Just Lost One Baby A Few Weeks Ago & I Don't Want To Lose Another!!! Please Any Advice

CleoCATra55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I have an indoor kitty named Punk that just turned 2 this month, & he's been holding his mouth open for the past day as if he may have a swollen tongue or even perhaps underneath his tongue? He licks his chops very often & lately has been drooling. He's a very big male for a 2 yr old but he never seems to eat or drink very much...he's always been that way though. It could be due to the fact that my poor lil princess, Bebe (who passed away a few weeks ago at age 15 from hyperthyroidism & heart failure) always gobbled up all the food before he could even get to it. So I started separating them & their plates & he still felt her dominance & wouldn't even touch it if he knew she wanted it. Or perhaps he just knew she needed it more. He ALWAYS has dry food down but im.talkimg about the wet food I use to give her that he'd take 2 licks of & then run away. But now that she's gone I'm just beginning to worry that he could have something wrong with him & I don't want to lose him. I already know that everyone is going to say, "take him to the vet" but I have to stress that I got laid off of my hospital job this year & Bebe's vet appts, medication costs (including lasix, antibiotics, thyroid meds & blood pressure pills) not to mention her special low sodium food AND the emergency vet appt costs when she took a terrible downward turn & I had to rush her there to eventually get put down...let's just say it drained everything I have at the moment. But I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. But I will have to wait at the most a week to get him to my vet. I just need any advice from anyone who may have any clues what it could be. I know he's breathing just fine & I really don't think anything is obstructing his airway. I've heard it could be bad teeth bugging him but he's so young. Also an allergic reaction which he has had before when he was a kitten. His bottom lip would swell up alot due to something they called "cat acny?" He eats alot of bugs cuz he's a big curious brute & I try to get him to stop but he's quicker than me lol, so he could of been stung. Idk!!! I'm freaking out!!! There's just so much stuff &...I can't lose him right now. I'm helpless for a bit but it WILL get dealt with. Just....any ideas before I can get him to my vet. Anyone experience anything remotely similar with their fur-baby??

Sorry so so long... I'm still grieving for Bebe & now freaking about him on top of that!!!

Thank you & I appreciate anyone's response,
Kelly (CleoCATra55)
IMG_20160827_152751962.jpg

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Drooling could be a sign of kidney failure or he ate something toxic to cats. Kidney failure is more common in male cats.
I have a tom who did the same thing, he drooled more than a human could.
If you really can't take him to the vet, which you should, get in contact with local animal shelter and see if they can help. This is serious if you don't want to lose another fur baby. Good luck to you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoCATra55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen kidney failure when it happened to Bebe the first time I had to rush her to the E.R. & it's not like mouth breathing & drooling like she did. I have nothing toxic in my home that he could get to. Plus he's still running around & playing like a kitten so I think it might be a teeth issue. It's like his fangs are growing way too big & he can't close his mouth. Is that possible? Or maybe a bad tooth. He just seems so young for that but I have never brushed his teeth. Im.going to from now on. Well I will AFTER he goes to the vet atleast. I don't want to hurt him. Are there cat dentists? I see black around his teeth near the gums. Idk if it's discoloration of his gums naturally or decay.

And no, I def don't mean his gums are turning blue or purple, cuz I know that means heart/kidney failure from watching Bebe also. This is more like thick tartar buildup. I might just ask my ex boyfriend to lend me money to go to the vet sooner. He loves Punk too & was devastated when Bebe passed so I know he will help. Great guy & still best friends

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tartar, you mean? It shouldn't be too bad if he's only 2 years old. Maybe a case of gingivitis? There'll be a deep red line around his teeth if that's the case.
Lilies are toxic to cats if you have flowers in a vase or something.
Vets and vet techs are cat dentists!
Does his breath stink? That's the main symptom of a bad tooth.
Does he have toys he plays with? He could possibly have an obstruction from a toy
I agree that vets will be expensive. Could you ask your local shelter for some help?