Just learned Outdoor cats being re-homed

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am so glad there is a forum like this. For several months now I have been feeding and looking out for the 5 stray cats in my rental complex. We know for sure that 2 of the cats were left by former tenants. For years two other people were doing the feeding and then after they had to move, I took over. I had thought the neighbors were ok with it because I live in the back and kept the bowls clean, and brought them in at night to avoid attracting racoons etc. But I have just learned that people are complaining and the owners found a group to "remove and re-home the cats" next week. I was told rather abruptly with little explanation, although they offered to include me in the emails threads with the group doing the removing. I can't take them in I already have indoor cats and after I moved in the complex switched to a no pets policy now. I know there is a chance the cats could have a better life. But it's devastating and I am concerned. I really felt the cats had a pretty good life, regular food, safe area (it's gated here and high walls so safe from predators) places to hang out, a shed nearby they seem to go to in the rain. I admit I am suspicious too that they just maybe found someone to move the cats to a colony somewhere. But they did offer to keep me in the loop so that should be a good sign at least. Not sure why I am posting except that maybe some of you have been through the same thing. I am a puddle of tears. I know it's more important the cats are ok but my heart is broken. One of them would come to my car when I would drive up and say goodbye when I leave for work. And like I said while not ideal I felt their life quality was pretty good. Two are bonded and cuddle together when it's cold. Now I am feeling guilty I didn't try harder to find rescue groups to help before. I really felt their life was pretty good so maybe status quo was ok. Now I feel terrible and helpless. Anyways, thanks for listening.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking such good care of these cats. I totally understand how upsetting it must be after you have become attached to them that they are suddenly going to be taken away. Can you become a member of this group of people who are handling the re-homing? Of course, you want to be sure they are going to do the right thing (not just dump them or euthanize them), but it would allow you to get involved in finding good homes for them. Maybe you know someone through work or school or church who would adopt a cat or two. Or maybe you could suggest a good rescue group to these people. I think you might feel less helpless and sad if you were able to get involved. I would hope they would welcome some assistance from someone who knows these cats and has their best interest at heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking such good care of these cats. I totally understand how upsetting it must be after you have become attached to them that they are suddenly going to be taken away. Can you become a member of this group of people who are handling the re-homing? Of course, you want to be sure they are going to do the right thing (not just dump them or euthanize them), but it would allow you to get involved in finding good homes for them. Maybe you know someone through work or school or church who would adopt a cat or two. Or maybe you could suggest a good rescue group to these people. I think you might feel less helpless and sad if you were able to get involved. I would hope they would welcome some assistance from someone who knows these cats and has their best interest at heart.
Yes thank you, I think that's a really good idea. I think since it happened so fast (literally was told by management as I was out taking out trash) I didn't have time to process it or respond much. I did offer immediately to help. So now I can follow up with that. For instance I would like to know specifically when the people would arrive, I assume they will be using traps. So what is the plan for that? And yes if they are taking to a sanctuary for the time being I could help find the actual homes. And could tell more history such as the two who are bonded. And one has skin issues I was putting topical on. And they are sort of picky about food! I found one they like. I have some to donate too had just stocked up. Sigh...its very overwhelming.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think you need to find out the name of the people getting the cats and where they are taking them. I don’t trust what is being said.
My concern too, although I did think if this was not above board why would they tell me? They saw me and approached me. So it does make me think too it could be ok also. And if they were just going to dump them at a colony why wouldn't they just do it themselves? Anyway, I will try to find out tomorrow. This has all happened very fast.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With this, I would try to join the group as well. This way you would know what is going on with the kitties you have been taking care of already. Also though to help other kitties in need.. It seems like you really embraced them and I think it would be great for you to continue helping other kitties as well as the ones you are helping now.

Can you ask your complex manager what the name of the group is? Then try to find out some information on them. Do you know if they are an organization or a group of volunteers? Is this a TNR organization? These are questions to ask the manager of your place.
If they are in fact a group of volunteers and they say you can not join then that would be a huge red flag.

