Keep her or get rid of her

kittypdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is a hard thread to write. I like cats so much but it seems like this last cat i got has a screw loose. No, I think she is bi polar.

I adpoted this cat from someone who was moving, she is 9 months old, super cute. For the first three weeks she hissed at me, no big deal, she is scared and getting used to her surroundings but there are red flags that keep going up. I have owned 5 cats is my life, but nothing even close to the distemper this one has.

So check this out, cat is purring loving life, i am gently petting, being respectful as i knkw she is skiddish. Then wham! She hisses at me, bites me and draws blood. This has happened a couple times and it just comes out of left field. One minute purring the next is a freaky beast. So i am considering getting rid of her. Yes, sounds awful i know but why keep something that clearly does not appreciate who she is with. Anyway i would love feedback. Could this behavior be altered? Will she grow out of it?

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is someone I know that had the same problam and what happend with her cat was an accident. Someone went out the door and his escape attempt was sussesfull but when he got there he started with the exact same thing but nobody could figure out what was wrong he doesn't like to be petted that much so I would sayy that she is the samme way just watch the warning signs and if you cant handle it idk what to say but get uer checked out by a vet and ask themm because there might be something they can do.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a simple case of over stimulation, lots of cats gets this way.

No reason to rehome. Every cat will give you small signals that they are becoming overstimulated, you simply have to learn what her signals are and end the petting/play before she gets to that point.

Some signals are skin twitching, slight ear movements, tail twitches, and large pupils.

Not all cats will give the same signals, so you must observe her body language just prior to the behavior change.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a simple case of over stimulation, lots of cats gets this way.
No reason to rehome. Every cat will give you small signals that they are becoming overstimulated, you simply have to learn what her signals are and end the petting/play before she gets to that point.
Some signals are skin twitching, slight ear movements, tail twitches, and large pupils.
Not all cats will give the same signals, so you must observe her body language just prior to the behavior change.

:yeah: my Hope is exactly like that. With time I have learned for how long I can pet her, and most importantly, where. Cheeks and head are ok, belly and lower legs are a :nono: she hates grooming and that is done at my own risk :lol3:
Aside from that, she is the most loving kitty, sweet as honey, and I would never give up on my girl :heart3:

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't get rid of her, just learn to read her and know when to stop petting her.  I have one who doesn't like to be petted while she sleeps and she doesn't like her chin rubbed.  Those are immediate claw inducing triggers.  Start with just one or two strokes and enjoy her presence.  As she settles down, maybe she' ll allow more pets.  Also, look into some calming agents such as Feliway, Spirit Essences, or Rescue Remedy.  Those might help calm her down and de-stress.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Bellabear is like this. You are treading dangerously close to getting clawed if you pet her in an area that she doesn't like or touch her without permission...she is so gentle and sweet when she wants to be. It has to be on her terms. She is just a little wild cat! :) 

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i got a 10 mth old cat 3 weeks ago...but i had the oppisite problem..the first few weeks he would let me stroke him,and even come sit on my lap for short times..now he only lets me touch him if he wants too..and will not be picked up at all..

if i'm stroking him..he tell me ''thats enough''with a little nip..no blood though yet.

he was neutered last week..maybe he's holding this against me...suppose if i were a man i wouldn't be too pleased with me either....but he shouldn't have sprayed pee all over the house then....lol

i would just do what i do for now...ignore your cat completely...until your cats wants stroking..you'll know when its ok to stroke them..i'm learning fast as the scratches on my hand don't look pretty lol..

its very hard getting an older cat....a young kitten bonds with you from an early age and develops trust and knows you so well....an older cat who has lived else where..i think takes alot longer to trust you and create a bond.......

i had 2 cats from little kittens and they treated me  like the head cat...one use to lie on her back on my knee and loved a belly rub..and she followed me everywhere i went..even would sit on my shoulder's for a long time.(til she got too heavy that is)....she was like a total baby for me..the other cat wasn't the same..friendly on her own terms..and didn't follow me round unless she was hungry..spent alot of time outdoors ..but my overly friendly cat only went into the yard if she wanted the loo or i was sitting out there...

no two cats are the same...but it takes alot more hard work with an adult cat...then a kitten growing up with you..

i am in the exact same place with my cat now..as you are...lets just hope they learn to love us the way we love them too...

