Jasper And A Lesson To Be Learned

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like all of you, I have made many sacrifices for my animals over the years, and I have done it willingly and don't regret anything I've done to try to help them. I've paid thousands and thousands of dollars for their care, and I've gone without nice furniture, clothes, and vacations just to ensure their health and well being. I'm in debt because when my teacher pay did not cover expenses, I'd get a credit card of borrow money so that I could pay for vet bills.

I am not patting myself on the back here. I am not thinking what a great pet owner I am.

Let me tell you the story of my sweet orange and white tabby cat Jasper, who was one of the greatest cats I've ever had. When I first saw his sweet little smudgy white face under my holly bush that summer evening all those years ago, I wanted to love and protect him forever. His mom had given birth to him and his three siblings under my house, and within a short time, all of the kittens were inside where they would stay until they died. (I still have two of them now along with mama Amber, who came inside about a year and a half after they were born)

Eleven years later, as I process my grief over losing him last week, I feel guilty and ashamed and wish so much that I had handled things differently.

I wish I could remember every little thing about Jasper. I have dozens of pictures of him, and I'm so grateful I do, but with as many animals as I have had and still have, it's hard to give them 100% attention, and I admit that I have been a foster failure because I get too attached. I was going to place Jasper and his siblings with the vet's office to be put up for adoptions, but I couldn't do it. This I don't regret at all because they gave me laughter, unconditional love, and many hours of entertainment over the years!

I don't remember when Jasper's ear problems started, but they would get dirty, and sometimes, I'd put off cleaning them. This I hugely regret. I had no idea what kinds of problems might result from inflammation. I hate myself for this. I should have known.

Many times, I'd take him to the vet's for ear cleanings, and sometimes, I would do it myself, and I'm afraid I cleaned them a little too hard. I didn't think I was hurting him, but I wanted to make sure I got the debris out, and I was probably too rough in my cleaning.

Jasper was a healthy cat, and other than the medicines for his ears if he had infections, I don't remember any other health concerns, and this was not a constant problem for him. In recent years, he had two dentals and a few extractions and did fine. He was actually due for one soon, but we wanted to wait until the ear polyp was removed and he had recovered from that.

Last December, I took him in for a check up because his third eyelid was showing and he was not himself. The vet saw the ear polyp. I hadn't heard of this before in cats or even in dogs. I was shocked. Within a few days and for the next two months, Jasper did well with treatment, and I was hoping to continue him on the ear drops to manage the polyp, but that didn't happen. He started having some problems, and I knew surgery was the only option. For the most part, he did great until last Wednesday night. He was eating, snuggling with me, and he seemed to be enjoying life. That changed two days after his surgery, and I'm waiting on final reports from the vet's biopsy, etc. I don't know why he suddenly got ill two days after the polyp removal. My vet thinks it's possible something else was going on. I want answers, but at the same time, I feel horrible that sometimes, I'd put off cleaning his ears. Now when I take the animals to the vet, I get ear cytologies done. I don't want to ever go through this again. As much as I loved and tried to care for Jasper, I feel like I failed him, and I am gutted.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did not fail him, you gave him everything he wanted, a nice home and someone to love him......
I had a cat that went through the same thing. The problem was, he was feral and too smart to be caught, and when he finally was, it was too late. What iI thought was an ear infection turned out to be a tumor, very deep and unseen. By then he was stumbling and shockingly thin.
Your sweet little one most likely had the same thing, it is something that often is undiagnosed until it is too late.
Finding fault in yourself ALWAYS accompanies losing a loved one. Why? Because not one of us is perfect and there will ALWAYS be something there to blame yourself for. It is a very real part of grief. Don't go there. You can't possibly see into the future or cover everything in an illness. Even Drs., and vets, don't find everything there is.
Your sweet boy is at peace because he carries your love with him. Love is spiritual, so eternal. He will always love you and you him, and not even death is strong enough to break that bond. It is horrible he had to leave you, but there is nothing to be gained by dwelling over his end, except finding more questions, more sadness, and much more grief. You must grieve over losing a very important part of your life, but don't take blame and beat yourself up over something you really had no control over.
It hurts, it hurts badly. But your sweet boy would never want you to be so sad because of him. Go forward into life and live it as you would want him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less. Because that is love.
He gave you something that is earned in this world, and oh so precious, a cat's love........RIP beautiful Jasper. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your beautiful words mean so much to me. Thank you. I am going to re-read this again and again. Your feral cat was lucky to have you care for him as you did. I love the ferals too and in fact, recently tamed one. They seem to always find us, don't they?
I will remember your kind words.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
di and bob di and bob is right, you didn't fail at all. You did the very best you could and gave this little boy so much love and good care. I know it's easier said than done, but please don't beat yourself up with the what-ifs. There may well have been something else going on that you couldn't have known about.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. :hugs: Rest in peace, little Jasper. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Jasper, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Oh, my Friend, you did nothing wrong. Nothing at all. And dirty ears do not cause polyps in cats. We do not know for sure where they come from, but they seem to be related to something such as a respiratory virus, NOT dirty ears. Acquit yourself of this. Nothing you did or did not do could have changed this. As for Jasper, he lived, breathed and had his very being wrapped safe in your love. From his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you for your love, and he whispers to Those Who Watch, "That's my human, she's one of the special ones!"

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh please don't feel like you did anything wrong - I have had a cat with ear polyps and I doubt that anything you did caused a polyp, it is just something that sometimes happens, some cats seem more prone to it than others (and it does sound as though he was prone to ear issues) and it's unlikely that anything you did either caused it, or could have prevented it.

I am so sorry for your loss, when one doesn't recover as expected after surgery it is especially difficult and upsetting.
My thoughts and sympathies are with you.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Alana, you didn't do anything wrong. I am about to write my own crossing the bridge post, and I can honestly say I understand the guilt, the questions, the why. We love our kitties so very much and we wonder "what could I have done differently". But the truth is - nothing. As hard as it is, as gut wrenching as it is - all we can do is the best we can do and love them the best we can love them. You loved Jasper and he has a wonderful kitty cat mama and he had the greatest blessing of a loving home. You loved him well, and that is best :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have just now read these more recent posts, and all of you said such beautiful things that make me smile. I just found out yesterday that the veterinarian who performed his surgery made a contribution to research in Jasper's name. Thank you all for your kindness. Only people like you understand what we go through each time we lose a beloved pet.