Just lost my Lenny now Vinnie may have Cancer:(

howiej

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't even believe this is happening to me and my wife. Our dear Lenny passed away at home a little over two weeks ago. We have both been "a mess" and I have attended support groups, etc.

We realized that our 13 year old Ragdoll, Vinnie, had been loosing weight for the past month or so. He has been a healthy cat most of his life and has been strictly indoors. So, yesterday we took both Vinnie and Jimi to the vet for check-ups. Right away, I freaked-out when the vet weighed Vinnie who used to be about 12 lbs. He is now 8.2. Upon examination of his abdemon, she noticed "a big mass," and seems to think it may be Cancer or possibly what Lenny had- Cystic Liver Disease. He has not eaten since yesterday, has vomited both his food and what seems to be bile, like Lenny used to.

I am so depressed and freightened right now that I can scream. I am already at the point in my grief over the loss of Lenny wher I am having difficulty functioning. I am broke over Lenny's expenses ad now I am going to have to bankrupt myself and make sure i get Vinnie the best care possible. I am so depressed right now I can't even put it into words. I have had Vinnie since he was 13 weeks old...
(

LIFE IS TOO CRUEL

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I know what it is like to be going through all this. I lost a dear kitty friend about a year ago and one of my other kitties has been very sick the last couple weeks. He went from close to 10 lbs to 5.8 lbs quickly. Now they think it was inflammed bowel from a diet change and when he lost weight he got fatty liver. He's doing better and all tests are negative for other disease, but I know exactly what you're going through. You'll get a lot of support here and I encourage you to take advantage of it! It's what has given me hope and kept me going!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this - I know too well how grief just takes you over. Good vibes for Vinnie that it is not as serious as you fear.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having. KittenKiya's Clan sends soothing headbuts and please don't give up licks to you, and get better quickly headbuts and loving, healthy licks to your baby.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the vet running a senior panel? Have you looked into programs like Care Credit to help with the expenses? I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm wishing you the best for Vinnie--hopefully it's something easy to remedy. Right now, focus on trying to get food and water into him. He could have something treatable, like hyperthyroidism, or he could be grieving over Lenny's illness and passing, just like you are. I'm wishing you all the best.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for the worry you are going through, but I do know from experience that sometimes, though something may be wrong, it is not as dire as first thought. I will keep Vinnie in my thoughts and prayers that this be treatable and not cancer.

ulualoha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain so much. I lost my kitty Blue Eyes, unexpectedly, in July. As best as my vet could tell based on his final moments/symptoms, he had HCM. He died in my arms on our way to the emergency clinic. It was awful looking at him with his blue lips and tongue crying in my arms and there was nothing I could do. Then in September I found out my cat Timber had renal failure on top of her breast cancer that was diagnosed in February. I thought things couldn't get worse but now my other kitty Noel has a tumor on her heart. I scheduled an appt to put her to sleep on Tuesday but don't know if I can find the strength to do it. Have you thought about trying to get your kitty Vinnie on some a/d food? It's high in calories and might help him get some of his weight back on. Ask your vet about it. You, your wife and Vinnie will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Terri

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness this is awful
I really hope it isn't cancer Vinnie has.

Keep us updated, but always remember that theres always someone here on the site at all times if you need to talk

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Howie, I am so sorry. First, let me give you the link to a website that may be able to help you---www.imom.org. Please check it out; they may be able to help with your expenses.

I know you feel as if your world is caving in, believe me, I do know. I lost 3 of my kitties in an 11 month period this past year---one to CRF, one to liver disease, the third to cancer. There really aren't words to adequately describe the pain & the grief. I know Lenny was your sweetheart, and Vinnie is so obviously your baby. I wish I had some magic words of comfort for you, because I know how much you're hurting. All I can say is take care of yourself; you won't be any good to Vinnie if you can't function. He needs you to be strong for him.

You & your wife & Vinnie & Jimi are all in my prayers. Sending many, many
(((((healing vibes))))) to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howiej

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. As I have read from some of your postings, I know I'm not the only person with such bad luck. I am still greiving over Lenny and I can't believe I did not notice Vinnie's lump. He was actually eating fine lately, just vomited food a few times, then clear liquid over the past three weeks since Lenny has been gone. Over the weekend, after we took him in for his checkup, he vomited yellow bile about 10 times and it freaked me out so bad I almost had to go to the hospital (i'm a high stress person). Anyway, I am trying to stay positive but the vet seems to think it is Lymphoma, whcih I know is treatable, etc.

In regards to Care Credit, i am almost maxed - out from lenny's meds, etc. But I will not just let my baby go, and I will get the funds no matter what I have to pull.

The hardest part for me is that Vinnie has been my comfor, my love, my soft furry baby to cry on for the past three weeks and throughout our life together. I can not fathom loosing him now or I will be in bad, bad shape. I am still trying to keep my spiirtis up, I made it to work (late) and have to leave in 3 hrs to take him in.

I will writ eback when I can, and I am frequently on the chat room for pet loss on the rainbow bridge page.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers. I just wish my friends understaood where I am at right now, becuase all they do is make me angry ! At least I know other people feel the same way about their babies.
Peace

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, and the pain you're going through with Vinnie. We're always here if you need to talk.