Jed interviewed a potential roommate

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His application to the landlord approved, James now had one more hurdle to pass -- an interview with Grandmaster Jed, Supreme Overlord of All Things Catnip, before he is allowed to move into the castle where the Grandmaster makes his lair.

James' interview was set for today. He arrived early, and I met him outside the castle for last-minute preparation. James seems nervous, but I assured him I'll be right there as his translator. I opened the door to the castle, the scent of EVO Chicken and Turkey wafting through the air. James was undeterred. He got this. He took a seat at a chair specially prepared for him while we wait for Jed to receive him. We made small talk in the meantime.

Ten minutes later, Jed saunters out from his chambers. He saw me first. I greeted him with a slow blink. He blinked back. Then he took a few graceful steps forward, in full view of James. He sized James up, who sat perfectly still. Jed took a few tentative steps towards him.

"He's curious about you. See his tail? It's in the shape of a question mark," I translated to James, who nodded thoughtfully.

Jed stopped two feet away from James. He began making a dramatic gesture of sniffing the air, his nose pointed forward.

"You have a new scent. He's registering that scent into his mind." I offered.

"Like a computer?"

"Yes, like a computer."

"Is it because I smell funny?"

"No, you just smell "new". He's used to the different smells in this house, but you, you are new."

A whole minute passed and Jed did not move. He stared at James, but his ears were swiveling slightly. I pointed that out to James.

"See his ears? He's in alert mode. He's curious, but he doesn't know quite yet what to make of you."

At that point, James shifted in his seat slightly, and Jed visibly jerked slightly backwards. James noticed it.

"Oops. Sorry."

"As I said, he's in alert mode. Since it was so quiet in here, that probably startled him a little. But he hasn't run away, so it's no big deal. Just no sudden movements."

James asked, "Can I pet him?"

"You'll have to ask his permission. Extend your hand with your fist closed."

As soon as James did that, Jed perked up and moved towards his fist. He then spent a few long seconds sniffing and running his nose all over James' hand. We both waited with bated breath. This is it -- the moment of judgment.

After what felt like a long time, Jed rubbed his head decisively against James' outstretched hand. He started purring as James broke into a wide grin and scratched his chin.

"Congratulations. Welcome aboard," I said with the same grin on my face.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'm glad to hear he got Jed's purr of approval. I hope he manages to get his new room mate trained soon.

"This is how we play."

"Here's how I like to be petted."

"These are the kind of treats I like."

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that Jed gets the final say in who your roommate is. No prizes for guessing who rules your house :lol3

:worship: "Oh, great and all powerful Jed, will you do me the honour of letting me stay. .."

(I have to admit, we'd be just as bad. As it is, no one gets through the door without Leah's permission, and that's just the start...)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a great storyteller you are.  

Cats are the best judges of character, aren't they?!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Obviously I was being overdramatic, but it's significant because Jed has never been good with guests. He runs away and hide all day if it isn't me, my current roommate or my landlady. 

I met this guy only very recently, and I really like him because he's so respectful towards my cat too. The best part is that he's even allergic to them. I asked him if it would be a problem, and he said "No big deal, I've lived with one before and I've got meds." Who says that outside of TCS???