Jumping into the refrigerator?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight constantly jumps into the refridgerator, every time we open the door. He's still tiny enough that he can fit on the shelves. We have to always be on the look out for him. I don't think the door will close tight with him in there, my father has tried it a few times and the door hits Midnight's butt and it doesn't close. But I'm afraid that it is going to close the 1 time we don't notice him in there. We always are careful, but why is he doing this? Lynxx & Luna never did this. My grandparents cats never did this. How do we stop this behavior? I know it will stop when he's a full grown cat, he'd never fit then, but it's a problem now.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once saw where someone suggested keeping a vacuum cleaner close by and plugged in. Whenever you open the door and he looks interested, flip it on. He'll associate the scary sound with the refrigerator and lose interest. He either wants to get in there because he knows it's where the food is or he's just curious. Either way, kitty paws in the fridge are no good!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I've run into that with Queen Eva. Never had the problem with a cat before, though have read others who have.

I have simply gotten into the habit of looking before I shut the refrigerator door.

And..if I'm having one of those moments where I can't find her (even though she is sleeping in plain sight, you know how they do) the first place I check is the fridge, now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's simply a new place that he's not normally allowed. Tomas still does it occasionally with the fridge and the other bathroom when that door gets opened.

You lift Midnight out and tell him no, stay out. Or tell him no, down until he gets down. Always do this, never slack on correcting him, and he'll eventually stop doing it. (I'm not consistent with Tomas, he's an adult cat and not sneaky - but he will instantly get down when told to)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he a young curious one? Personally I don't know how one can go into a fridge and close it without noticing a kitty in it, unless they are leaving it open for a time, but that's me
. I never recommend using objects to create fear such as vacuums or water bottles......The best way to correct the situation is to stop it before it happens by not letting him jump in, however it may be more difficult to get everyone in the home to watch out and follow through with correction then keeping him out of the fridge!

On another note, Maia's best friend CeCe was a fridge hopper....

To cute for words!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pria does the same thing, but with her it's because she's a piglet, will eat anything, and is always looking for food.
I too just always look to make sure she's not in there before closing the door to be safe.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I once saw where someone suggested keeping a vacuum cleaner close by and plugged in.
That only works if your cats are scared of the vacuum, which none of mine are. I'm also not a fan of scarring cats.

All my cats and kittens love to investigate the fridge, we just make sure no one is inside when the door's shut.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I'm also not a fan of scarring cats.
I have no problem with it if it keeps them alive. Mine aren't allowed to investigate the dryer. I usually just clap my hands really loud to drive them away. Friday, like your cats, isn't scared of the vacuum either but I once saw where someone suggested it in the case of a cat who was aggressively darting out the front door and had once gotten lost. I think scarring them preferable to the alternative.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm against the vacuum idea, too. If a simple but firm "no" doesn't work for you, you're doing something wrong. You can't have a vacuum out and near by every time you need to shoo a cat away from something. (with 7 that like to mess with stuff, it's impossible in this house)
Now, mind you some cats will argue if you tell them NO, but keep repeating it while you move them.

Plus, vacuum cords look rather chewy to me. I'm not going to give anyone the chance to test that out.

In more serious situations I'll clap or stomp. The cats move faster but they're so use to noise around here that it doesn't actually scare anyone.

ladygananoque

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty does that to, your kitty is probably just wondering what all the smells in the fridge are. I havent found a way from stopping my kitty from doing it, just be careful she doesn't get stuck in there.

sinbadsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty Rusty (two years old now, a rescued feral kitten) likes to jump in the fridge. What I've found most helpful is keeping some food items lined up along the front of shelves, as a barrier. He'll still try to jump in occasionally, but this usually slows him down enough that he doesn't get inside the fridge before I catch him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight is very interested in food, he knows we get food from there. He also is very curious, and loves to explore new things. We just scoop him up and put him down tell him "no" and send him on his way. He's growing so fast now, that soon he won't be able to even fit in there. I can't wait for that day!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our youngest (5-6 months old siamese mix) is very interested in food, esp human food, and loves to jump into the fridge. he likes going into the dishwasher too when we're loading up the dishes! and we caught him licking off the plates in the sink... we just have to be extra careful when we open the fridge and dishwasher, and when we're cooking on the stove!

monikar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm against the vacuum idea, too. If a simple but firm "no" doesn't work for you, you're doing something wrong. You can't have a vacuum out and near by every time you need to shoo a cat away from something. (with 7 that like to mess with stuff, it's impossible in this house)
Now, mind you some cats will argue if you tell them NO, but keep repeating it while you move them.

Plus, vacuum cords look rather chewy to me. I'm not going to give anyone the chance to test that out.

In more serious situations I'll clap or stomp. The cats move faster but they're so use to noise around here that it doesn't actually scare anyone.
Each book I got on how to train kittens and cats presented the idea of loud noises and spraying with water when the cat becomes agressive or does something undesirable. I tried correcting my kitten's behaviour verbally and by ignoring it, which was step 1 in the book but it did not help. Spraying with water helped a lot, she stopped biting me and my whole family (these were playful bites but painful and drew blood). The only thing I need to correct in her behaviour now is jumping in the fridge. Usually I just have to show her the water bottle and she calms down, but I don't always have it with me and I'm afraid that she will get hurt if she gets stuck in the fridge for a day. I had guests the other day, she managed to sneak in so fast I didn't notice her. I'm very careful and gentle with her always and I resent the suggestion that I'm the one doing something wrong. I do advise the gentle small squirt over the hind parts of the cat, much better than letting her get away with getting into the fridge, which ends often in the cat getting hurt ( my husband didn't notice her sneaking in and let the fridge door close, turned out it bumped off her head). 

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat (1/2 feral Siamese, 1/2 I believe Korat) saw me getting into the freezer for food, so he started jumping onto the ledge (fascinated by the cool air) and the fact he gets mom's attention and my taking him down. As to stopping the habit. Some won't like this, but I say tell him/her a firm No! And give him a little spank on the meaty part of her/his bottom. Not one to hurt the kitty, just enough to startle it. And set it outside of the fridge. OR they do sell training aids that are spray cans that puff air and make a noise that work off of motion. I would sit one inside the fridge and then open the door in front of her/him so they get the noise. Or set it in the fridge leaving the door open, so when the cat goes into the fridge it gets the audible correction and the puff of air that will scare it, negatively enforcing the correction.Good Luck!

nmh19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 month old cat does this all the time. There's no dissuading him from jumping in - the only thing that works is lining the shelves with things so he can't get through, as one other poster recommended. I wouldn't spank or use a water spray, or even the vacuum, but that's just me. I figure, if he can't actually physically get in, that's good enough. And no matter what I ALWAYS check before I close the door.  (same with the dryer) :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daisy LOVES to investigate the fridge whenever you open the door.  I've learned to stick my foot out to deter her, which she promptly jumps over, then lift her up and remove her from the fridge.  She doesn't move when the door gets close to her!  She sniffs out all the meat!!