Just watching a really good film

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen it - Journeyman? I'd never heard of it and it was on as background more than anything else but I started watching.

It's a UK film, about the aftermath of a boxer who suffers a traumatic brain injury. Not an action film but rather a slow build.

The focus isn't on the fighting, but the impact of his injury on his wife and baby. So far a very thoughtful film, superb acting.

I had planned to record it and go to bed but I've kept watching..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was really, really excellent. Not an exciting film, if you see what I mean, but superbly done. There isn't lots of action other than a few fight scenes. They never say what the brain injury is, and you don't see him lying in a hospital bed for most of the film; it's about the day to day struggles and frustrations at home that he and his wife experience.

Some shocking moments and some that made me hug the pillow. And several that made me cry into the same pillow. Paddy Considine is a criminally underrated actor.

Another film like this - utterly different scenario, couldn't get more of a difference - is Maggie. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Abigail Breslin. Again a very slow build, almost no action as such. I think people went to see it expecting something entirely different from what they got...

Basically it's a zombie film but the virus develops slowly and is treated like an illness. It details Arnie as a devastated father watching his daughter slowly succumb to it and what the family go through. It shows a totally different side of Arnie's acting, he was brilliant. Abigail Breslin excellent as Maggie. Won't get an award for the happiest film of the year but that's not the aim.

Nobody runs round shooting zombies, it's a different take on the genre. Again a very thoughtful - though dark - film.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree I really enjoyed Maggie and was shocked at how good Arnie was in it. I'll definitely watch Journeyman if I spot it on sky it sounds good. Thankyou for letting us know.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is great in it, isn't he? I like different takes on things, especially in a genre which has been done to death (no pun intended lol). And they just nailed the whole thing.

I was half thinking I was the only person on the planet who's watched Maggie, most people seem not to have heard of it :)

Warm Bodies is another one that I really enjoyed though I appreciate people called it Twilight with zombies!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is great in it, isn't he? I like different takes on things, especially in a genre which has been done to death (no pun intended lol). And they just nailed the whole thing.

I was half thinking I was the only person on the planet who's watched Maggie, most people seem not to have heard of it :)

Warm Bodies is another one that I really enjoyed though I appreciate people called it Twilight with zombies!
Yes Warm Bodies is another good one. Even though I love a good zombie film I do enjoy seeing a different take on them.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was telling my sister about the film and she recommended another one with Paddy Considine in it - 'Dead Man's Shoes'. I've not seen it but she says it is really good.

Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - IMDb