jumping ON TOP of the flat screen

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, as usual im back to get help with my problem child haha. our flat screen sits on a small 2 shelf end table type table. jericho has always jumped up there and we would shoo him away, but one night i came out to get a drink and caught him on top of the flat screen swaying back and forth. we couldnt keep him off of the table or the tv so we decided to put double sided tape down on the tv table and the next time he jumped up he freaked out and hasnt done it since. well its been about a month and i caught him yesterday ontop of the tv again, so he must be used to the tape now. so my question is how the heck do i keep him off? its not like he doesnt know he cant be up there. as soon as i see him he gets that "oh
" look on his face and wobbles as fast as he can and jumps off and hides under something. i really dont want to mount the tv bc it will be a pain when we move out of our apartment..but what else is there!? can i buy him a new not so mischevious personality or something? lol

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat post/tree for him to climb on? Something high up? Cats like to be up high. I had a problem with my cat getting on the table and stuff till my stepfather built him a cat post with a few different levels...the highest one being almost 6 feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no we havent had the money for it but i plan on getting one soon because i can tell he is getting bored with climbing on the couches and chairs since he has now decided its fun to climb the curtains, walls, and door frames

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have two choices with the TV. Wall mount it or put it in a cabinet with a top on it that will prevent anything from getting to the top of the tv. Just be aware that a cabinet like that will turn into cat furniture in place of the tv...

What's your current budget that you could spend on cat furniture right now? Could you spare $20?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a lowes or home depot go look at their plastic shelves. Get the tallest one you can afford. If they have a display one set up, test it for sturdiness. You may have to go over to the plumbing section and get some PVC glue (if you do that, go outside to glue it together). Gluing it together will mean it's permanently stuck together.

Put shelves somewhere safe (away from other shelves and the tv) and near a chair or something to make it easier to jump to the top.
Add an old pillow, folded up blanket, or towel to a shelf or two. If you use the later you can drape it over the front and back and create an "enclosed" hiding spot on the shelf below.

And that's cheap DIY cat furniture.
Later on you can replace it with proper cat furniture and move the selves out to a garage or utility room and use them yourself.

skullman80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Emma used to always go on the tv stand and around the back of the tv when I had it on a stand. She loved to investigate it. It is one of the few places that was off limits though.

So in the past week or so I got a TV mount for the wall, I'm sure she could still jump up there if she really wanted to, but she hasn't tried. I still have a stand underneath that just has the cable box/xbox on it, and she will still go on that at times, but no harm there.

Just as long as she stays away from my tv.
I even put wire covers over the wires hanging down from the tv so she won't swat at them.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
strang wings that is a good idea! i never thought of that! i will definately look into it and see if my boyfriend can pull out his handy man side for a second and help me with it (i love putting things together and connecting electronic stuff, so he never has to lol).

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Get a SSSCAT, and flatscreens should be wall mounted. Its much more attractive and cheap (mine was a mere $18):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828
hard to do when you have to spackle and then paint every wall or not get a deposit back for your apartment if you make holes in the walls though..its not an option.