cats immediately, and the Revolution will offer prevention.

Buy a can of Enforcer house/carpet flea spray and spray floors and furniture. This is to kill eggs and larvae.

Wash all linens and blankets in hot water. Vacuum. Wash dog beds and crates. This is to kill eggs and larvae.

Spray your yard with flea yard spray. Let it dry before allowing pets out.

I have done all of these things to contain a flea epidemic, and it works. You need to do everything all at once, then spray the house again in 2 weeks.

Hopefully this will help Jasper!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One other thought...any strays coming into the yard? If so, he may be marking you as his property.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just treated him for fleas on the 1st so I wouldn't want to do revolution. I do use capstar everyone and awhile. I am currently treated the floors, couches, and am constantly washing lines. I didn't know about yard stuff so I can do that.

And I havnt seen any strays around.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If all of your pets are treated on a monthly basis for fleas, than fleas are not the problem. As mentioned above, your best bet is a trip to the vet. Are your other pets scratching as well? Do you allow "untreated animals" into your place by any chance, in that another animal other than your own is bringing something into your domain?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet check might well be in order. And I just thought, if Jasper has a mild UTI, and its a bit painful to urinate, he may be going on you because you represent all that is good to him, a comfort thing. Just a thought.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, one of our real success stories! And now our Little Man is all grown up...I wonder if he is still nursing from his doggy mama?