Just Worried @ Mommy Leon. She's Still Nursing After 9wks! And Is In 2nd Heat Since Delivery...

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first cat...
And my first 'mommy' cat...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is not unusual for a cat to still be nursing for months even after having kittens. When she is tired of nursing she will let her kittens know.

In the meantime, you can go ahead and get her spayed. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wonderful!
can she nurse when spayed?

or will she try and let them nurse, and the babies will hurt her?​

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But you can go on and get her spayed, which will stop the heat cycles. She may even continue to nurse when she gets back from the vet. Spaying is a very small incision now. If the babies hurt her she'll stop them nursing, either way the babies will be fine. Everyone will be better off if she doesn't have more kittens. She will be happy to care for this little family for the rest of her life. More would wear out her health.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat was spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She came home and nursed the same day and for weeks afterward. I did give her pain meds for 3 days. But if your cat does not feel like nursing she will let her kittens know. They are eating solids now, right?

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling a bit better.
thx so much..
yes, no more babies! she was only 7 and a half months when she got pregnant, and quite small.

i took the avatar 2weeks ago

she has been weening them off, very slowly since about 5wks old, and they have kitten food, grain free, and have slowly been increasing their intake ever since mommy started cutting them off , lol

she may not nurse 1 hour, 8 times a day. but she is nursing about 4 times a day, for about 5-10 minutes.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What fun. yes, go on and get her spayed, you have the perfect group there. here's something no one told us, and our cat nursed until the kits were twice her size. She didn't litter box train them until they were weaned. It was serious with 10 lb kittens. ;)

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, well,

at wereabout 4wks, they started to wander out of the bedroom, with their nesting box in it...

i would just sit with them and pick them up randomly and set them in mommy's litterbox in the hallway.

tommi thought he was having a beach party, lol

4 others, actually squated and used it the very first time...

but the long haired tuxedo, "Flower", is terrified. he wont go near it, and if i try to set him inside, he claws his way up my arm!!!!!

im worried about him, cuz i dont know what todo

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
here they were, 6weeks

3 black
2 seal point
1 tuxedo, a mini mommy twin, with gobbs of long thick hair

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for Flower, try this, we got a rubber mat like the kind you put in a bath tub to keep from slipping. The we poured a little wheat litter, not clay, but wheat which is very soft on it. Sweet Gum adored it. First she played like your Tommi, then she got it. We let her used that for a couple of weeks until her legs got longer.

Flower's paws may be more sensitive than the others or he may still be working on his stretching and climbing muscles.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So brave, I'm glad they've got the dog to help protect them in the big bad world.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh yes, i iook them out only 3 times in whenlast 3weeks.

my dog was with us

they really enjoyed the fresh air.

we have 8ft concrete wall around yard, so i felt safe for 5 minutes on the porch. with my dog.

my dog actually alerted me 3 different times since the babies were being born.

once, he barked and woke me up when mommy was pushing 1st baby out.

another time, they were about 5 days old, and i guess mommy wanted to move them and got confused. when jackson barked , i ran out and mommy was in hallway, staring at her baby on the floor..so i picked baby up and followed mommy to another nesting box in another room.

she layed in it with baby, and i went back and got the other 5 and brought them to her.

a 3rd time, jackson barked and i found mommy and a kitten on my bed in my bedroom. again, mommy looked at me, confused., so i picked up baby and followed mommy

she took me to my bottom dresser drawer . she climbed in, i handed her baby and went and got the others for her

it's been 6wks and she still uses that drawer to nurse them and take a nap sometimes .

jackson aint a fan of cats, but he warned me all 3 times when something wasnt quite right...

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mommy got pregnant, i was told she was a boy.

until a cat came thru my doggy door and attacked her.

that's when i learned she was a girl, and the vet cancelled the neutering appt i had already scheduled for 1 month later.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am keeping all, unless a close person i know comes along, and proves to me that they will love them as much as i do

i have tons of people asking, but so far i have only 1 that has a home, because i trust my dear friend who wants her.

here is baby#2, named bunni.

she is a seal point , and my dear friend is taking her at 12wks, when i
Capture+_2019-07-03-23-04-11.png
know mommy is done weening

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Capture+_2019-07-03-23-07-30.png
iam keeping baby #3, named sassi.

she is shy and timid and i dont want her with a stranger, scared and afraid

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
here is Tommi

baby #6

iam keeping him, because he wasnt breathing when born, and mommy left him laying in the sac.

i had to get the sac off and clear his nose and throat and get him breathing and dried off.

he loves the litter box