Just a huge domestic cat or part Mein Coon?

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there cat lovers!

I posted about Texas the Cat before - the kitten that i got from craigslist, but today my post is about a cat me and my boyfriend rescued today. 

The cat came out of nowhere in the middle of the night as we were walking. He walked with us and followed us all the way home. We fed him, but he looked too good to be homeless and we thought we was just someone's cat. But a week later the cat was still hanging out by my boyfriend's house every day and not leaving. No one was looking for him. So tomorrow we are taking him to the vet and he will be forever in a purrrfect home with 2 friendly gods.  

He certainly looks like a regular domestic cat, but the thing is he is HUGE. I am 5 "7 and I struggle holding him because of how big and heavy he is. He is probably 25 pounds (we will know for sure tomorrow at the vet, but he is certainly somewhere there), he has big bulky head with a wide-isn nose, big wide paws. The photo is not great and was taken with a phone, but I will later upload better photos. Given his size and a brief detail of his complexion, do you think he is just a big kitty or could he be part Maine Coon?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello there cat lovers!

I posted about Texas the Cat before - the kitten that i got from craigslist, but today my post is about a cat me and my boyfriend rescued today. 

The cat came out of nowhere in the middle of the night as we were walking. He walked with us and followed us all the way home. We fed him, but he looked too good to be homeless and we thought we was just someone's cat. But a week later the cat was still hanging out by my boyfriend's house every day and not leaving. No one was looking for him. So tomorrow we are taking him to the vet and he will be forever in a purrrfect home with 2 friendly gods.  

He certainly looks like a regular domestic cat, but the thing is he is HUGE. I am 5 "7 and I struggle holding him because of how big and heavy he is. He is probably 25 pounds (we will know for sure tomorrow at the vet, but he is certainly somewhere there), he has big bulky head with a wide-isn nose, big wide paws. The photos are not great and takes with the phone, but I will later upload better photos. Given his size and a brief detail of his complexion, do you think he is just a big kitty or could he be part Mein Coon?
Impossible to know.  As he is at this moment rather shorthair, and no apparent Maine Coon looks, he is a big kitty.

But to get THAT big although not fat, the easiest way to get into that class of heaviness is to have some fresh Maine Coon ancestor.   (Maine, as in the US state Maine )

Alike your ancestor was the sailor-officer.    :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Impossible to know.  As he is at this moment rather shorthair, and no apparent Maine Coon looks, he is a big kitty.

But to get THAT big although not fat, the easiest way to get into that class of heaviness is to have some fresh Maine Coon ancestor.   (Maine, as in the US state Maine )

Alike your ancestor was the sailor-officer.    :)
Thank you for the response! I was thinking that may be his grandpa was Maine Coon *thank you for the correction too!*