Jealous Behavior

ajnewman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I introduced our new cat, Marcel, into our home about a year ago.  He was a few months old when we got him and our other cat,Christopher, is a year older than him.  He's been exhibiting behavior that we chalked up to kittenish exuberance at first, but after reading up online, it sounds like he's having serious jealousy and territorial issues.  Here are some highlights of his behavior:

- Marcel bullies our other cat.  It doesn't seem like he's out to harm him, but he'll aggressively play with him against his will (i.e. he'll tackle and bite him then Christopher will hiss and run away and Marcel will continue chasing and tackling him.)  When Christopher is trying to eat, Marcel will come across the room, slap him, and push his way to the food bowl.  He'll kick Christopher off chairs and off my lap, and otherwise just hit him on the face for no reason.  He won't let me pet Christopher, butting him out of the way when I try.  We've tried punishment for the bullying behavior (water, loud noises) but nothing seems to deter him.   We've had to resort to locking him up in a room sometimes just so Christopher can get a break. 

- He needs attention constantly and is always amped up.  It starts in the morning when he meows at our door and actually sticks his paws underneath and uses it to bang the door back and forth.  He follows us around the house and is always under our feet, meowing loudly.  The fact that we have accidentally stepped on him dozens of times has done nothing to change this behavior.  This behavior does not abate after giving him affection. Playing has no effect either.  We play with him daily, usually until he's out of breath, then he's amped up again 5 minutes later.  Often he'll get wide-pupiled and attacky, which is no good when he's hanging out under our feet.  He'll get in these moods where his claws go out and he'll just dart around the house (and off of us.)

- Lately he's taken to spraying by the litter boxes.  I assume that's a territorial action.  It started when my boyfriend went out of town.  I think he's extra upset because my boyfriend is his favorite person.

Help!  We love both of our cats and hate the stress this has put on our older cat.  And it's difficult keeping up the energy to meet all his needs.  Has anyone dealt with anything similar?  I have had many cats, but never one as needy and territorial as this little guy.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! A few questions for you. Are they both neutered? Were they introduced slowly per the method in this article? http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

A lot of the behaviors you mention do seem like normal kittenish behaviors. However, they do seem very territorial as well which made me wonder about the neutering...

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had something similar when I introduced Murray at age 2, to Maggie, who was 11. We had just lost our cat Leonard, who was 16.
I think Murray was having terrible two's when we got him. Although we tried the slow introduction, it didn't last long enough. Murray was chasing and attacking Maggie right from the start. He hadn't shown this behavior in the adoption room.
Murray did get better and Maggie learned to stand up for herself but we can't leave them alone unsupervised. We did try Feliway. It had no effect. You might try a calming collar.
Murray also does territorial spraying. He is on Prozac about twice a week.
Murray is mostly interested in eating Maggie's food.
Maggie stays in our bedroom. Murray has the rest of the house. I take each out for walks in our garden.
We did see a cat behavior vet and tried her suggestions. I decided to not try to push it anymore for Maggie. It is too stressful for her to be around him all the time. She's made improvements but she just doesn't like him.
Most cat introductions work out. I don't think our experience is typical.

sweetslayer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I just got a new kitten and I have 2 adult cats. Gucci is fine with her but tia my calico/ syamise is not happy she keeps growling and hissing at it. I have to work in a few hours for the evening and I'm not sure what to do with them while I'm gone I don't want tia to attack the kitty. Although my 2 adult cats are declared it still worries me. Any advice?