Keep cat out of bedroom at night

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my 18-month old cat for about 7 months. I am moving to a bigger apartment tomorrow, and that apartment has a bedroom with a door (unlike my current apartment, a studio). I am tempted to keep my cat out of the bedroom at night, but I'm afraid he'll hate me forever. Will it destroy our bond if I do this, or will he eventually adjust?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have sleep apnea and have not allowed any of our I think 7 cats (over the years) to sleep with us. In fact, for many years, they have slept in a furnished basement. All our cats have loved us dearly and been affectionate.

No, the real issue you are going to face is that he may scratch at the door. If you dont give in and ignore him, it should stop . . . but the timetable ranges from days to weeks. And I've seen a couple of poor sods report that it never stopped, but thats super rare -- provided you never give in. If you give in, and open the door at 3 am, all bets are off.

Scratching at the door isn't an "I hate you for excluding me thing." Rather, cats dont like to be excluded from any part of a house, ever. Ok, granted, they like being excluded from their humans even less, but they can absolutely get used to it.

You might get lucky if you start right after you move. Absolutely don't think well he is adjusting, I'll start in a week. Your best shot at a smooth painless transition is right when you move.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I shut my cat out at night. Mainly because my dog can be iffy and I don't want to risk any kind of altercation while I'm asleep.

He did initially pitch a bit of a fit, and occasionally still comes to my door and tries to scratch on it or push it open, usually in the morning when he thinks it is time to wake up. But overall he adjusted to the rule fine.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats adjusted to the "no kitties in the room at bedtime" rule. It took some time. Neither scratched at the door. One meowed incessantly so I just turned up the radio. She learned. I also have a timed feeder drop kibble at 2am so that helps. Once in a while one of them feels their oats and tries to sneak in or hide in the room at bedtime, but they both accept it (they just get annoyed when I pick them up and evict them. One sleeps in the cat tree most of the night, while the other sleeps in a cat bed by my bedroom door.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You might get lucky if you start right after you move. Absolutely don't think well he is adjusting, I'll start in a week. Your best shot at a smooth painless transition is right when you move.
I completely agree! :agree:

Our last cat was extremely persistent and didn't give up. Every night for months on end she not only scratched at our bedroom door but literally jumped and tried to force the door open. Long story short, we gave her our spare bedroom, put her food, litter box, bed and toys in there and closed the door at night. She was quiet as a church mouse after that. :zzzcat: Problem solved!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If there is no particular issue going on as some above have mentioned, what is your reasoning for doing so? If you don't have a problem, I would go with the old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he will adjust just make really sure you have completely cat proofed your new place from kitchen area to any/all loose wires around tv /pc etc.cause he will prowl around late night while you sleep game over for your sleep if he figures out knocking things off counters table etc wakes you up in the middle of the night and gets the door open :lol:if he isnt bothering you much just allow him to keep sleeping with you. there is also nothing wrong with kicking him out for the night either if you have an s.o. staying the night etc choice is yours n the end but he will adjust

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my 18-month old cat for about 7 months. I am moving to a bigger apartment tomorrow, and that apartment has a bedroom with a door (unlike my current apartment, a studio). I am tempted to keep my cat out of the bedroom at night, but I'm afraid he'll hate me forever. Will it destroy our bond if I do this, or will he eventually adjust?
Why do you desire to keep the kitty out? I love it that three of my 4 indoor/outdoor kitties sleep in the bedroom with me, one in a little covey hole in the night-stand, one between my legs on the bed, and one sometimes next to my head on the bed. I feel their psi-presence, and it is good.

Alpha Kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If there is no particular issue going on as some above have mentioned, what is your reasoning for doing so? If you don't have a problem, I would go with the old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
I have problems waking up during the night, and I'm not sure if it's due to my kitty. It might not be.....but I guess I want to see if it is.