Keep my cat happy after being spayed?

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
My kitten Suki got spayed about five days ago. She is healing up okay, but unfortunately she is a victim to the dreadful cone :( I spoke with my vet about options for her, and we decided she needed to wear the cone for a week at the very least, as she is an excessive groomer and is likely to mess with her wound. We've run into a few problems since the cone. While she no longer tries to get it off, she can't properly clean herself and has been tracking poo around my room, and sadly little pieces of it get caught in her fur around her bum. More than a few times have I cleaned her up and washed my bed. I feel awful for her, I can tell she is very sad not being able to jump around and play. She just lays on my bed most of the time. Does anyone have any advice on how to brighten her spirits during this hard time? It absolutely wrecks my heart to see her like this, though I know it is for her health and safety. Thank you!

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten was (is) also a pretty big groomer, and I attempted to put a cone on her the first night and it was a complete disaster so I decided to leave it off. I was SO WORRIED. My vet did not suggest the cone, I was just really worried she'd get at herself. She told me most cats don't need them. Well, it was fine, and she was much happier without the cone. She would lick the area when she groomed, but not excessively, and she had absolutely no problems. She did not have staples or removable stiches, but glue and internal dissolvable stitches, so that could make a difference in how itchy it was?

A few months later, I adopted a boy that had to be fixed, and he also completely left the area alone, and we didn't need a cone at all.

Maybe you could try giving her a break from the cone when you are there to supervise and see how she does? She may leave it alone. Expect her to groom the area a little... just look for it being too focused.

edit to add:
When I was worried about this I came across people that did things like putting a (clean/new) tubesock cut on the end for the bum, and also leg holes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you trim the fur under her tail and along the upper backs of her back legs? It's called a hygiene trim and I regularly have to give my boy one :)

Also possibly contain her to a smaller room, or use unscented puppy pee pads or even tarps. It's only for a couple more days, she'll be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten was (is) also a pretty big groomer, and I attempted to put a cone on her the first night and it was a complete disaster so I decided to leave it off. I was SO WORRIED. My vet did not suggest the cone, I was just really worried she'd get at herself. She told me most cats don't need them. Well, it was fine, and she was much happier without the cone. She would lick the area when she groomed, but not excessively, and she had absolutely no problems. She did not have staples or removable stiches, but glue and internal dissolvable stitches, so that could make a difference in how itchy it was?

A few months later, I adopted a boy that had to be fixed, and he also completely left the area alone, and we didn't need a cone at all.

Maybe you could try giving her a break from the cone when you are there to supervise and see how she does? She may leave it alone. Expect her to groom the area a little... just look for it being too focused.

edit to add:
When I was worried about this I came across people that did things like putting a (clean/new) tubesock cut on the end for the bum, and also leg holes.
[/URL]
Thank you for your response! I will try taking it off and see how she does and feels. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things?
Things are better, I took the cone off today and am going to ask the vet if they can do a quick trim when they look at her stitches tomorrow :) she is much happier without her cone on :)