Just Got A New Cat Very Aggressive.

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just got a new cat about 1 year old. His old owner was quite mean with him. He is being very aggressive with me, I am giving him his space, he has set up camp under my bed, so I have put food, water and his litter box in there. The thing is he will come up to me and hiss and growl. The other night i was in my bed and talking to him. He jumped up came about 5 cm from my face and hissed at me. Then left.
My concern is that he will need to be around kids and I don't want something to happen. I am not sure what to do. I have him for a trial period, the lady that got him from the old owner said she will take him back of need be.
How long should I give him, he seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Poor kitty, he's probably just afraid. When will he have to be around kids? It doesn't sound like a good idea right now. Is he neutered? Maybe try petting him with something on a long handle like a duster, backscratcher, or sock taped to a stick. Also, maybe talk to him and teach him a few words like his name, dinner, and treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he is neutered, I will try petting him with a duster or something like that thanks. I keep talking to him all the time, if he does come out it is just to hiss and growl at me then he will leave. I will not approch him. He won't be around kids for about a month, Easter time. And then after that it will be quite constant as my niece and nephew are around a lot in the summer.
I don't want to give up on him, I have rescued cats before, but I have never had one that is so aggressive. It is almost like he is a wild cat.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he is neutered, I will try petting him with a duster or something like that thanks. I keep talking to him all the time, if he does come out it is just to hiss and growl at me then he will leave. I will not approch him. He won't be around kids for about a month, Easter time. And then after that it will be quite constant as my niece and nephew are around a lot in the summer.
I don't want to give up on him, I have rescued cats before, but I have never had one that is so aggressive. It is almost like he is a wild cat.
Assuming he's only hissing and growling and walking away, I would ignore it. Fearful cats need whatever time they need, some come around soon and others take more time but they ALL need space.
(I'm assuming he hasn't bitten, scratched, attacked, etc.)
If he's OK with petting him on something that's not your hand, that's great but if not I wouldn't push it. The last thing you want is a cat on serious high-guard for his own perceived safety associating you with some weird, long handle that has a "thing" on the end that insists on touching him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a "weird, long-handle". It worked with Demi, once he realized I could touch him without hurting him, he relaxed. Anything I mention on here are things that I've tried on my (former) ferals that have actually worked.

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know when he was neutered?
I dont know when he was neutered, I was just told that he was . I do plan on getting him checked out once he has calmed down, and gotten more comfortable.

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So last night he tried to attack me, jumped at me face. I didn't go to him, he came to me and just jumped at me hissing and growling. I went at talked to the person I got him from, and have found out that he has never had any human interaction, I told them my worry about being around kids, and they said it probably wasn't a good idea. Which I should of been informed of before. He is not hidding anymore, but I can barley move without him coming after me.

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh ya I also originally told he was about 1 and have now been informed he is almost 3 years old

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he originally a feral? It sounds like maybe he was. You can try socializing him, but it might take more than a month.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to be the negative one here but take the cat back. The factor for me would be that kids are going to be around him. That might frighten him or aggravate the cat even more. He might calm down, he might not, but you bring kids into it, they are loud, they want to touch the cat, they might chase the cat...I don't know. The cat needs to be in a quiet home so it has a chance. That's my opinion and I am sorry if I offended you, so forgive me.
Otherwise I would say just let the cat come to you and don't worry about petting it for now. Let him work at his own pace, but to have a timeline set on it for Easter....I don't know...

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate to be the negative one here but take the cat back. The factor for me would be that kids are going to be around him. That might frighten him or aggravate the cat even more. He might calm down, he might not, but you bring kids into it, they are loud, they want to touch the cat, they might chase the cat...I don't know. The cat needs to be in a quiet home so it has a chance. That's my opinion and I am sorry if I offended you, so forgive me.
Otherwise I would say just let the cat come to you and don't worry about petting it for now. Let him work at his own pace, but to have a timeline set on it for Easter....I don't know...
I talked to the old owner. They don't want anything to do with him. I am going to talk to someone today that works for the rescue and see what they suggest.

Jma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww....so sad. I hope it works out.
It breaks my heart, and if I was given all the information to begin with I would of known my place wasn't a good fit.

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's attacking you, then you may want to find a new home for him, especially since children will be involved.

My father owned a cat like this. Adopted it from a shelter when it was a kitten, and it never overcame its aggression. While it adapted to him, it was still a fairly dangerous cat to be around. It sent my father to the hospital a few times with major bites. If it sat next to him, he had to be very careful not to move or it would attack. Worse yet, it would sometimes come and lay on his chest when he fell asleep. He was always worried it would do some major damage one day.
I give him credit for putting up with it, and the cat lived with him until it passed away from a sudden seizure many years later. As much as he felt bad, there was also a lot of relief, as it just wasn't a nice cat.

Talk to your friend from the rescue. They may have a process for getting him into a home with someone who is able to work with an aggressive cat.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a "weird, long-handle". It worked with Demi, once he realized I could touch him without hurting him, he relaxed. Anything I mention on here are things that I've tried on my (former) ferals that have actually worked.
I mean no disrespect =) I should clarify; all cats are different. Many will take to this and relax but unfortunately some (IME) don't and it upsets them more, which is why I encouraged the poster to try it and go slow and watch their cats reaction =)
Again, no disrespect or challenge intended as I do believe it works with a lot of ferals that NEED to learn handling is OK and petting is actually quite nice!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to the old owner. They don't want anything to do with him. I am going to talk to someone today that works for the rescue and see what they suggest.
I'm very sorry this has happened and the old owner sounds like they knew something was up. Not fair to you or the cat =(
I hope the rescue can help, they might have some ideas.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night he tried to attack me, jumped at me face. I didn't go to him, he came to me and just jumped at me hissing and growling. I went at talked to the person I got him from, and have found out that he has never had any human interaction, I told them my worry about being around kids, and they said it probably wasn't a good idea. Which I should of been informed of before. He is not hidding anymore, but I can barley move without him coming after me.
The fact you weren't going towards him and he leapt at your face is a warning sign, I agree.
I love my cats (and dogs) more than life itself but I wouldn't be able to keep either species if they took it upon themselves to approach me on their own will and lunge into my face with a serious warning/intent to do harm.
I'm sure the original owners were hoping someone would take the cat and turn him into a nice, loved pet and I'm sure deep down they only wanted to see the cat go "somewhere else" and have his problems magically cured, but it was not a really nice thing to do =/

Still hoping the rescue you contacted has some ideas, if nothing other than placement and rehabbing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if he's sick or injured in some way. I have a (former) feral straight from the woods that is still a little aggressive, but she doesn't scratch me unless I'm touching her or making her do something she doesn't want to do. She never just comes over and attacks me for no reason. I hope you can find a rescue to take him. If his former owner abused him, he might have some injuries that are hurting him and he is lashing out.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if he's sick or injured in some way. I have a (former) feral straight from the woods that is still a little aggressive, but she doesn't scratch me unless I'm touching her or making her do something she doesn't want to do. She never just comes over and attacks me for no reason. I hope you can find a rescue to take him. If his former owner abused him, he might have some injuries that are hurting him and he is lashing out.
I agree. And if this cat was like this at his former home, I wonder if he's ever seen a vet at all! =(

JMA you stated the owners were quite mean to him. It's a shame. I really give you a lot of credit for taking this guy on and at least trying but realizing there are limitations of safety, for you, the kids coming to visit in a few weeks and the cat.