Just Lost Our Beautiful Storm

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three years ago, after losing our gorgeous boy Thor to liver failure, we adopted a stunning and BIG little guy named Storm. Solid black, fluffy and full of energy, there is nothing in this world he loved more than his "fishy pole". He'd drag it through the house and drop it at your feet and then nudge you to play with him!

This past Sunday, my husband and I noticed he wasn't acting himself. He didn't want to be touched, and was walking around very slowly and carefully. Wasn't eating or drinking. Since the vet was closed, we decided to take him in first thing Monday morning. He wasn't any better yesterday, so the vet looked him over and said that his bladder was hard and full, and they'd put a catheter in him, drain all that out and check it and then flush him out, make sure he could pee, and then we could pick him up this morning. No big deal, sounded very routine.

But then an hour later, I got a call from the doctor directly saying he had passed. He was only 3! He was so big and healthy and never had an ounce of trouble with anything save for the occasional hairball.

My husband and I are positively crushed. Storm's "brothers" keep calling for him and looking for him. I miss him terribly :(. He was a bit camera shy, as you can see from the photo. He'd fall asleep like that with his head in the window tract.

Attachments

christywing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you lost him at such a young age. He looks like he had a loving and happy life though.

May he be playing with his fishy pole right now with Thor ❤

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad especially with the unexpected nature of it. I'm really sorry for you and just hope you can get a little comfort from the folks on this site. RIP big little Storm.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a urinary blockage, and those can come on with no warning. He likely had bladder or kidney stones that you were unaware of, they generally don't cause any symptoms until one gets stuck and block the flow of pee from the bladder.

For future reference, in case you aren't aware, once the urinary tract gets blocked it really is an emergency, the kidneys shut down and in some cases the bladder can burst. Age unfortunately doesn't have much to do with it, my mom lost a little boy kitty last year who was only a year old. He was seemingly fine when she left for work in the morning, but by the time she got home he was laying in her tub dying, and had to be put down at the vet.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry that you lost your big fella at such a young age, it may have been a urinary issue as Amethyst said; we make sure to give the boys the urinary dry food so they stay healthy, the girls eat it too luckily they think they are treats, but this is such a sad story. You did nothing wrong, you gave him love and affection and a home, he had all he wanted, but it is so sad to lose him so tragically. So very sorry....

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright::grouphug2::rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Storm, dream you deep. Your life was short, but so very, very big, and you are remembered with love.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know that Storm would never want you to be sad because of him, he loves you too much. try to celebrate having him in your life. He was an important part of your life and will be dearly missed. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. RIP beautiful Storm, you will always have a place in a loving heart. Sleep tight sweet Prince!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww thank you guys so much! The vet did say that there were some little crystals in his urine and his pH level was high. I wish I would have known it was so serious. I would have done anything and everything to save him. I had no idea something so dangerous could happen so fast!

What is the urinary food I should feed them? I don't want to go through this again with my other kitties. It's too heartbreaking. I feed them Gentle Formula Purina because one has a sensitive tummy.

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel

I have just recently put my cat to sleep due to big bladder stones blocking her tubes. We noticed a change in her behaviour and she then started to hide and not eat. Cats hide their pain well so it's tough to know.A scan was done and We could have operated but because of where they were and her age of 17 there was no guarantee all of them could be removed. After taking the vets advice we decided to let her go peacefully and not put her body through an operation at her age and any complications that could have followed.

I think just a wet food diet should help I'm not really sure best do some research. You can't blame yourself ever for things like this, it's so hard to know and you did the right thing going the vet when you could.

You gave him a good life and he is pain free now.