Just need a little support. Cat sick for first time in the 8 years I've had him.

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9-year-old orange boy started sneezing a lot about four days ago. Congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, just pitiful looking. Took him to the vet Saturday, and they said all signs point to a viral infection. He doesn't have a fever and his appetite is normal, but he's been unusually snuggly (no complaints!) and his cracked, hoarse meow is just the saddest thing. They sent us home with lysine to help bolster his immune system to fight it off because he's been on a steroid for the past two weeks for a very itchy reaction to a presumed bug bite.

He's utterly miserable, and I'm miserable not being able to do much of anything to help him feel better. I have absolutely no idea how he could have gotten sick. He's indoor only, and the only animal in the house. We're still quarantining so no one's been visiting. He had gone to the vet over a month ago for a wellness checkup, but that seems like a long incubation period if he picked it up there.

I completely forgot to ask the vet how long things like this normally last. Does anyone know? I keep feeling like he should be on the upward swing by now, but things have been pretty much the same -- well, his eyes are looking a bit more goopy, so maybe a little worse -- for the past two days. This waiting game is just the worst.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I hope everything is all right with your kitty. Usually, colds like these clear up in a few days. I hope everything clears up soon!

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9-year-old orange boy started sneezing a lot about four days ago. Congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, just pitiful looking. Took him to the vet Saturday, and they said all signs point to a viral infection. He doesn't have a fever and his appetite is normal, but he's been unusually snuggly (no complaints!) and his cracked, hoarse meow is just the saddest thing. They sent us home with lysine to help bolster his immune system to fight it off because he's been on a steroid for the past two weeks for a very itchy reaction to a presumed bug bite.

He's utterly miserable, and I'm miserable not being able to do much of anything to help him feel better. I have absolutely no idea how he could have gotten sick. He's indoor only, and the only animal in the house. We're still quarantining so no one's been visiting. He had gone to the vet over a month ago for a wellness checkup, but that seems like a long incubation period if he picked it up there.

I completely forgot to ask the vet how long things like this normally last. Does anyone know? I keep feeling like he should be on the upward swing by now, but things have been pretty much the same -- well, his eyes are looking a bit more goopy, so maybe a little worse -- for the past two days. This waiting game is just the worst.
I'm having a sick kitty right now too. Just hang in there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like he might be having a viral flare up - perhaps, something like herpes that he most likely contracted as a kitten. In his case, the herpes could be considered mild since he hasn't had flare ups before now. It might just be him getting older - as with humans, the strength of a cat's immune system diminishes with age. I don't know if two weeks worth of steroids would be enough to help suppress his immune system to have contributed to a flare up - but, you could ask your vet about that. Lysine is one of the treatments that many members on this site us for their cats who have viruses. I believe many of them use it on a daily basis - not just when a flare up occurs. So, that could be something to consider going forward.

To help clear the congestion, you can run hot water in your shower to create a sauna-like effect, and then sit with him in the steamy room with the door closed for 5 -10 minutes. If he will tolerate it, maybe do it a couple-three times a day. Keep his eyes and nose wiped clean too.

Also, when it comes time to take him off the steroids, I trust the vet has told you that weaning him from them is the best approach - even if he has only been on them a couple of weeks, the dosage should be tapered down before being stopped altogether.

Hope other members will come along soon and offer some other ideas about how to help your guy out while he goes through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like he might be having a viral flare up - perhaps, something like herpes that he most likely contracted as a kitten. In his case, the herpes could be considered mild since he hasn't had flare ups before now. It might just be him getting older - as with humans, the strength of a cat's immune system diminishes with age. I don't know if two weeks worth of steroids would be enough to help suppress his immune system to have contributed to a flare up - but, you could ask your vet about that. Lysine is one of the treatments that many members on this site us for their cats who have viruses. I believe many of them use it on a daily basis - not just when a flare up occurs. So, that could be something to consider going forward.

To help clear the congestion, you can run hot water in your shower to create a sauna-like effect, and then sit with him in the steamy room with the door closed for 5 -10 minutes. If he will tolerate it, maybe do it a couple-three times a day. Keep his eyes and nose wiped clean too.

Also, when it comes time to take him off the steroids, I trust the vet has told you that weaning him from them is the best approach - even if he has only been on them a couple of weeks, the dosage should be tapered down before being stopped altogether.

Hope other members will come along soon and offer some other ideas about how to help your guy out while he goes through this.
That's good to know about lysine! I'll keep it in mind going forward, and I'll probably start giving it to him daily if he does end up getting sick like this again. He was in a shelter for at least three months before I got him, so it wouldn't surprise me if he picked it up there.

And yes, my vet made gave me a schedule to wean him off the steroids, and luckily we're in the final stretch this week!

Thanks for your advice!