Japanese Litter: Silica Balls?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw this type of litter in a YouTube video. Since most people in Japan (from what she said) live in very small apartments with cats, and therefore need litter that doesn't track and absorbs odor well, they thought of something that is seemingly amazing.

No tracking? Dust free? Odor free? Sign me up.

Basically just balls of silica. Seems perfect in my eyes. I already use silica litter because everything else I've tried, no matter how often I scoop, keeps smelling. But this seems like a step up, and I'd love to try this this. Has anyone tried it and know where I can order some in Europe, to try out?

If not I really hope the west catches on to this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if Norachan Norachan knows anything about this or has seen it in the local stores:think: She lives in Japan.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw a video about that, and I must admit the way the youtuber described it it seems perfect for my cat. Though I wouldn't even know where to purchase that from locally lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several brands of silica litter available in the US. The round ones are harder to find but I believe they are sold in some places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do already use silica crystals but I would love to specifically try out the round ones! Both me and the kitty have asthma so a dust-free litter would make our lungs very happy! I'll just keep an eye out for em I guess :lol:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh, interesting. This might actually be a really good solution for declawed kitties whose paws are painful when they walk on most litters, which have rough edges.

Does it clump, though? Gotta say, I love my clumping litter... I have no issues with smell just scooping out the clumps, but I would love a biodegradable litter that actually works well. I haven't had much luck with the ones I've tried so far, so I'm still using clay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh, interesting. This might actually be a really good solution for declawed kitties whose paws are painful when they walk on most litters, which have rough edges.

Does it clump, though? Gotta say, I love my clumping litter... I have no issues with smell just scooping out the clumps, but I would love a biodegradable litter that actually works well. I haven't had much luck with the ones I've tried so far, so I'm still using clay.
Pretty sure it doesn't clump. Not any silica I've personally tried clumps, but I do know of one. I've tried clay and corn litter but they offer very little odour control I think. I prefer non-clumping. Less scooping and less odour! Hence why this seemed perfect for my needs!:lol:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure it doesn't clump. Not any silica I've personally tried clumps, but I do know of one. I've tried clay and corn litter but they offer very little odour control I think. I prefer non-clumping. Less scooping and less odour! Hence why this seemed perfect for my needs!:lol:
Ah, ok. I'm a hardcore clumping believer! Feel like I get more use out of the litter when the waste stays clumped. My search continues...

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm more interested in the silica balls since I tried the crystals before and my cat did not take to it. If anyone knows where to get it here in the US, please link me! Thanks.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The round silicate litter didn't go over too well in Europe; IIRC, the brand I tried was Karlie Percato Pearls, but it looks like only the Percato Rocks are still on the market. I tried the Pearls years ago, and it was an absolute disaster. Our cat hated them, and not only scratched them out of his box, but down the staircase. They rolled everywhere. That was a definite thumbs down from Jamie. :lol:

There's another brand of the pearls that's still available in Germany: Dein Bestes Silikatperlenstreu, sold by the DM drugstore chain and listed on amazon.de.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never seen that in the stores around here. How do you throw it away? I guess silica isn't biodegradable so you'd have to put it in with the combustible rubbish.

The one I'm using at the moment is made from soy based material, so it's biodegradable and non-toxic. It's also really cheap, but that may be because I'm in Asia.

thelaughingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was super interested until I found out it's non-clumping. Gawd, no. I'll stick with the corn litter - at least that clumps and goes down the loo!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was super interested until I found out it's non-clumping. Gawd, no. I'll stick with the corn litter - at least that clumps and goes down the loo!
Actually, there's this specific litter box that doesn't require clumping because the urine would be going into a pee pad. The youtuber who lived in Japan had that, and when I looked for a US version the Tidy Cats Breeze is an option. What I don't like about the breeze is the hard pellets so that's why I think maybe a silica balls are better.