Kat Reacting To Pain Meds

rink23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Kat, just had her annual checkup and while most things came back all right, there were some dental issues -- two teeth yanked -- and a growth removed from one of her gums.
Since coming home Thursday p.m., she's been taking buprenorphine (small doses three times daily for a week), onsior (once a day for two days, we're done with that) and clavamox (twice a day for one more day).
This is the first time I have had to medicate her to this extent and I am wondering if there is anything to how she is reacting. (Kat is my first cat).
She's eating and drinking and seems to be using the litter box.
She's sleeping constantly for long stretches and doesn't seem to want to exert herself. I have to lift her into her favorite sleeping places/hangouts.
When she wants attention, she lays on her belly to have it rubbed and rolls around like she's agony/ecstacy, stretching herself out as much as she can.
Looks like videos I have seen on cats reacting to catnip. Kat could care less about catnip.
And she is constantly rubbing her head up against hard objects.
I am sure this is fairly normal behavior considering the surgery and the drugs, but I am looking for reassurance as this is the first time we have dealt with this. -- MIKE.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds normal after being under anesthesia and on all that medication. If there is anything majorly concerning that comes up you can probably ring your vet to have them recheck her. Sounds pretty average though after all she has been through. How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rink23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kat will be 10 in May.

rink23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had her since August of 2012, when she moved in after I believe she was probably abandon.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had surgery, rink23 rink23 ? General anesthesia can take a while to make its way totally out of the system. After my gall bladder was removed it took two days before my eyes would focus properly. Add in pain relievers and it sounds normal to me.

An adverse reaction would most likely be an allergy: trouble breathing or itchy skin, something like that. That ecstasy writhing you report is a typical cat thing. It can be to get the catnip scent all over the fur, but it can also be a way to scratch the back, to say "Oh, nice! Do that some more," or simply to move the place that really wants scratching right under your fingers.

If you're still concerned, call your vet and ask whether this is normal, but it's certainly not an emergency.

Margret

rink23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am pretty sure she is fine. I know all about major surgery. Probably in a little bit of pain and a little bit stoned. Just needed some reassurance (as she jumps on the couch for the first time in a few days to sit in my lap. -- Tx. -- MIKE.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of the things we're here for, offering reassurance when it's warranted, and telling people to call the emergency vet when it isn't. :)

Margret