Jigglypuff keeps staking Sassy

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted a cat in July (Named Jigglypuff, Jiggy for short) and everything was going super well. Sassy doesn't necessarily like her, but tolerates her. Jiggy would stay away and it was great. However, for the last week or so, Jiggy has been staking Sassy, literally EVERYWHERE she goes. It's gotten to the point where Sassy growls/hiss while they both swat each other. We were gone for roughly 4 days during the holidays and we had a pet sitter come by twice a day. My grandfather is also in the hospital, which means that during the weekend we aren't home and with my work schedule, I'm not often home either. We have the Feliway Friends defusing in the house, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Sassy is almost 16 and has quite a few health issues, so it's killing me seeing her so on edge. Jiggy however is only 6/7 years old. Sassy is on Gabapentin and I will ask my vet about giving some to Jiggy.
Any tips I could use to keep them calm?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, Jiggy wants to play and Sassy does not. She tells Jiggy this by hissing and swatting. They are effectively communicating. I wouldn't worry unless Sassy isn't eating, using the litterbox, or hiding all day under the bed or something, or if there is bloodshed. Sounds like Jiggy needs some interactive toys, some time one on one playing hard with you with a laser pointer or wand or something to tire him out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like you being gone for the holidays, having only a sitter there a couple of times a day, and being away from the house more than normal because of your grandfather has upset the cats, particularly Jiggy. This is likely going to be temporary, especially when you can get back to a more normal schedule that the cats had been used to.

In the meantime, separate them when you are not home to prevent unsupervised issues between them. And, pick Jiggy up, tell her 'No' and put her in a 2 minute 'time out' whenever she attacks Sassy - but make it an entirely different location that where she is placed when you are not home. You don't want her to correlate being disciplined for attacking Sassy with the same place you are having her stay when you are not home.

You might also consider buying some automated, interactive toys for Jiggy to play with when you are not home. There are also other calming products on the market you could try. Not all work on all cats, as you have found out with the Feliway. I would recommend doing a search on the internet for 'cat calming products' and see if there are any others you would like to try.

Sassy has a reason to be on Gabapentin, Jiggy does not. So, if it were me I wouldn't want to medicate a cat unnecessarily.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with above. Jiggy is being a cat, he doesn't need medication to calm him down. That wouldn't be fair. He needs more stimulation and separation from the other cat to give her a rest.