Jealous New Kitten?

bakvskg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may not be a big issue at all, but I figured I would get some input from your experiences since I am relatively new to this.:noob:

Artemis is about one year old, I've had her since she was a kitten, and Gaston is our new four month old kitten- has been with us for about a month now. Introductions went well, they are getting along pretty well overall- they spend the day sleeping next to each other and playing. I think Gaston's personality is a little more outgoing than Artemis's in general, but she of course is physically bigger so it makes for some interesting dynamics at times.

I recently noticed that when Artemis snuggles with me, he comes over an nips at her neck or tail, in an attempt to get her to move. She ignores this at first, but he is so persistent that she eventually moves. I think he is either competing with her for "resources" or is just being a typical little brother, because he doesn't really demand cuddles from me unless Artemis is there first. (I also see this behavior with toys and food- he MUST be playing with whatever she is playing with, even if he is already deeply engaged with another toy, and he routinely tries to steal her food, which is a whole other issue :sigh:).

Is this typical little kitten behavior or a sign of something potentially problematic that needs to be nipped in the bud? Artemis is so mild mannered I hate to see her getting pushed around since its only a matter of time until Gaston is her size or bigger. On the other hand, they've only been around each other for a few weeks (after the initial separation period), and I'm sure still getting used to each other. Am I worried over nothing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most 4 month old cats can act like brats! Gaston's behavior could diminish over time, but maybe not. There is generally a hierarchy established in multiple cat households, and that might be what Gaston is after - to take the dominate role. This could especially be the case, because Gaston is aware that Artemis is a mild mannered cat and so he recognizes he can take advantage of that.

When this occurs during cuddling, is it possible to work with Gaston to accept that both of them can be there at the same time getting your attention? In other words, don't let him push Artemis out but perhaps put him on the other side of you, where Artemis is not located - and, split your attention?

As far as toys go, that depends on whether you want to intervene or not. You can take the toy away and give it back to Artemis while trying to distract Gaston with another toy. Or, see if you can get duplicate toys - one for each, and give Gaston the duplicate when he goes after a toy Artemis has. Once their smells are on both toys, it could help - but, tbh, I doubt it.

The food issue does need to be addressed as that could be an never ending issue otherwise. He does need to learn boundaries in this area.

It is early yet, Artemis might get to the point of putting Gaston in his place. If you don't think that is going to happen, you might just have to let Gaston become the dominant one - as long as you don't see undue stress or negative behavioral changes in Artemis.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never met a 4-month-old cat who wasn't a brat, actually! At least much of the time. Think 5-year-old little boy. That's what you are dealing with at this stage. While he may be trying to establish dominance, he may just be "at that age." You'll really know who is top cat when he reaches about a year. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you some great advice on handling the snuggling/petting time! After all...you have two hands and two cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bakvskg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Oh he is most definitely a tireless, forever-hungry, little five-year old boy!:hyper:
We have definitely been able to find some time for snuggles when both of them are happy and Gaston can find a spot to settle in. A lap and two hands put to very good use! Artemis has a particular routine of draping herself over my neck like a scarf in the early mornings before I get out of bed and it's the most blissful time of the day for me- in this particular situation Gaston first tried to "copy" his big sister and drape himself over my arm but found it was not the same :lol:. We will have to find a way to integrate him into our morning routine!

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I think you are right about the food issue- this is probably my biggest worry for them. I posted earlier in the cat nutrition forum trying to address this particular issue, but that may have not been the optimal place, given that this is likely more of a behavioral issue.
I don't know Gaston's background with regard to food too well, but I do know he was in foster care and was not raised on the streets, so I do not know where this food thievery is coming from. He is forever hungry, and ALWAYS begs for food whenever I am in the kitchen. I feed him 3-4 times a day, and Artemis gets two meals a day. She has always been a grazer and a bit of a picky eater (though I can usually get her to eat most wet foods by sprinkling some Fortiflora or dry food on top). The biggest advice to come out of my previous post on this was to get her away from being a grazer and get her on timed meals. I think since Gaston's arrival she has become a lot better about eating most of her food in a sitting, but I don't think this is 100% solving the problem.

I have been spreading around Gaston's wet food all over a flat plate to slow down his eating, which has at least achieved that purpose (less hiccups yay!). He and Artemis are fed on opposite sides of the room, and he doesn't even finish half of his food before he darts across the room to get her food. I bought a microchip feeder for her but it doesn't stop him AT ALL. I put up barriers and made it so only one cat can fit in front of the feeder ONLY at any given time, but Gaston simply slides in next to Artemis and sticks his head in and starts eagerly feasting away at her food like a madman! All she does is walk away. In moment like this I wish she would just show him who's boss!! I started patrolling her feeding area during feeding times to at least give her some protection from him for the first five minutes or so of eating, so she can get most of her meal in. That worked a little- she began eating more of her meal (still not the whole thing), and he stopped running over while I was there. But as soon as my back was turned he would try to sneak in. Throughout the day if she ever comes back to her feeder, the sound of the machine opening up triggers him to dart over.

