Just a question..

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 17 week old Egyptian Mau kitten named Loki, and for as long as we have had him he always wants to suckle on any part of us he can, mostly neck and fingers. I'm not annoyed by this but we are concerned, is this normal? (this is our first with Maus) Is this going to hurt or affect him in any way? Neither of us have had a kitten do this, and I'm just concerned that it may be bad for him. Any Advice?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what age was he taken from mama cat? I am guessing you got him from a breeder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to the breeder his mother passed away during labor (very difficult labor and a huge loss to the breeders family) and they bottle raised him till about 9 weeks old. Like I said this does not bother me i just don't want to see my big boy hurt in any way.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is why... He is a Bottle Baby... Often they are more "sucky" than naturally reared kittens...I want to give you a link that may help..

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still new at this how do I get the link? Will this cause any health issues if he continues?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
only if he sucks on something toxic or dangerous( ie plastic bag)... I had one with this ( okay more than one but only one as young as yours
) and I would use lemon juice on my hand to deter... they dont like the taste

Just click it

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much so far its just been everyone who has come to the house and us, I was just concerned thank you so much you site put me at ease.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pria does this to me all the time, and only to me. She very much views me as her mother and she is over 6 months old now!
I'm unsure of her background as she came to me at 3 months of age as a foster from the shelter to was on death row.
The behavior doesn't bother me at all though. In fact I find it endearing and feel it bonds us closer.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats how we view Loki doing this, but we were just concerned for his health. We have both owned cats all our lives and never have we had one do this. Its kinda strange to see this huge spotted kitten suckling on your fingers lol.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK Ive already asked my vet and he said its nothing to worry about I was just wondering if anyone had a kitten to do this and it grew up fine, I'm also worried about him misshaping his teeth.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

OK Ive already asked my vet and he said its nothing to worry about I was just wondering if anyone had a kitten to do this and it grew up fine, I'm also worried about him misshaping his teeth.
Mine grew up just fine... though he was like 4 weeks when I found him... My vet and a few others think my Sylvie is a bottle baby and at nearly 3 his teeth are fine though sometime s I feel like swiss cheese"_