just wondering what kinda of breed??

loud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay ive seen these cats on movies and they are like a big house cat like tiger like.. does any1 kno what im talking about i heard they were about like 1500$ or something just wondering if any1 can fill me in on a breed thatd be cool..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
welcome to TCS picture or a link would be helpful ...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loud

okay ive seen these cats on movies and they are like a big house cat like tiger like.. does any1 kno what im talking about i heard they were about like 1500$ or something just wondering if any1 can fill me in on a breed thatd be cool..
might be a toyger

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe bengals or savannah's? Some are bigger than others. Some people do actually keep exotic pets like tigers as well so there is no telling if its an actual tiger.

There are many hybrid breed as well that can get rather large. The 2 I mentioned as well as Safari, Habari, Chausies, Pixiebobs. Toygers are descended from bengals which are also a hybrid with an Asian Leopard Cat so that could be a possibility but they are not that big.

gia_c

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
o my gosh! i didnt think that kind of cat would exist!! i wonder what their personality is like?? very interesting!!

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could be a Cheetah - depends on the film you saw and how old it is... some people do keep them as pets (or used to), or one of those american bobcats ?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gia_c

o my gosh! i didnt think that kind of cat would exist!! i wonder what their personality is like?? very interesting!!
It's still in it's developmental stage and it will be a long time (if ever) before they get the breed to fit the standard they've set for it. Personality probably is mostly like a bengal since bengals are used extensively and almost exclusively in the development of the toyger breed. It is an interesting breed and im excited to see how it develops over the coming years!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh my goodness, Laureen, I thought you were JOKING. Wow, they are beautiful!
aren't they? someone sent me the link from the favorite wild cat thread. i said that tigers were my favorite wild cat, & how i'd like a house-cat sized version, thinking there would never be one - but there is/will be!

cherriey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my GOSH! *fawns over the pics* I had no idea they'd actually managed to get those markings and that coloring on a domestic cat! I have always admired tigers for their beauty but was a little bit leery of owning one for obvious reasons; but THIS! I could hang out with one of these gorgeous wee ones! Thanks for bringing our attention to it! These cats are amazing! I agree; I'm curious about their temperment too!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

It's still in it's developmental stage and it will be a long time (if ever) before they get the breed to fit the standard they've set for it. Personality probably is mostly like a bengal since bengals are used extensively and almost exclusively in the development of the toyger breed. It is an interesting breed and im excited to see how it develops over the coming years!
Bengals are really impressive, BUT what happens to the wild ones - the ones who are bred to to get the beautiful spots and coloring? They and the first offspring are not good pets so once their breeding days are over do they just get put to sleep or put on a wild cat santuary?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

Bengals are really impressive, BUT what happens to the wild ones - the ones who are bred to to get the beautiful spots and coloring? They and the first offspring are not good pets so once their breeding days are over do they just get put to sleep or put on a wild cat santuary?
Many of the ones that are four generations from wild are kept by breeders or other experienced cat owners... a few folks here have f2 or f3 s and say there quite tame... and f4 is a sbt or foundation cat that is no longer considered wild

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually, there is no need to breed the F generation cats anymore. The spots/coats on the SBT generation are more impressive then the F generation IMO. Because the bengal is not in it's developmental stage any longer breeding good quality SBT bengal to SBT bengal produces awesome offspring. Breeders are still trying to perfect the breed but they can do that using SBT bengals. There are very few breeders breeding F generation bengal anymore and the ones that do are generally quite responsible making sure that the cats are socialized at an early age and if they need to be placed they place them only in homes that can handle an F generation cat.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I have met men who successfully keep full blood caracals, servals, and bobcats as pets. They use the littlerbox, the scratchpost, and often sleep in bed with their owners. They have a different temperament, but are smart enough to be socialized. They are not kept in cages, fed innapropriate things, or abused. Only irresponsible ones do this. I have not yet met an irresponsible one, though there are a lot. I just like ppl to know that it can be done.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

F1&2 bengals can actually be the biggest sweeties! When you take an F1 or F2 (but mostly an F1) you are looking at caring for them for life because they will not rehome well. Also there is a good chance an F1 won't produce kittens. Any breeder that has an F1 should understand teh risk. Also nowadays most all breeders for F1's/Early generation pull the kits and bottle raise them so they are human dependant and grow up to be sweet loving cats. I've never heard of someone having problems with them as far as temperment.

There might be more early generation breeders than you realize. It is still done to stengthen lines. If every bengal were related to the same ALC that could invite disaster if something were to target a gene that every bengal might carry. Therefore other ALC's are being brought in producing younger more diverse lines.

Its true though that the markings are not as prominant in EG as they are in later generations. Early generations have smaller denser spotting as my girl does. Teh rosettes are not as complete as you might see in a later generation bengal. However, there are still traits that breeders are working on strengthening ie. white tummy with inky black spots. In later generations this becomes a very light brown instead of white.

cherriey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never been in a position (financially or living quarters-wise) to have one of the larger wild cats.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

F1&2 bengals can actually be the biggest sweeties! When you take an F1 or F2 (but mostly an F1) you are looking at caring for them for life because they will not rehome well. Also there is a good chance an F1 won't produce kittens. Any breeder that has an F1 should understand teh risk. Also nowadays most all breeders for F1's/Early generation pull the kits and bottle raise them so they are human dependant and grow up to be sweet loving cats. I've never heard of someone having problems with them as far as temperment.

There might be more early generation breeders than you realize. It is still done to stengthen lines. If every bengal were related to the same ALC that could invite disaster if something were to target a gene that every bengal might carry. Therefore other ALC's are being brought in producing younger more diverse lines.

Its true though that the markings are not as prominant in EG as they are in later generations. Early generations have smaller denser spotting as my girl does. Teh rosettes are not as complete as you might see in a later generation bengal. However, there are still traits that breeders are working on strengthening ie. white tummy with inky black spots. In later generations this becomes a very light brown instead of white.
It's true that were still trying to perfect the breed with small things like white tummies, wilder experession,ect but we can do that using only SBT's it will just take longer. Now that we get pretty predictable results breeding bengal to bengal. My really roufesed boy had a very whited expression still and he's an SBT, so it can be done. Most of my litters have very dark, inky spots even on the goldens because my boy carries for very dark spots, and he is an SBT.
Even if you bring in a new ALC and breed it to a bengal your still using the same old lines because the bengal would have those old ALC lines. However, they are so far in the distant past with a lot of SBT's that I wouldn't say they are causing any trouble. Every breed needs to outcross every now and then IMO to keep the lines healthy though.
The problem is that a lot of people think bengal breeders MUST use the ALC to get these nice looking bengals and I wanted people to knw that we no longer do have to use wild cats, it's just not nessacery. If we work hard enough to breed for specific traits we won't need to take short cuts.