Just Curious

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you know the cat is truly a stray and not a cat that just prefers to hang outside?
I’ve owned several cats that just prefer to stay outside and come in/out. But then they all of a sudden disappear. Making me believe someone took them. But why would you steal someone’s cat that just loves to live outside? I mean cats are cats and our cats are always encouraged to stay inside, they’re fed well and spoiled with attention but for some that’s just not enough and they insist to go outside. And I don’t see the problem honestly. If they know they have a home for when it gets cold and they always have food and water at their home, and they’re friendly cats, why take them and steal them or bring them to a shelter?? I don’t know, this has me upset.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats microchipped? If they are, a shelter would find you.

To tell the truth, I believe in keeping my cats in at all times, no matter how much they want to go out. There are too many dangers, from coyotes to cars, to let them prowl around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you keep them in when they’re crying and scratching non stop, trying to go out? And they were both fixed. Not microchipped unfortunately.

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I got new kittens now and I’ll definitely have them microchipped when they’re old enough. So shelters always check and notify the owner?

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t want to lose these babies too...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they definitely do. The chip is registered on a national database. Animal Control checks and so do people in general. I took in a stray one day, and after looking around the neighborhood for the owner, I contacted Animal Control and while waiting, was going to have her checked for a chip. Luckily, the owner had registered her with Animal Control, and she was able to get her cat back. Poor thing. The cat had been missing for three months after she escaped from a broken window.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they definitely do. The chip is registered on a national database. Animal Control checks and so do people in general. I took in a stray one day, and after looking around the neighborhood for the owner, I contacted Animal Control and while waiting, was going to have her checked for a chip. Luckily, the owner had registered her with Animal Control, and she was able to get her cat back. Poor thing. The cat had been missing for three months after she escaped from a broken window.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found a kitten. I do animal rescues and always have them microchipped for safety. The kitten I found has obviously been a pet but showed up half starved. I have exhausted every avenue to call neighbors, vets, shelter, etc. to find her family. I also took her to the vet to check for a chip. No such luck. It’s heartbreaking for me to know that someone is mourning her loss. What else can I do? Cats can have a territory a couple of square miles. I did reunite a previous cat with it’s family ...... five mikes from here. It was trying to escape a predator. Outside is not safe. Upon proving the cat was theirs I had to return it where they allowed it back outside. A month later, the predator did get him. Cats run for many reasons. Fear can make them hunt a safer location and run away, sometimes getting lost. Going outside can be safely done if you provide them an enclosure that is predator proof and Let them in at night or bad weather. They may meow and fuss to get out of your house but they do adapt very well and even can decide that outside really isn’t as great as inside. All of my rescues are required to be indoor cats upon adoption. I have had losses too and I am so sorry your kitties went missing. It’s very possible someone just rescued them thinking they were lost or needed help. Like the 4 month old I just found. Have you put up lost posters or gone to online lost pet sites? You might be happily surprised that they are inside with someone and okay. Please get the kittens spayed, neutered and microchipped. It has become fairly inexpensive to do. Good luck with the new babies! I’m glad you gave them a home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever thought about buying/building a catio in your backyard? That way they could have outside time and not be allowed to roam away - or be taken by other people.

We have a lot of cat owners in our area who have indoor/outdoor cats. However, many of them have come up 'missing' as of late. In our area, they were likely killed by coyotes, as a lot of new development has occurred recently, chasing animals out of their natural habitat. We are NOT in a rural area either. If it isn't something like that, it is traffic, hazardous materials, dogs, people, other cats, the list goes on. Beside the ones that have come up missing, I pass by a dead cat in the road at least weekly. It's just not worth it to let cats be indoor/outdoor anymore.

Last edited:

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading about a catio yesterday. I’m going to look into it. I don’t have a patio or screened porch yet though but I would love to have one build eventually.

:( Well I would much rather have them be safe with a new owner than hurt or killed on the road. That’s for sure.
I never did flyers but I did report them lost and I have visited shelters in person and their websites.