A few days ago I tried moving her feeder to a different floor of the house, but I am not sure she has really gotten used to it or coming back there throughout the day. I have also desperately tried to find a spot that Gaston cannot reach (like a countertop) but he is quickly able to traverse any obstacle if food is involved. I am quickly reaching my wits end on further interventions I can make, and am just hoping with time he grows out of it. Any suggestions I haven't tried?:frustrated:

Sorry for the long-winded description, as this was not originally what I asked in this post, but I DO think it is related. I just hope these feeding issues and overall jealousy issues are just the symptoms of a bratty little boy kitten. I certainly hope that Artemis doesn't develop more anxiety or negative behavioral issues from all of this.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try one of those bowls to slow Gaston down, but that is probably not going to change the facts the he wants her food, just like he wants everything else she has. He is pretty young, so he does require much more food than Artemis.

I know you can't watch them like a hawk 24/7, but as much as you can - always remove him from her bowl, tell him a firm 'no', and put him back at his bowl. You might be doing this for a long time. It's either that or Gaston gets a different feeding schedule, and he is put in a room with the door shut while she eats.

I'll think more on the free-grazing for Artemis... maybe other members will have some ideas. The only other thing is if you catch him shoving her out of the way to get to her food, once again pick him up and tell him a firm 'no' and either place him in time out, or as applicable put him back in front of his own bowl.

bakvskg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely remove him from her bowl as soon as he darts over. Unfortunately unless I am standing right in front of her eating area, by the time I get to him he has already shoved her out of the way, and managed to gorge himself on a few bites of food! The feeder eventually does close, once she is no longer triggering it to be open, but he still has time to get several very ravenous bites in. Sometimes he even physically keeps it open with his head.

I don't even feel like Artemis is a terrible grazer- historically she has finished her meals over the period of about an hour or so. She circles back to her food fairly frequently after I first put it down, she just never stays and eats it all in one sitting. Unfortunately my aforementioned attempts at putting her feeder in a completely separate room haven't worked well because she seems even more nervous there even though Gaston is not around. She keeps looking up from her food to the door.

Lastly, as I sit here and write this, I just watched Artemis go downstairs to use the litter box. I hear her digging, which means she is about to have a BM. Gaston, who was just resting comfortably in the cat tree darted up as soon as he heard the litter box and ran downstairs. Artemis walked away before doing her business. Gaston promptly got in the box she was in and peed. I did NOT think litter box issues were a part of this but now I am going to have to keep a closer eye out. I have been cleaning the boxes every day and wasn't concerned, but now that I think about it I am worried that all the BMs I have been scooping have been Gaston's... (We have four boxes for the two of them by the way, three in one room and one in another).

If his bullying is this bad I am not sure what to do!!! Do I need to separate them again during the day? I realize the potential litterbox may be opening up a whole other can of worms, so I will do a bit more investigating and report back.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I do know he was in foster care and was not raised on the streets, so I do not know where this food thievery is coming from. He is forever hungry, and ALWAYS begs for food whenever I am in the kitchen.
We're back to that 5-year-old-boy thing. They burn tremendous numbers of calories, and are perpetually starving. I reared two of them, albeit the two-footed variety. They would walk in the door, start chewing, and not stop till we were down to bare studs in the walls. It was like rearing locusts. I think he's at that same stage. If he isn't getting fat, he isn't eating too much!

bakvskg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:lol: I haven’t had the pleasure of rearing five year old boys yet but that is a hilarious description!! Gaston certainly fits it!

He’s more than doubled in size since he’s joined us at home! I am between- “growing kittens can’t be overfed”, and my vet telling me that feeding him five 3-oz cans of wet kitten food in one day may be a bit too much!

Currently I feed him 3-4 meals a day, each time it is a 3-oz can of wet kitten food (probably around 100cals each or more, and still slightly more than the vet recommended). He is ravenous! I wish I could break it up into more frequent smaller meals but I can’t on days that I work and I want to keep him on a semi routine.

I think he may actually be getting a little belly, but we can see what the vet says about his weight at our next vaccine appointment.

Hopefully as he matures he realizes he isn’t in danger of going hungry and stops trying to compete with Artemis (who has since successfully used her litter box without beating bullied away!)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His eating will slow down in a few months. Mr. Bubeleh, a neighbor's kitten, is reaching 7 months now, and has gone from 4 feedings a day down to 3, and is almost ready for 2. HE, also, was one of those turbokittens!