just a list of small things

shylomangacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well first off before i continue on with this forum Hi! im new to this place, and im horrible at spelling and grammer so please excuse thoes problems and help me out with this situation

i got a kitten a few days ago hes about 7 weeks old and i think hes a he, im not so very sure the breeder told me hes male but how do i cheak if hes a male?

i tryed cheaking on his back side and well he doesent let me cheak

and another thing hes been scraching and biteing my hands arms and legs (and feet) when ever i play with him his teeth are too hurtful but his claws are i try showing him something else to play with but at this moment i dont have many things for him to play with so far all i got is a shoelace a towel and some plush animal. hes not intrested on playing with thoes items and his more intrested with playing on my fingers and my arms and legs. what can i do to stop him from doing this?

oh! and the breeder i got him from said hes litter box train hes been going there when ever im awake or around the litter box but at night resently hes been going outside of his litter box how to i fix that?

well thank your for reading this hope you guys can help thanks a ton!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If-the-kitten-in-the-picture-is-your-kitten,then-its-a-female,and-she-is-a-calico.Calico-is-seperate-patches-of-red-and-black,over-white.

It-is-extremly-rare-for-a-calico-or-torti,to-be-a-male.

You-said-you-got-the-kitten-from-a-breeder.What-breed-is-she?It-bothers-me,that-the-breeder-didn't-know-this,about-calico's-and-torti's,and-whatever-the-color-is,a-good/responsible-breeder-would-be-able-to-tell-the-sex-of-a-kitten.It-also-bothers-me,that-if-she-came-from-a-breeder,the-breeder-would-know-exactly,how-old-she-is,and-would-not-let-a-kitten-go-before-at-least-8-weeks.

To-teach-a-kitten-not-to-bite,do-not-play-with-her,with-your-hands-and-fingers.Go-to-the-pet-store-at-get-her-some-wand-toys.

Sorry-this-is-so-abrupt,LOL,trying-to-hurry,have-to-get-ready-for-work.The-others-can-expain-to-you,better,what-kind-of-toys-to-get-for-her,and-how-to-play-with-her.

She-is-beautiful-kitten,would-love-to-see-more-pictures-of-her.

Almost-forgot,you-have-only-had-her-a-few-days,so-she-needs-to-be-confined-to-the-bedroom,with-her-box,at-night,and-when-you-are-not-home,and-she-will-learn.Make-sure-the-box-is-not-to-high-for-her-to-easily-climb-into.

Welcome-to-the-board!!!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I double what Flint said.  It would be very unusual for a calico to be male, if that photo is your kitten. 

Also, please make sure that you do not use clumping litter right now.  Kittens sometimes will try and eat the litter due to playfulness and the clumping kind will do exactly that in their digestive system - causing a blockage.  

If the kitten does try and bite or use her claws on you- which of course, is just play to her - stop interacting with her, and say "Ouch!" (maybe even s soft hissing noise, which would be like her mama would use) and stop for a few minutes.  She will eventually learn that if she does this, it means no more fun, so she will learn.  Most kittens stay with their mom and siblings up until 12 weeks so they can learn their cat manners - you'll have to do this for her.  BTW, my cats never use their claws or teeth on us so somebody taught them right.

You can get lots of very inexpensive toys for her - little fluffy balls or bouncy balls for her to chase or catnip mice and such.  A wand toy with something dangling off of it is wonderful, you can probably make something similar yourself just be careful not to leave it around for her to play with on her own.  Paper towel and toilet roll holders fascinate them, as do empty boxes stacked up and around.  If you Google search for something like "cheap cat toys" I bet you'll get a lot of suggestions you can make easily or buy for only a couple of dollars.

I'm also in agreement with Flint about the so called breeder.  Your cat appears to be a domestic short hair from the photo, (again, *if* that is the kitten you are referring to).  One does not need a breeder to get such a kitten unless you mean the word in a general sense, just as the person you adopted her from - someone that had an "oops" litter of their pet cat at home.  However she appears really adorable and I know I'd love to see more photos so please keep us updated!  

