Juvenile litter habits?

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a kitten to be less competent at litter etiquette and is this something one would expect they will grow out of, even if they are post-learning-from-mother?

Background: I've had River (my first cat and pet) for five years, and he is a very well behaved and domesticated cat. The only toilet issues I have and do have with him is, for reasons I haven't determined but I seem to happen mid-zoomies, he may leave singular nuggets of poop out of the tray, but this is the exception rather than the norm. Other than that, my experience with him is well buried poop. I use litter tray liners because I do not have the spoons to wash the actual tray, so I just use liners which allow me to simply pick it all up within the liner, bin it, and replace with fresh litter - River has never had an issue with this - earlier liners I used he would puncture, but I moved onto a thicker brand and it's all been fine since, with little leakage.

Lillie is my new cat, she's just over six months now. Her toileting habits are, in comparison with River, poor. She gets the steps right but isn't that good at it. She will dig a corner of the litter before she toilets (so far so good), but seems to both over-dig slightly and dig too far out - in that she will end up moving all the litter from that area, reaching the liner, and continuing to attempt to dig, which ends up dragging the liner off and into the tray, ripping into it. The fact there is no longer any litter to fig through doesn't seem to register, she continues the same motions (on the few times she's completely moved the liner off a corner, she may continue to make the digging motions on the actual tray itself).
Then she will toilet and it's not necessarily in the same place she just dug up (although it can be). Sometimes it's just adjacent.
And then she will do the burying motions, but rarely is she actually burying what she just excremented, usually she is covering a completely different spot. And will continue to bury until she reaches the liner and starts ripping into that. She does this even to the point where the height of the pile of litter she has just made is higher than the litter tray itself, so that I have to make sure I tip and shake the tray slightly before removing the lid otherwise it will spill out.

So in short, she appears to insensitively know the three toileting steps, but doesn't seem to actually think and make them apply to each other. Is it usual for a young cat to be less good at this and get better over time, or is this just a Lillie thing I will have to learn to live with now that she's six months and is past the stage where cats learn from their mothers? (Although maybe she will learn from River, she does sometimes seem interested in sticking her head into the litter box River is using, which I am sure thrills him ...)

To offer myself a possible solution, it may be I need a bigger litter box - I have three trays as per the x+1 rule, two which are the same size and a bit larger, and then one which is more kitten-sized, so smaller (and the ideal size to fit in my corridor without blocking the way, the only real place left for it). For the last couple of weeks, Lillie has been recovering from her spay, so she's been in a cone. To make it easier for her, I've taken the lid off of her tray (and temporarily relocated it to the living room, as she was confined there during the first few days), and to prevent mess, placed it in a cardboard box with one side cut out. I'm glad I did because watching her poop without the lid, she clearly likes to stay on the edge - both when digging and burying, and also toileting. Culminating in a few hours ago where she pretty much had her but almost against the cardboard box (so just over the edge of the tray - if the box wasn't there, she would've been pooping outside the tray). So it seems like she's quickly overgrown the tray size (or at least in regards to how she toilets - River rarely, if ever, uses her tray - but I have seen him go once, and he had no problem despite its smaller size ...).

But Lillie has and does use the bigger trays, and while the above issues happen is less magnitude, they do happen - she seems keen to toilet at the edge, evidence suggests digging, toileting and burying irrespective of each other, and she does dig at the liner when she gets past the litter.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My litter boxes are storage beens. 2 are heavy duty, 18 inch high,other container store,almost 30inch length.the litter I use is a&h slide. Glad you are not using tops. It is very important to occasionally watch them pee or poo. My litter scoops are metal. You clean with wipes

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who has always had trouble using the litter box (read: she has spent long periods of time not using one at all) so I would actually give Lillie an A+ in toileting skills! Any cat who uses a litter box 100% of the time gets an A+ in my book!

That said, I have cared for cats who do the same thing with the liner. It seems like some cats like to pull at it/dig at it, so you could try a litter box without a liner if you want to see how she does. She might be more obsessed with figuring that out and less focused on burying her business.

She might grow out of her vigorous digging, or she might not. I think your idea about getting a bigger box is great. You could also experiment with different litter types in the new box to see if she likes them and if they are easier for you to clean.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have a big box of liners from 20 yrs ago. My cat did not like them. I keep forgetting to throw them away or give

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd get rid of the liners and just buy a scoop. They're not that expensive, you can pick them up on the cheap at Wal-Mart. It sounds to me like she doesn't like the liners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad you are not using tops.
To clarify, I am using tops. I’ve just taken it off of the one (the smaller one) that I’m keeping in the room she was confined in during the first few days of her recovery and while she has her cone breaks - simply because with the lid on she’d have it difficult moving around without knocking her cone on the sides. The other two that are downstairs still have their lid on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is about time to get rid of her kitten sized litter box. If you have two large boxes and scoop them daily you can
probably get by without a third. But two or three, her litter box habits won’t likely change and I wouldn’t consider it a big deal. Some cats had a ritual to using the box that makes little sense to us but seems to work for them. If she doesn’t cover well in the end, your other cat may pick up the slack.

I do use puppy pad litter box liners because they help from getting stinky wet clumps in the corners and keep the box cleaner. Sometimes they get do get shredded a bit but never to the point where they leak, and a few bits of liner in the litter doesnt really have any negative affect on the litter or the cats.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I think from the advise I’ve formed an action plan - it seems clear whatever else, the kitten litter tray needs to be bigger if I’m keeping a third one (which I think I’m probably going to do just based on the n+1 rule and the fact I know that the cats seem to have a practice of rotating which two they poop in and which one they pee in (or at least River does?) which seems to benefit from three trays).

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve bought an identical litter tray model to the one I had before Lillie which is the deepest of the three and seems to suffer the least, if at all, from Lillie’s tendency to want to stay to the edge.
Although interestingly I just did a comparative measure and it’s only 5cm longer, 1cm wider and 5cm deeper. I guess that makes all the difference! 😅

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also find it funny that Lillie struggles to toilet in the middle of a tray designed for a smaller cat, but River a cat twice her size, has no problem doing so. It’s an amusing site seeing a cat longer than the tray itself stand in the middle of it, his legs all balancing inwards.

pictured: Lillie wondering what River is doing digging at ‘her’ tray immediately before toileting in it:
A949E5BC-3A7F-4D10-9D8F-939A52594CC6.jpeg

That being said straight after he went, he went downstairs to use one of the larger trays so I guess it was okay as a urinal but not for solid waste for him!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6 months, that is more or less how they use the box. I don’t think you can train her to be polite about the litter box. So I would suggest you remove the liners completely and replace 1 box with a large storage tub or a Buddha dome. See how it works & if it works, replace the other two boxes.

If you are using crystal of wood pellet litter, that may be part of the problem. This is the tub I gave my cat, next to his “large” high sided litter box (that he still kicks litter out of!) I’m looking for a second smooth bottom tub.

Attachments