Keep cat from scratching bedroom door

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I recently moved into a new apartment, which has an upstairs area and a downstairs area. My cat immediately hid downstairs, where my bedroom is, but is now feeling much more at ease, and is hanging out upstairs, etc. I had a door installed yesterday at the bottom of the stairs (there is an opening to the bedroom area, but there wasn't a door), and last night he was scratching, meowing, possibly hurling himself against it (not sure--heard something but had earplugs in). 

I am a poor sleeper, and I've almost never had my cat spend the night in my bed (that's where he would sleep, or walk over, or bound onto, or just say 'hello' very loudly at 5am...); I've always had my bedroom door closed, and it hasn't been an issue. But maybe because it's a new place, he's anxious to be with me wherever I am...

Anyway, I feel terrible for him that he is trying to get through the door, and I also feel terrible that I still cannot sleep! I was just reading about Scat Mat--would that be a good thing to put in front of door, or would that deter him forever from coming downstairs (i don't really want that)? Or will he eventually stop meowing/scratching the door once he gets used to it? It's very unnerving knowing he's anxiously trying to get in...Not sure it's the whole night, but...

Thanks for reading the post! Any advice is welcome! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response--That is a possibility, though the space may not allow for it. Also looking at some mats with spiky things, and considering the 'shock' mat...I just don't want to deter him from *ever* coming downstairs (shock mat would do that, right?)...

zekesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try putting a little vicks vapo rub on a tissue and wipe his side of the door bottom. It doesnt take much, cats avoid that smell. Youll only smell it when you first apply it.

shanef

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've experienced this same problem and have had success with throwing a pillow or a nerf ball at the door just to make a little bit of noise. This worked for Ralphie and now he doesn't really bother us at night. 

There's definitely a long adjustment period too though (we recently moved as well), so I would expect your cat to get more used to it soon!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response--That is a possibility, though the space may not allow for it. Also looking at some mats with spiky things, and considering the 'shock' mat...I just don't want to deter him from *ever* coming downstairs (shock mat would do that, right?)...
what the hell? shock mats? are you trying to fry your poor kitties or something? just throw a slipper or a pillow at the door, they get the hint eventually.