Just rescued an adorable 4 mo male kitty

kittytchr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and one of my two cats is just furious at us !!   Riley, the 16 yr old orange tabby is just ignoring the new little guy....la di dah.  But, Cami, the two yr. old female orange tabby has gone ballistic !

We have followed all the suggested introductory ideas:

Kept the new guy in our bathroom with litter box, toys, food, for a week.  The other two cats sort of wandered over there curious about the little plaintiff meows.

Once we allowed a short introduction, the old cat just wandered off, bored.  The 2 yr. old hissed, growled, and stared.  

We put the kitty back in the bathroom for several more days and only presented him in a carrier.  They hissed and growled at each other.

Finally, after two weeks, our vet said we should try putting them together in a controlled way ( separate litter boxes, food dishes and sleeping separately with only supervised time together).

We had high hopes as the hissing and growling lessened and they seemed to reach a detente ( or as my vet put it......a "begrunging acceptance".

Today it all ended when the female 2 yr old tabby really tried to attack the kitty.  She hissed and charged the kitty.  It was a huge step backwards.  She is asleep now right here next to me and we shut her in our bedroom.

I don't know what to do next !!!

HELP !!

I am a full-time working teacher and can't let them be alone together.

Ideas ????

love4cats2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might want to try switching the cats' territories, give the kitten a chance to freely explore and mark the rest of the house and put the 2 year old in the kitty's room so he can get use to the kitten's scent/ odor, also switching cat beds, blankets and/or toys will achieve the same goal. After that try giving them some treats at the same time but with a barrier between them so they can connect other cat odor (unknown) with yummy (good) treats in their minds. There are lots of informative videos in You Tube by Jackson Galaxy's My Cat from Hell, he tells you the how to about everything related to cats' behaviors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittytchr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great ideas.....
My husband and I went out last night and left Cami and Riley ( 16 and 2 yrs) alone in our bedroom with litter box and food and put Lucca ( 4 mos) in the rest of the house with the older cats' litterbox and food. We came home to Lucca asleep in my husband's office on his desk ! The other two were asleep in their climbing tree in our room ( their usual daily hangout.
It may be the way to go for awhile....
We put Riley ( 16) with Lucca, the baby, together for awhile this am and they do just fine.....
We just have Cami to conquer.
Thanks for your help !

kittytchr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great ideas.....
My husband and I went out last night and left Cami and Riley ( 16 and 2 yrs) alone in our bedroom with litter box and food and put Lucca ( 4 mos) in the rest of the house with the older cats' litterbox and food. We came home to Lucca asleep in my husband's office on his desk ! The other two were asleep in their climbing tree in our room ( their usual daily hangout.
It may be the way to go for awhile....
We put Riley ( 16) with Lucca, the baby, together for awhile this am and they do just fine.....
We just have Cami to conquer.
Thanks for your help !

love4cats2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:clap:You're very welcome, anything I can do to ease the life of my feline friends and their caretakers makes me happy. Thank you for the opportunity to be of help.

love4cats2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot, it's important that Riley the 2 year old cat gets used to the kitty's scent so if you can put the kitty's blanket or something with his scent/odor in your room when you live the adult cats in there it will be great. Also remember to give them treats when they are close to each other but CANNOT SEE EACH OTHER. The point is to get Riley to associate the kitty's scent with good things like treats or your scent. Let me know how it goes.

kittytchr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things have improved today ! Having Cami, the 2 yr old spend;more time in my room and having the baby kitty spend more time with my husband, seems to have done the trick ! Cami is happier. A few hisses today but no "charging" or growling.
I have renewed hope !
This site is great. thanks......