just how big do female domestic short hair cats grow

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie is about 2 1/2 years old now as big as my sisters male ragdoll just not squishy like he is she is lean and long bodied petite with long legs etc the vet said at 11 pounds today i discovered her neck got thicker after having to lossen her collar up some. i thought cats are done growing at a year old but she seems to be growing still? slowly but still gaining size

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My domestic tabby,9 pds 6 yrs old is also long and tall with thick neck. Her growth spurt was longer than my other cat. Being runt of the litter does not always mean being small!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats come in all sizes. The larger cats tend to mature later than the smaller cats. Some large breeds, such as Maine Coon, can continue growing for as much as 4 years. I would think the same could be true for large domestic cats.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their neck get larger by weight gain too. Your description sounds like weight gain and not development like growing up.

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a female DLH once that weighed 12-13 lbs in her prime. She was a chonker and a floof. This was the Family cat I grew up and back then the requisite diet was Purina cat chow which we basically free fed her. This was in the 80’s and 90’s and my parents knowledge of cat care wasn’t near as refined as it is now. She lived to be 17 so we must have done something right though!

Then I had two female DSH cats that were around 9-10 lbs each. We watched their diet a little more closely and this was the 2000’s by then. My parents had a little more knowledge in cat care and cat food had advanced to the point where there was much better quality and a wider selection.