Just wondering if my cat might be anything other than run of the mill ordinary

parkersdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Obviously to me he's the best cat ever but I mean color/breed detail wise. I don't know if the pictures will do him justice but he's huge. Muscular build. 18lbs. Not sure on length. Almost 3 and still seems to be growing. Anyways heres parker

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is huge without being fat, its very probable he has an Ancestor; probably a maine coon...
But its guesses... As for today, we count him as a domestic shorthari, DSH Blue / grey and white bicolor, in the high white Harlequine pattern.
Ps; I dont see properly; are there tabby markings on these gray spots? They may be easier to see on the tail... If so, he will be a blue tabby and white, etc...

Ps 2- I like the last photo, where he is yawning and strecthing his paw to you... You know its both gestures of love and friendship??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parkersdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes we have quite the bond. He does have some brown on his tail and his back paws. Here is a better picture.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, tx.... So he is a tabby after all, although not grey / blue, but sooner black / brown (its the same, but differently called in different associations).

So, domestic shorthair, brown tabby and white, in the harlequine pattern.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ. Black-based mackerel tabby with high white spotting Domestic Shorthair, would be my guess. Not particularly likely to have any breed in particular; if he is continuously gaining weight, be careful that he doesn’t become obese as the initial growth period slows down. Big boys can be prone to this and the extra fat around their groin can make them more susceptible to urinary issues. (I too have a large moggy boy who loves his food).

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying, “No ordinary cat there”. My gosh he’s beautiful. I had a cat many years ago that looked like him, but about 15 pounds smaller lol, they told me calico but there was hidden colors on the paws.

I think the breed is “Gorgeous”. Have you measured him stretched out.

parkersdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying, “No ordinary cat there”. My gosh he’s beautiful. I had a cat many years ago that looked like him, but about 15 pounds smaller lol, they told me calico but there was hidden colors on the paws.

I think the breed is “Gorgeous”. Have you measured him stretched out.
I have not but he has a vet appt in a week. He might not still be growing. It's hard with a big cat to tell. He might be overweight but he's definitely not fat. I've seen fat cats 😂. I definitely know he could get there though. I wish I knew what his parents look like because he really is the most beautiful cat I've ever seen. His face is just so adorable and just his coloring and the little thumbprint on the back of his neck. Having a big cat I think it would be weird to have a normal size cat in the future 😂

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
parkersdad parkersdad he might carry the genetics that were used to make a cat breed, rather than be a cat who is a mixed of breeds. Many cat breeds are realitively new. Usually crossing between different breeds or crossing a breed with some kind of other desirable genetics/look. There's always some that don't work out that way, but they still go on to carry those genes. ()

parkersdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
parkersdad parkersdad he might carry the genetics that were used to make a cat breed, rather than be a cat who is a mixed of breeds. Many cat breeds are realitively new. Usually crossing between different breeds or crossing a breed with some kind of other desirable genetics/look. There's always some that don't work out that way, but they still go on to carry those genes. ()
He's just very unique and I know people always think that about their cat but he really is, looks and personality.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
He's just very unique and I know people always think that about their cat but he really is, looks and personality.
And if there weren’t so many kittens and cats already in the world needing homes, those good unique traits would be great things to make new breeds around. Most breeds started with a handful of individuals with unique traits trying to select for those traits while breeding.
As it is, I have trouble recommending anyone with unpapered cats breeding them in hopes of starting new breeds; it’s too easy to wind up with too many kittens and the breed never becoming recognized. I have some beautiful, unusual cats and I would love to pass their genetics into a new breed, but I can’t in good conscience do it. Too many cats needing adopted.
That’s part of the fun of adopting moggy cats; there are so few papered cats that your cat is likely to have some traits that aren’t found or documented in any breed! They’re all individual and unique!