I'm sure others will stop by to add more info for you.  Welcome to TCS!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shylomangacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i attualy tryed that to keep the litter box in the room but my mum kinda made me take the litter box out of my room since jekyll (thats the kitten named and yes its the one in the picture) got used to my dogs, my guessing she was afraid that the litter box will smell and get me sick from it or something since he likes my room most out of all the other rooms (the carpet is very shaggy here he claws to claw on that and i dont mind, and penlty of nice hideing places) the breeder never told me what breed jekyll was. but thank you very much flint for the advice ^-^ 

im guessing he could be a shorthair ill ask my vet what breed he could be, and not to worry i thought of the litter type ahead of time, i would have thought the kitten would play with the litter if it was a clumping kind, but at what age do you think it will ok for him to use that kind?

also do you know any way i can stop him from chewing wires, i try to keep the ones un-used disconnected so if he get to that one wire he wouldent get electiuted but im afraid if he gets near one pluged in and i dont noteis well you know, any tips on that?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are no breed at all---cats usually breed just fine on their own with no human interference. Veryvery few cats are selectively bred into what we call breeds. Most vets are not experts on cat breeds (or on cats at all :mad:), so if the vet tells you she's anything but a domestic shorthair (that's what we call cats of no breed), then take that with a grain of salt. If you bought a purebred from a breeder, they would have told you what breed she is.

Your kitten is almost certainly female, as only 1 in 3000 calicos/torties are male. The black and orange (which is properly called red) genes are both carried on the X chromosome, so to have both black and red on them, the cat needs to have two X chromosomes. Which means either female or a male with a genetic disorder. If you post pics of her backside, we should be able to tell for sure, but I would bet on her being a female.

She is really too young to be away from her mother, which is probably why her litterbox habits aren't too good. You'll need to keep her in a small space with no hiding places or soft surfaces (like a bathroom) when you can't supervise her, so that she has no choice but to use the litterbox. This will also keep her from chewing wires. When you are supervising, put her in the litterbox every half hour or so, and praise her and give her a treat when she does use it. Don't get too excited with the praise, though, most cats don't like a big fuss.

For the biting and scratching, get a big plush animal, and replace your body parts with it whenever she wants to play. When she bites or scratches, make a loud yelping noise like an injured kitten would make, and turn your back on her for a few seconds. This is what her siblings would do to teach her to play nicely, and since she was taken away from them too young, you'll have to substitute. Also get a fishing pole type toy and play with her often. You want her to be too tired to be naughty. This is especially important before bedtime.

You can usually switch to clumping litter when the kitten is about 4 months old. This is also the age you should have her spayed---don't want her to be an unwed teenage mother! :tongue2: Make arrangements with the vet now for her spay appointment so you don't have to wait.

shylomangacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hm well ill try to take a picture of her rear end see if i can, she does not really let me go behind her to cheak she'll think we are playing and just well run around and play. but thanks alot, me and my mum are planing all of this out when we are gonna get her vacinnated micro chiped spayed 

im sorry if im asking too many questions when i could just look up on google but i like awnsers come up like this

but besides the rabies shot and distemper shot what other shots are a must need, becuse my vet well what she likes to do is when ever my parents take my dogs for a cheak up without me let them know that there are things that my dog needs, like a few weeks ago she had a little stomage problem, what i thought with just a bland diet can settle her down a bit, but out vet wanted to give her plenty of shots do alot of blood work do x-rays to see if she ate anything bad and i know my dog well that she does not do any of that stuff, she knows whats food and whats not food probaly ate some bad grass, i think you get my point, i think they do this so they can get payed more. i just want to know off the bat what is importaint and what is requier by law to have

thanks a ton

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only the rabies shot is required by law (in most places in the US). Everything else is your choice. I would recommend the "distemper" combo ("feline distemper" isn't really distemper. It's a parvovirus and the proper name is panleukopenia) shot for a kitten. If she will never go outside, do NOT let the vet talk you into giving her a feline leukemia vaccine---it has a lot of side effects and is not necessary for an indoor cat. Don't accept any other vaccines. Don't let the vet talk you into having her de-clawed.

Canned food is best for cats, because they don't drink enough water. Here's more on that: www.catinfo.org

shylomangacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh i know de-clawing is a big no Ive a have a few friends helping me out with my kitten first thing she told me was about de-clawing and why it should not be done i feel horrible for the cats that gotten them de-clawed. i planned for her not to go outside since 2 of my neighbors have to large dogs so I'm not very if they had any experience with cats, my kitten shes loves to climb soo i wouldn't be so surprise if i took her out she would climb over the fence, then another reason why she'll be an indoor cat i live by a very busy street, theres usually at least 1 road kill on that road. so i just give her rabies and distemper? right now shes eating hard food just fine as well as drinking water, should i mix the canned food in her dry food?