Jumping

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have mentioned before that Piper doesn't really seek high places... which is still true. That said, she has been jumping on the couches and beds lately. By jumping, I mean, she puts her front paws on the couch or bed and then pushes with her back legs while pulling with her front legs. She has been with us for 2 months and was a stray before that. We've treated giardia and capillaria, but otherwise, no health issues. Is it possible that she is just still getting comfortable and is a little hesitant or still recovering from having been on her own? She was incredibly thin and infested with fleas and ticks. When she first showed up, she had a pretty pronounced "swayback" look, but that actually seems to have improved. The vet estimated her age at about 1 year, so she isn't old. I'm not sure how long it would normally take to fully bounce back from what she went through. She's happy and relaxed and seems to be comfortable here with us, but my husband keeps commenting on how she isn't a very "good" jumper and I'm curious to know what others thoughts might be. He grew up with cats and I didn't, so I'm a total novice.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just aren't big on jumping. My boy, Link, prefers the same thing with front paws up then jumping/climbing on chairs and such. Part of his is leg injuries in the past and early arthritis, so you might want some x-rays to see if there is any damage just to be safe. But, it doesn't necessarily mean injury so that is just me being overly cautious. Link was a pretty klutzy kitten so I've always assumed he took a few misjumps and grew cautious in his leaping. My girl, Rocket, also isn't the best jumper. There is no injury and no mishaps though to explain her relutance. She has short little legs, so that could be it, and doesn't often try to go on anything taller then 18-24 inches.

On the other hand, some cats are just vertical lovers. My Mom's cat will jump into arms, onto backs, on top of a five foot tall dresser or on top of the same height washers all the time. All without clawing his way up to. He someone seems to just glide straight up when he wants to go up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What she's doing isn't really abnormal at all, and she may begin actually "jumping" as her health continues to improve, and she gains confidence. Since you say that she was in such poor shape when you took her in, she may have to re-learn jumping as a cat thing. So long as she's getting where she wants to go, let her have at it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I am finally starting to see her be more playful, even if it's only in short bursts, so hopefully she still just needs time to recover. She was in pretty sad shape when she showed up. I will keep watching her and see how it goes. :)