Just noticed a patch of missing fur

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just noticed my DLH, Magnus, has a very small spot of missing hair up between his shoulder blades. The skin does not look scabby or anything, just there's a little bit of fur missing (the spot is maybe a third the size of my pinky nail, so not very noticeable unless he bends his neck forward and he's crouched a certain way.

He's indoor only, almost 14 months old. He used to be a feral, but we adopted him at 5 months and at that time he had been given a dewormer, flea medicine etc (though he did not give any signs of having worms or fleas). 

I don't think we have fleas in our apartment, though I suppose it's possible somebody could have walked on in on their clothes. That being said, my husband is allergic to fleas and he always knows if there are any fleas around because he reacts badly to them.

I know I've read sometimes if a cat is missing some fur it can be allergies. We have not changed his food (he gets a rotation of 4-5 brands of mostly grain-free wet food and some raw),

My vet is closed until Monday; I am going to call them at that time and see what they think but I'm stuck until then. I don't think this would be an emergency situation but I'd like to figure out what is going on......

The only thing I can think of, but I don't know if this is a factor. Could the extreme heat around here cause this? The temp has been in the 90s to triple digits for most of the summer. Unfortunately, I live in an old building and there is no central air. We have one a/c unit in the bedroom, which we've been running, and the on the really hot days magnus likes to hang out on the tile in the bathroom. We also shaved off his belly fur at the beginning of summer to keep him cooler, though it's starting to grow back now, so I'm not sure if we should go shave it again. I also bought him a "cool pad" but he has mostly ignored it.

His fur seems fine otherwise - shiny and silky, not dry or scruffy looking

ANy ideas?

The only thing that he's been doing that has concerned me - and I went to the vet twice about it - was he does (when it's hot out) sometimes pant. I brought him to the vet when I first saw him do it and the vet checked him out all over and said he seemed healthy to him and couldn't find anything with his heart or lungs and he was not overheated. I brought him back a second time  soon after when he did it again and had a different vet look at him. Same thing. They even ran an oxygen test on his lungs to make sure he was getting enough oxygen and they relooked at his heart and still they said he was fine.

The vet *thinks* it's because Magnus is a bit high strung (and this is true - anything new scares him - the last time I caught him panting briefly, he was fixated on a fly buzzing around the ceiling.) I've also seen him start panting when I grab his feather toy. I think he does it when he gets excited. He's not incapacitated because he'll pant for a second or two and then dash down the hall after the toy or whatever. (I also asked the vet about asthma and he ruled that out as well). We think he also just does not like the heat, and this was when the vet shaved his belly and that actually seemed to help as I didn't see him do it as much after that. Also he's a fairly big cat - though not fat. But now his belly fur is growing back and I've noticed him pant at least twice this past week  - though once was when he saw that fly, and the other day we had a heat index of 107 degrees :p

So.... that may be unrelated, but in case it's not  I bring it up here again

Some recent photos, though you can't see the missing fur spot here. But you can see his fur looks good ( or at least it appears to me to look good). And As you can see he's a bit of a character....

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnus is BEAUTIFUL! 
I had a similar situation with one of my cats quite some time ago.  Nothing was amiss but this tiny little patch of fur.  Ordinarily one wouldn't notice it but mine get bushed daily so naturally I noticed.  I got worried and took him to the vet.  Absolutely nothing wrong but was told to keep an eye on it and if it got bigger to bring him back.  Like you, I could detect no redness, swelling or scratching.  There was no scab, nothing.  So I kept an eye on him and nothing happened.  I *think* he got under something and pulled some of his hair out.  Either that or he got into a scrap with one of my other cats and lost a chunk but there was no evidence of that.  I do know that certain metabolic disorder can cause hair loss which is why I was worried to begin with.  If you are really worried about it, I would suggest a vet visit.  I certainly hope it is nothing serious

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe he got some fur caught in something and it got ripped out?

My Lacey hates the heat and has a MUCH more sensitive panting trigger. She's got longer fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for posting.

@ Nutro Mike: I suppose it's possible he caught his fur in something? I'll watch the patch and see  if it gets bigger or if the skin gets irritated....!

@ aeevr: I am SO glad to hear that other cats pant. Any time I've seen him do it it scares me, but he still runs around eats like a champ so....? Bu tI know if you look up panting cats on the internet it looks dire and everyone tells you cats don't pant and I brought him to the vet twice about this and nobody can see anything wrong with him. I'll keep watching him, but one thing I do know is he NEVER panted before it got hot and humid, and the few days we had where we had a cool spell, he was even more active than usual and zipping around the place and I saw no panting. So I *do* think it's to do with the heat.

anyway, i'll keep watching him.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Damn. Second small spot showed up just below the first one.

Both are hard to see unless he bends forward at the neck. 

I'll call the vet on Monday but does anybody have any ideas?

You think it's fleas? I don't SEE any and he's indoor only however my husband does work around other animals and I suppose it's possible he could have brought a little visitor home with him.... though again, he's allergic to fleas and usually can tell if there are any around from his reaction.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whenever I read bald patch, I always toss out ringworm as a possibility.  Ringworm is a fungus that can cause bald patches and takes on different appearances in different cats (and often does not cause itchiness for cats as some expect it will.)  The reason it came to mind is because we have dealt with it, but there could be many other causes as well and there was nothing in your description that screamed "ringworm" to me.

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have hubby cuddle up real close with Magnus on the couch for awhile tonight. That should let you know quickly about the fleas lol :) Seriously, if hubby is willing, that might not be too terrible of an idea. Because if it's fleas, you can start treatment right away, plus you won't have to worry anymore!!

I also have a panter. And she's short-haired. I never worry about her though, she usually sits down for awhile and cools down. Then starts running all over again.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did look up photos of Ringworm and the photos I saw did not look like the spots I saw, but I'll know for sure when I go to the vets. These spots are hard to see. I can only see them if he bends his head the right way and they just look like two very small spots (like if someone took finger tips and touched them to his fur and just the spot the fingertip touched caused the hair to fall out). The skin looks fine underneath. Anyway, it's just weird. I'll have the vet look at it.

Would stress do this as well? Or heat? 

The only thing different this week is my husband does petsitting for people sometimes when they are on vacation and he's been staying over at a house taking care of their two dogs while they are away. So he hasn't been around  and since he's a night owl, he usually plays with Magnus at night when he has his "night crazies" and runs him all over the place (while I'm in bed lol). So he's not getting his "night crazies" in this past week because I am not up at 3 AM running him around the place. I play with him during the day though, and give him attention, and he hangs out with me while I'm working (at home).

Re: panting

Magnus is the first cat I ever had that does this, and it looks totally freaky to me. But he seems fine. Good to know there are other panters out there!  

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Figured I'd update this thread in case anybody was curious:

I called the vet and they said just to watch him and see if the patch gets bigger or gets worse or if we notice anything with the skin. So we watched him and it appears the hair is growing back. I think it must just be a case of him getting his fur caught someplace and getting yanked out or something. I know that the week we noticed this, we had people over to fix some stuff in the apartment and Magnus is very skittish around strangers and usually runs and hides. One of the places he likes to hide is under the couch in this drawer that has an open back that you can access from behind the couch. He's bigger than he used to be so if he rushed in there he could conceivably yanked on his fur trying to squeeze into a tight space.... that's my working theory anyway!

As for the panting, it's not been quite as hot lately so I have not seen him panting, except a couple of times when he wanted for me to get up in the morning and was batting at my face and I looked at him and his eyes had that crazy look he gets when he's in play mode, and he was panting at me. He stopped after a second. I think he was just excited.