Just Got A 6yr old Male Need advice.

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I picked up Mickey as a rescue. His owner has health issues and couldn’t take care of him. He hasn’t been around his last owner in 6months. I brought him home this past Friday. He’s very affectionate and loving but he will not leave my bedroom. He just stairs blanklessly in a corner and purrrs. I know it’s only been a few days but any advice for a first time cat owner will help. I just want to give him everything he needs. When I went to bed last night he did lay by my head the whole night. He’ll eat tread but has not touched his water or food. He did go potty once and it was like he hasn’t peed in a month. Then back up to hiding in a corner. Anything advice to help me acclimate to his needs please. Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be patient with him. Let him come out of the room at his own pace. He's still getting used to his new home, sights, sounds, routines, people, and all that. Provide him a hooded bed or a box with a hold in it for entering/exiting so he has a safe space. Sit on the floor near him and read to him so he gets used to your voice. Don't leave food out for him, but bring it to him at certain times through the day so that he associates you with something positive (food). Try some really stinky wet food, preferably all meat. Warm it up with a little bit of warm water to make it the consistency of oatmeal. Give him some time to decompress and settle in. Make an appointment with the vet for a wellness check up and to establish a baseline with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat people are good people. Thank you for the advice. I brought his food up and he’s eating it now. Just a little bit. I don’t want his tummy to get upset.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PS~ We love to see pictures! If you can snap a pic of him, please share him with us and thank you for adopting an older kitty! They're the best.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for giving Mickey a home. :petcat:He sounds like a sweetie pie. :catlove: And congrats on being a first time cat parent. :bouquet:

He hasn’t been around his last owner in 6months.
Where was Mickey the past 6 months. With a foster? Or living at him home alone, while his owner was in hospital/care?

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was at the humane society and then A local pet store. I was being talked into a kitten but this young man chose me and he really has opened up tonight a bit. I’d like to see him come out of my bedroom. He seems scared of the downstairs. I’m sure he’ll open up in due time. Bringing his food up really helped and he even wanted to play. When I’m in my bed all he wants to do is cuddle. It’ll be it interesting when my boys are here this week. I have them one week on and one week off. So I was hoping a long weekend together would be good for him to acclimate. I don’t know anything about his previous owner other than she had health issues. I’ll post better pics when I can get them.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure your boys will love him. How old are they? If they're young please be sure they talk softly and let Mickey come to them not visa versa. They would probably enjoy using his toys to play and interact with them. This Article might have some helpful information for you about playtime: Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Thanks again for rescuing Mickey. He's quite a handsome cat. :gingercat2: Please keep us posted on his progress.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hiiiiii and welcome and thank you so much for giving Mickey a home!
Grayson was in my bedroom for over a week when I first brought him home. Just give him time and love and lots of snuggles and he’ll soon come out and explore the whole house.
I brought up his food, water and litter box. Then he didn’t have to venture too far.
It’s not the best having it all in your room I know but will make him feel safe.
Then try moving it just outside your room and gradually further away until he feels more confident in venturing
Keep the pics coming - he’s a lovely handsome boy ❤❤

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure your boys will love him. How old are they? If they're young please be sure they talk softly and let Mickey come to them not visa versa. They would probably enjoy using his toys to play and interact with them. This Article might have some helpful information for you about playtime: Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Thanks again for rescuing Mickey. He's quite a handsome cat. :gingercat2: Please keep us posted on his progress.
14 and 4. They both are very chill and listen really well. So I know they’ll do fine with Mickey. Thanks for all the positive encouragement!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was being talked into a kitten but this young man chose me and he really has opened up tonight a bit.
Oh, I love when that happens! Sounds like he's getting more comfortable in his new home, as well. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

14 and 4. They both are very chill and listen really well. So I know they’ll do fine with Mickey.
Depending on the age of his previous owner, he may not have been around kids before, so do ensure they don't rush at him too quickly.

Thanks for all the positive encouragement!
You're welcome. Glad you found us. Keep us posted on how things are going.

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update. This young man apparently only likes to be social with me at the moment. He is answering to his name and sleeps by my head. He will only go downstairs at night. He ate his food and went potty so he’s physically seems normal. Today is the meet and greet with my boys so I’m just going to bring them up to my room and see if he’ll come out on his own as he does for me. If he won’t, I won’t add stress by grabbing him. I think I’m a couple of weeks he will hopefully see that this house is his as well. I haven’t really had to set any boundary’s because his temperament is really good and respectful so far. He definitely has taking a liking to me. Thanks for the articles and support. I take pet companionship seriously.

Attachments

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The rule of thumb I've always been told is that you should keep a cat in one room when you first get them (as in, with the door closed) and to increase how much room they have once they seem comfortable (go from one room to a hallway, then add another room, that sort of thing). Having so much open space in a completely new environment can overwhelm them. He seems to be doing that all by himself, which sounds like very normal adjusting to me. Just be patient with him.

(That said, I know plenty of people who have given their cats immediate access to the house and there were no problems. Didn't want you to think you'd done something wrong! It's just one way to help them adjust to the new place, but lots of things work. :biggrin:)

Don't be surprised if he seems to regress a little after meeting your boys (ie becoming more shy). It doesn't mean he doesn't like them or that something bad happened, it's just that he might need some time to get used to it. Cats tend to be very wary of change, even good change. Of course, it's also possible that meeting the kids might make him open up! You never know beforehand.

It sounds like you're doing great! Mickey is a lucky kitty!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Slow and steady with him. He's had a traumatic experience with having leave his owner and then being shuttled from shelter to shelter. He will need awhile to decompress. Let him live in your room and come out when he's comfortable. My Daisy stayed in our "safe room" and dark living room for about 5 or so months when she came to live with us. She only came into the den/kitchen area for feeding. Be patient and don't force him to do anything he's uncomfortable doing.

JoshA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like I’m doing all the right things. I’ve got all the doors closed and have kept him in my room with the door open if he wants to explore. I thinks he’s taken a liking to my boys. Almost as if he likes the extra company. I have no clue on his history. I would say he’s adjusting well and we’ll take our time with the rest of the house. Thanks for the support all you are too kind.

Attachments