Just Another Peeing Question

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Gee...I had hoped my peeing questions had ended when Luna's (spayed female, 8yo)  litterbox issues were FINALLY solved.  But now it's Shermie's (neutered male, 5yo) turn to start in on the fun.  I have read a ton of stuff on cat's peeing but I wanted opinion on this specific situation.

Quick background: Luna has started living w/ my mom b/c she's really afraid of the dog (Sid) and also b/c my fiance is really allergic to her and also b/c she's good at mousing and my parents have lots of mice in their home.  Luna will stay with me when my parents go out of town.  She usually just sits on the cat tree and travels the book cases to get to her food and litter and she has the whole house to run around in at night since we lock Sid and Shermie in our bedroom.  The last time she was here I caught her pooping in a corner of our living room on a weekend when my fiance and the dog were gone.  Turns out she'd been peeing there too.  I just took this as her getting into the habit of doing it since it was under a table that she could get to by walking behind the couch and thus the dog can't get to her.  When she went back to my parents', I cleaned the area very well with arm and hammer pet stuff and resolve and some other stuff but I DON'T think I used an enzyme cleaner.  But I wasn't worried since Shermie has no problem w/ the dog and always uses his litterbox.

SO...Last weekend I noticed that someone had peed in the corner and I couldn't figure out if it was just leftover from Luna or if Shermie did it to mark his territory.  I cleaned it Sunday w/ carpet machine cleaner and baking soda (which was all I had at the time) and left baking soda on it to deoderize.  Yesterday I noticed fresh pee on it (the baking soda was yellow).  Also, Always when I clean the litterbox, I see that he's been peeing/pooping in it so I haven't been worried about health or anything.  

Is this just Shermie marking his territory?  I haven't changed his litter, box or setup, or his food.  I did go out of town for 3 days two weekends ago but my fiance was there. Luna hasn't come over recently and I don't think anything else has changed. Let me also mention that this spot is in the furthest most isolated corner of our living room between our couch and chair and covered with an end table.  As Sherman is not a hiding cat, he wouldn't hang out there and thus this wouldn't be a "can't make it to the bathroom" phenomenon.  He would have to go there intentionally.

What should I do?  I cleaned the spot again with the same stuff and placed a box on top of the spot.  I plan on getting an enzyme cleaner and cleaning the spot again in the next day or two.  But I'm open to other ideas.  Has anyone had any success with Feliway?  It didn't work at all when Luna was having issues.  What about placing one of those air-can sprayers there?  We tried that to keep him off the fridge but since we went near there, it always sprayed us to and my fiance just ended up using it to prank me with. Haha.  Should I just make sure the floor there is covered?  And, I guess my last resort would be to put a litterbox there, though I really don't want to do that (which I plan to do when Luna visits but I don'tw ant to make it permanent.).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
My guess would be that he's marking his territory in response to Luna's peeing there.

Cat pee is particularly hard to get out of fabric because it doesn't break down easily so cats can smell it even after it's been cleaned; sometimes it takes a few goes, even with an enzyme cleaner. You mentioned that she'd likely peed there several times, so the scent could be really deep in the carpet, or carpet padding.
At this point, I think your best bet is what you're doing - keep him away until you have a chance to really treat that spot with an enzyme cleaner. If you find you're still having issues after it's cleaned, maybe try one of the sprayers, but I'd hold off until you've had a chance to clean it

Chances are, Shermie's picking up on Luna having used the spot and is doing the same so hopefully a good enzyme cleaner will resolve the problem.