Josh's grandmother is in the hospital

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Josh's Nanny got admitted into the hospital this morning after severe abdominal cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. The doctors think it is most likely c. diff (an infection of the intestines which can be mild to life threatening).

She was in the hospital for most of last week for an infection of the soft tissue in her foot. So most likely the infection came from being around the bacteria as well as the IV antibiotics that she was on for her foot.

They're running tests right now to confirm, but I don't know how long it takes to get results. If that is what it is, she'll be in the hospital for awhile for a different type of IV antibiotics.

It's scary though because she is exactly the kind of patient that would get a severe case of c. diff. She's in her late 70's and her health has declined significantly over the last 2 years. She has hepatitis C as well as some lung problems. She's been in the hospital for various reasons every couple of months the last few years. Her immune system is almost non existent.

I can't help but automatically think of the negative. Josh is so close to her.... When he lost his grandfather (her husband), he was devastated. I can't imagine what would happen if he lost her.

I would really appreciate some vibes for Nanny......

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear the news about Josh's nanny being ill.
I hope they take great care of her in the hospital and she recovers and gets back home soon..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

They're running tests right now to confirm, but I don't know how long it takes to get results. If that is what it is, she'll be in the hospital for awhile for a different type of IV antibiotics.
Actually the preferred treatment is oral antibiotics - metronidazole and vancomycin are the antibiotics used. They give them as a liquid that you have to take. I haven't had liquid metro but can guess it tastes as bitter as the pills, liquid vancomycin is bitter, too.
They will also give her cholestyramine powder mixed with a liquid to bind the toxics. If you can talk to her, tell her it goes down better with juice than with water.

The stool culture shouldn't take more than a day, but mostly they're looking for type A and be B toxins - C is rare and a very resistant strain.

The IV will mostly be for fluids since they're lost so quickly.
I hope her liver is ok.

I spent 4 days in the hospital for this. They'll have her on some dietary restrictions for a few days, I hope she can keep everything down.

That she gets better. You may want to have someone discuss with her doctor about getting her on a probiotic supplement soon as that can help keep the c diff in check a bit.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending many healing vibes for her.

Don't worry too much. My DH's grandma has been in and out of the hospital dozens of times in the last year and she always bounces back
She is 86!