Keep cat out of boxspring -URGENT! My roommate wants to get rid of her. :(

angela638x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here but this is an urgent request.

My cat ripped up my boxspring and gets inside and scratches around loudly so I can't get sleep. I cannot stop her from doing it. I bought this cover in hopes of stopping her but I'm panicking - if I can't get her to sleep in my room with me (with me getting rest!) my roommate is going to want me to get rid of her.

Do you guys think this will work from the description? It sounds like it is smooth, not like the gritty fabric of my actual box spring that she tore through. Please help!

Angela

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you already bought the cover, try it out and see if it works.  One thing to do is trim her claws and keep them trimmed.  This will keep her from getting as good a grip on everything.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domino did that - tore right through the cheap "dust cover" fabric on the underside of our box spring and was exploring around in there.

My husband fastened plywood to the underside of the box spring. Permanent solution unless we get termites.

So that's an option if your zippered cover doesn't work (but I think it should.) Do let us know how it turned out.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fosters used to hide inside a boxsprings that had a hole in the underneath material. I stapled an old sheet over the flimsy existing material and that did the trick.

bkydrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I bought some fake leather fabric and stapled it to the bottom of the box spring.  My bed is just a double bed so the fabric was wide enough to cover the entire bottom of the box spring.  My cat, Desi, wasn't able to get a grip on the fake leather and subsequently lost all interest in the bottom of the boxspring.  Before I did this, she thought rumaging around inside the boxspring was a great adventure.  I worried about her getting got on something when I wouldn't be there to rescue her and also she would try to eat the loose boxspring threads.  Stapling the fabric worked perfectly.  The fabric still has no scratches on it.

That type of fabric is hard to fine nowadays.  I think anything sturdy that has a smooth surface would work.

Good luck, Denise

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto on the plywood suggestion. Cardboard most likely works, too, especially if it's nice thick cardboard like the type that comes in boxes holding big appliances. (Unless your cat likes tearing up cardboard; in that case you're back to plywood.)

Another option would be to buy a really big dog crate and put your cat and her bed, food, water, and litter in that for the night. She'll protest at first, but she'll get used to it. Got to be a really big crate, though, not just a little carrier.