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat we just got her annd she treats me like I'm her mommy and she is an adult cat that I know of and she is so so sweet. She follows me around how did. She. Get attached to me so quick.

emmapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not much of an expert cos iv only had my two 8 week old kittens since Wednesday, but prior to that i had a black cat which was dumped on me by my sister but he has been missing for a month and a half :( . but my kittens were very wary of me and i asked my mum for advice and although she may not have realized it, she was a total genius!!! in less than 24 hours they both want my attention, like to be petted, purring a lot and liked to be picked up!! with hold food! its so simple and easy i don't know why i didn't try it on my sister's cat cos he wasn't very friendly at all. i think it might depend on age and experience of the cat but my mums advice worked well and this is how i did it. if your cat is inside at about 4 pm don't let him out and don't feed him, during the hours 4pm-10pm give a few tit-bits by hand only. make sure he goes all night without food but remember to always leave water down. in the morning (on a day off work would be best) pour some food in a bowl but be careful that your cat doesn't hear/know and sit in the lounge/living room with your cat in the room, still making sure he doesn't know you have food, hiding it under a cushion would be great. now when your cat comes to you cos it is hungry, pet it once and give it one biscuit/ piece of food at a time by hand only. each time make your stroke more soothing and longer. keep doing this until it eventually finds out you have a bowl of food put the food next to you and when your cat starts eating pet it in its favorite place. basically its showing that something good comes out of being petted and it just reinforces that positive feeling they get with a full belly and a nice scratch of the ears. cos i have kittens, older cats will take longer so just repeat the process every two days cos if you did it every day it means the cat could possibly go a whole day without eating.

let me know how it goes if you decide to try this. 

prior to me doing this i made sure the kittens had lots of toys and lots to do so try and get your cat to play more, the best toy i had i one of those sticks with feathers at the end and a laser pen came second.

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats can get too much loving and get overstimulated.

Gizmo would sometimes do this. He could take attention seemingly forever, and then out of the blue ... WHAM! He'd go after you like a little demon. Luckily, it took a really long time to reach his threshold, so it only ever happend a few times.

And Missy is very sensitive about where and when you can touch and how much. Her signals are easy to read, but she has such little tolerance that she can seem like a mean kitty when she really isn't.

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my cat as much attention as I can give her and she just layes there and loves it but when she has had eenough she will jump down she doesn't scratch us on perpose or anything

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for the great advice and I am keeping her! Her attitude has improved with hand feeding and a lot of just plain ignoring her. The more I left her alone the more she wanted me. I think she has learned that I am not a threat and if she is going to get attention she needs to behave or she just gets ignored for a couple days. Tough love but it works!

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tuff love is the only way with a cat....lol...dogs are easy..

my cat didn't really give me any love at all...i'd stroke him and he would move away...pick him up..he'd struggle to get away...it was so hard cos all i wanted was to show him some effection.

so i started ignoring him..and didn't even try stroking him at all for a few days....he did sleep on my bed at night,and play with his toys with me...rub up against my legs for food when i was in the kitchen like most cats will do...but he was no lap cat like the ones i had before..

after a few days..i think he felt lonely...lol...so to my surprise he started really trying to get my attention..so i started giving him a littel bit each day...

yesturday he let me stroke him for 20 minutes and was purring his head off....and last night outa the blue he jumped up on my knee purring like crazy..curled up on me and went to sleep...result...cats like thing to be on thier terms...they are not pack animals like dogs..but they still want effection and attention....you just gotta make them believe its on thier terms...reverse pycholigy works for most people...lol..and cats too..