Thank you for all you have been doing for them. I really hope you can continue helping with them and any future kitties if that would be something you would be interested in.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With this, I would try to join the group as well. This way you would know what is going on with the kitties you have been taking care of already. Also though to help other kitties in need.. It seems like you really embraced them and I think it would be great for you to continue helping other kitties as well as the ones you are helping now.

Can you ask your complex manager what the name of the group is? Then try to find out some information on them. Do you know if they are an organization or a group of volunteers? Is this a TNR organization? These are questions to ask the manager of your place.
If they are in fact a group of volunteers and they say you can not join then that would be a huge red flag.

Thank you for all you have been doing for them. I really hope you can continue helping with them and any future kitties if that would be something you would be interested in.
Yes I should be able to ask and get more information. Thank you all for listening. I am praying it is a genuine rescue group whom they perhaps gave a requested fee to and so they are coming out. Maybe they can be a group barn cat situation. I have heard that is something that is sometimes done.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a "working cats" program for "un-adoptable" cats.. they go to people with farms to hunt and have plenty of roaming space they are fed and watered and taken care of just kind of like a feral cat would on the streets but in a safe area.. is that what you're talking about?

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a "working cats" program for "un-adoptable" cats.. they go to people with farms to hunt and have plenty of roaming space.. is that what you're talking about?
it is what I was talking about, I had heard of such situations. And how some cats are adopted into groups this way. I can see that, if handled properly could work for this group.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is what I was talking about, I had heard of such situations. And how some cats are adopted into groups this way. I can see that, if handled properly could work for this group.
Well just be careful ask a bunch of questions and see if you can volunteer. I think that would be great for you to be able to know they are safe and taken care of. Then if you still want to help more kitties you can really make a big impact on some little kitty lives. 😺 ❤

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cats will be much better off by being adopted into loving homes. Get involved with the group that was called in to make this happen. Remember, it’s about what’s best for the cats, not what’s best for you.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats will be much better off by being adopted into loving homes. Get involved with the group that was called in to make this happen. Remember, it’s about what’s best for the cats, not what’s best for you.
I agree. It also occurred to me that people who don't know how this works might think a group doing TNR plan to keep the cats. They don't know that the R stands for return. Well trying to find out more information.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That would be the irony...if they had no idea what "R" stood for. Since they have offered to include you, I would become very active in whatever is going on. You may not be physically involved in this, but I would act extremely interested and ask for as much information as you feel that you need to be comfortable with this. From your description of what you were told, this sounds to me as if the group is a rescue if they are talking about rehoming. That means that there should be a researchable name and contact, probably online.

I do agree that the fact that there is an ongoing communication seems to make it above board. However, to play devil's advocate for a minute, I have seen these texts go cold as soon as the cats are gone. Be proactive and try to get a contact that you feel is permanent and reachable, a location where you can visit the cats and feed them, etc.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for listening. It really helped to be able to come here and talk to like minded folk. It turned out to not happen. I never got a clear answer but I suspect there was some misunderstanding of some kind. The cats are still here. I tried bringing one inside to live during all this and he wasn't having it. So I still feed them daily and provide water. They hang out in various areas in the complex during the day.

Seymour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I absolutely agree with the wise previous posters who've urged you to find out as much as you can about this group and get involved if possible. Also, you might consider speaking with the management and explaining that colonies often don't accept new members (except kittens that are born to colony members) and will chase off other cats that try to join. Thus, your small colony self-limits its size. Colonies are also helpful by keeping the rodent, snake and bug population down and, when you remove an established colony, a new one often moves in.

Kitties in managed colonies that aren't reproducing and are healthy and well-fed are beneficial and it sounds as though you have done a great job with them. I would tell management that you will continue to carefully manage them and if specific issues arise involving tenants and the kitties, you will be happy to talk to those who are unhappy and see if you can resolve their problem.

I have had a few cat-hating neighbors over the years and have mostly been able to work things out with them. Most people are receptive to a reasonable attempt to accommodate their concerns. And, as another approach, if you have an experienced TNR group there, consider asking someone from that organization to come with you to speak to the management. Someone who has many years of experience can explain how beneficial a well-managed colony can be.

Nobody likes waking up to a mouse or waterbug running through their kitchen.

Good luck. You sound like a super nice and compassionate person.

Last edited by a moderator: