Keep Momma out of couch!

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help! how do I convince my momma cat that the inside of the reclining couch is NOT a good place to have her babies? She keeps trying to get in there and last time she had kittens, she moved them in there one got caught in the mechanics (it healed, but they both died later) and cut it's leg. I don't know why that seems like such a safe secure place but for some reason she loves it... any ideas on keeping her out??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Idea, I never thought of it.... but will she think it's a nest??? at least towels or blankets would (hopefully) keep kittens from getting "caught".... she hasn't had them yet but I'm terrified she'll go back to it again...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also be sure to offer her another good (by kitty standards) spot. Like a box in a closet, or someplace else that will feel safe to her.

Can you totally block her from getting under the couch? Maybe lay 2x4 boards around it or something? Or even begin shutting her in a separate room, again with a good nest choice.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

Is there a reason why you haven't gotten this cat spayed yet?
She is working with a spay van so that she will be spayed once this litter is weaned.

Katie

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with one of my adult cats. Basically no one can sit in the recliner until I have gotten down and looked under it.

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

Is there a reason why you haven't gotten this cat spayed yet?
Yes it's been on other posts, TNR is also helping me get info. to get the rest of the neighborhood cat's spayed... This one is my own stupid mistake.

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Also be sure to offer her another good (by kitty standards) spot. Like a box in a closet, or someplace else that will feel safe to her.

Can you totally block her from getting under the couch? Maybe lay 2x4 boards around it or something? Or even begin shutting her in a separate room, again with a good nest choice.
Ok that seems like an even better idea, My husband keeps a bunch of lumber in the shed, I'll try it out and see how she does....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MommaLori

Yes it's been on other posts, TNR is also helping me get info. to get the rest of the neighborhood cat's spayed... This one is my own stupid mistake.
Lori...you are now doing the right thing by keeping her indoors and working with the spay van for an appropriate date for her to be spayed. No need to continue to punish yourself.

Did you send an email to the address I PMed you?? If you haven't heard back, let me know and I'll do some follow ups.

Katie

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Lori...you are now doing the right thing by keeping her indoors and working with the spay van for an appropriate date for her to be spayed. No need to continue to punish yourself.

Did you send an email to the address I PMed you?? If you haven't heard back, let me know and I'll do some follow ups.

Katie
I'm not punishing myself really, I'm just getting kinda tired of going into it all...

As for the other, I am trying to get hold of my neighbor who feeds the kitties, to get him to catch them but in the meantime I will get ahold of the e-mail address.... I just hope he doesn't get mad at me....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not punishing myself really, I'm just getting kinda tired of going into it all.
Well..once she has had her kittens and been spayed, you won't have to go into all again. BTW..let us know whether you are successful at keeping her out from the couch.

Katie

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I just e-mailed the group you gave me... Hopefully they will reply soon, if not I'll let you know...In the meantime I will convince my neighbor of the neccessity....thanx

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, couch is all fixed up on bottom, However, it is a reclining couch and there are like where the fabrics come together, so I'm hoping they are too small or she doesn't find them.... so far she is staying away from them and the couch in general, hope it stays that way closer to time of delivery...She has her own kitty bed, all washed and ready to go... that's where she had her last bunch

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ok I just e-mailed the group you gave me... Hopefully they will reply soon, if not I'll let you know...In the meantime I will convince my neighbor of the neccessity....thanx
Thanks Lori...I'll be here if you need to email me or PM me. I think it is great that you care about the strays that live in your neighborhood.

Katie

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how do I know when it's TIME though!?!?! she's huge, her nipples are long and appear to have milk sacks under them..... and she's (obviously) looking for a nesting place... This patience thing is getting hard. I'm scared for her and babies, and excited to see them (held her hand all through the 1st litter) and afraid I won't be there for her, cause I'll be at work or school!!!
I'm so nervous!!! I'm afraid they'll be all white and tiny like the last one's were and I'm so afraid that they'll be sick or deformed or something! (Kit was born with 3 and 1/2 legs) her last one's looked healthy then the fat one up and died and I was so confused and heartbroken.... I expected the other to go first if any did.... aaarrrrggghh.... I'm re-living all my mistakes right now and it's driving me NUTS! Is feeling this way normal? lol maybe I need to be vetted!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep calm and just do what you can - you have learnt a lot and if anything goes wrong this time you may be better able to deal with it. But I hope it is all OK and you have some beautiful babies soon!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

how do I know when it's TIME though!?!?! she's huge, her nipples are long and appear to have milk sacks under them..... and she's (obviously) looking for a nesting place... This patience thing is getting hard. I'm scared for her and babies, and excited to see them (held her hand all through the 1st litter) and afraid I won't be there for her, cause I'll be at work or school!!!
I'm so nervous!!! I'm afraid they'll be all white and tiny like the last one's were and I'm so afraid that they'll be sick or deformed or something! (Kit was born with 3 and 1/2 legs) her last one's looked healthy then the fat one up and died and I was so confused and heartbroken.... I expected the other to go first if any did.... aaarrrrggghh.... I'm re-living all my mistakes right now and it's driving me NUTS! Is feeling this way normal? lol maybe I need to be vetted!
I hate that feeling! I don't know how the breeders do it! But here I sit, with sweet Festus on my lap, purring. She was so cute when she was born to a stray I found, April 7, 2004. She was the runt, but the spunkiest kitten. Little plain brown tiger girl. She is a love. Soon you will be overrun with sweetness. Try to think positive! What is that saying? Plan for the worst, but prepare for the best!!?!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Absolutely that is normal....especially when you don't know exactly "when" she is due. Earlier this year there were 2 posters who were both waiting for their cats to give birth and they kept each other sane by giving daily updates. Fortunately both delivered ok.

I know you are nervous....and you have every right to be....but we will all continue to send you positive thoughts and hope that this litter will be ok.

Katie

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm pretty sure she lost her mucous plug, and/or her water broke... her bottom was all wet when I woke up, so I cleaned her all off to make sure it isn't just pee, though she is usually meticulus about grooming... now I just have to wait and see, I hope I'm not excited over nothing yet..