just me, the worry wort, Zoe's eye?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so I took Lily & Zoe on one of our "walks" today, and Zoe had been rolling around in dirt, and I noticed when she was sitting on a tree stump, she was rubbing her eye. Well she's still rubbing her eye, at midnight, so about 11 hours. She'll open it sometimes, but she keeps it closed a lot of time. I looked at when its open, still bright green so I think she just needs to rinse it out. She's so much more squirmy that Lily, and very hard to treat for anything, but I did manage to take a cotton ball soaked in that boric acid stuff (Nutri-Vet eye rinse) and squeezed it over her eye. Hopefully that'll clear it? Anyway how long till I should really worry? And have to take her to the vet? Because like I said, when its open it doesn't look irritated or red.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be just a small dust or an allergic reaction too. Like not something to clear but just a small irritation. If things don't get worse, I would wait for at least 2 days to call the vet. When it's a mild problem they usually prescribe the same 1-2 eye drops anyway (where I live.) so if things don't get worse, and there is no irritation, I would first try home treatment with the guidance of the vet. (this is again for where I live. I don't know the situation in VA.)

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she is squinting and there is discharge from the eye I would go to the vet sooner rather than later. If she is just rubbing it a lot and it doesn't look irritated you could wait and see how it is in a day or so.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
24 hours is how long I give for anything like this, my girl does this a lot though because we go on scheduled hikes and she's fascinated with rolling around in the holes our dog digs. :ohwell: She's cut her lip on a rock doing this and has gotten specs of dirt and such in her eyes before, but it's never bothered her longer than a day or so. I'm sure it will clear up, the eyes are the fastest healing body part afterall. However, if it persists and doesn't improve whatsoever, I'd say a vet visit wouldn't hurt. Generally if you get crud in your eyes, when you sleep, you'll inevitably "cry" the crud out; which is what happens to specter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she is much more "bright eyed and bushy tailed"(literally ;)) today, only squints it a little bit. So definitely an improvement. I'm guessing she had some sand or dirt in there and finally got it out, but it probably scratched it some. So I'm guessing by tomorrow she will be 100% again. It certainly isn't bothering her though she's out and about doing her "Zoe things"