Just Adopted, Anyone Know The Breed?

Drunce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, the shelter told us Luna is probably a Siamese mix. What do you think? She's pretty much all white, blue eyes and has some very light orange rings around the end of her tail.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna is very pretty, and what nice pictures you posted! How old is she?

I can't see her tail in the pictures. Do you have a picture showing her tail? I'm guessing that she also has some orange/cream color on the back of her ears, too?

I would describe her as either a red point and white, or cream point and white, domestic shorthair. Pointed cats are born white, and then gradually darken as they mature. If she is still a young kitten, she will probably continue to darken up quite a bit, compared to how she looks now. Pointed cats have blue eyes.

Although the recessive colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese about 70 years ago, at this time it is widely spread through the domestic cat gene pool and doesn't indicate recent Siamese ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds.

The reason I am saying "and white" is that I don't see red or cream on her feet, or her nose. My guess is that she actually has white markings that are "covering up" her point color on her legs and face. As she grows older and her color darkens, you may be able to see the borders of these white markings.

Finally, it can be difficult to tell the difference between red point and cream point, especially in a young kitten. If you have a picture showing her tail, we may be able to get a better idea of whether she is a red or cream point.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drunce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of the info! This is my first cat, and I don't really know much about them. But we love are little sweetie already. She's so affectionate and playful :) Here is a picture of her tail. She's around 11 weeks old.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a very light color, so she may be cream point in color, or she might darken up as she matures and turn out to be red point in color. You will just have to wait and see how her color develops. Enjoy her :)

Drunce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*our, not are. Also, yes, the back of her ears are a very light orange as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good she is a point, and not all white, as it seems with a first glance. Some all white cats are more or less deaf. While with points we dont have this problem.

Drunce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We got it at walmart. Luckily it's a breakaway collar. She wasn't wearing it one morning and I think it must have gotten caught on something under the couch.

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, the shelter told us Luna is probably a Siamese mix. What do you think? She's pretty much all white, blue eyes and has some very light orange rings around the end of her tail.
What a snowy baby! I had a male years ago that was super white like her, with creamsicle pale orange. My vet labeled him a FlamePoint. He live to be 18. My daughter always told me if he were a man he would be the perfect gentleman... always polite, never loud and just enough trouble.

Last edited:

Drunce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe, that's really sweet :) Flame point, I like that!