Jasper Is 3 Months Now

Suchasweety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jasper is 3 months and weighs 4 1/2 lbs. He loves to snuggle. Very soft fur. Silky soft. He purrs so loud we can't hear the radio on our normal bedtime level. He loves to brushed..

I have trimmed his claws due to their sharp points. Any tips on how to keep Mr. Squirmer in place while I do so? He squirms out of a tight towel roll( rolls over and gets out) he is super faster. He is one of those cats he is no where then boom in face licking you.lol
I have tried treats before and after. I am going to hold him and just hold clippers next to him and see if i can get him use to me holding his large kitty paws and clippers without using them. Maybe he will get use to it between now and the next time. He is a kitty and we all know kitties don't like sitting still and definitely not confined. I am understanding of that.

All in all, I have great cats.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! At his young age, clipping his nails might just be a two-person job to start off with. Have a friend/family member willing to help, until he gets used to it?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one about the same age, and I trim her nails myself. Sometimes, she gets too rambunctious and I have to split the job over several days.

I do work at getting all the cats used to having their paws handled. A couple of five-minute sessions a week, followed by a treat works wonders when it comes to nail trimming.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait until he is sleeping or falling asleep. At his age they sleep pretty sound and he probably won’t have a clue what you are doing.. Scoop him onto your lap and let him get back to sleep and then gently express and clip. Actually any time you have him on your lap you should touch his paws and express his claws so that he gets used to the handling and will be less resistant when he is older.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually any time you have him on your lap you should touch his paws and express his claws so that he gets used to the handling and will be less resistant when he is older.
I can attest to this! We touch and play with their paws every chance we get, and now my kitties actually enjoy getting their paws handled. My girl even purrs sometimes when I clip her nails. Since yours is still a kitten, you definitely have the chance to make it a more pleasant experience!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suchasweety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. We can touch his paws all day long. Once those clippers come out he rolls, twists, twirls, pushes up with back feet, uses mouth to push down towel to get front paw loose. ItaI funny to watch but not when it's time to do nails. LoL. He does sleep pretty sound. Maybe I should wait until 11 pm when he settles down for the night. Good idea thank you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this on Amazon -
It's a cat bag, the vet showed me one years ago. I bought the largest, but it was too small for my guy. Since yours is a kitten maybe. I have trouble getting Amazon addys to work, so I'll give you the name and you can copy and paste and look at it. Your local pet store probably has something similar.

Downtown Pet Supply Cat Grooming Bag - Cat Restraint Bag, Cat Grooming Accessory + FREE Cat Muzzle by Downtown Pet Supply.

Being Amazon there are other styles and choices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suchasweety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I am going to check that out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a cat bag, the vet showed me one years ago. I bought the largest, but it was too small for my guy.
I bought that one too, and it was too small for my cats also. So I got this one in XL (Xtra Large)