January ear itchies

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sweetie, will be 4 in March. EVERY January, she scratches right by her ear until she works up a sore spot that bleeds. I've been keeping a close eye on her, and dang it, this morning, she had dug her left ear and there was a bloody spot. She is almost all white, so it's pretty easy to spot.

I just put the cone of shame on her to prevent her from digging. I'm hoping that since I caught it early this year, it'll heal up faster and I can get the cone off. It's a soft cone.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this and maybe what I might be able to do? After it heals, it'll be next January I guess when she's going to do it again.

I live in northern Ohio. It's cold and no windows can be opened.

Silly kitty.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like allergies. Has the vet checked her for mites, just to rule that out? You could talk with your vet about giving her a daily dose of antibiotic. My kitties are on the generic equivalent of Claritin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does sound like allergies, but it is weird that it only occurs in January. Anything change in your house around that time, such as a live Christmas tree or other live vegetation/decorations/etc. that aren't normally around otherwise? You could talk to your vet about possibly administering an antihistamine on/around the time this happens, to see if that would prevent a recurrence? For this 'go-round' ask the vet about some antiseptic ointment to help heal it faster - and make sure it isn't getting infected.

In the meantime, you could try using chamomile tea (standard grocery store tea bags which are typically German - you don't want English, and no additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on the sore area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. You can do this multiple times a day, and it is safe should she ingest any of it.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea my cat been overgrooming recently and scratching and barfing hairballs frequently too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No differences except the weather. Her skin doesn't feel dry and it is the same exact spot every year. She doesn't scratch anywhere else. It's weird.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
No differences except the weather. Her skin doesn't feel dry and it is the same exact spot every year. She doesn't scratch anywhere else. It's weird.
I agree with Feebyesowner....Its only happening in January...Right after Christmas...Its like a change if some sort around that time..

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's no fresh air circulating. I don't decorate for Christmas anymore since it's just me.

Maybe I need to crack open a window brrrrrrr.

She's mad at me.

I wish I could make her understand. I need Dr. Doolittle

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she get presents? Maybe something that she is gifted this time of year?

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe fresh air circulating would help is why I mentioned the window, but it's too cold.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh air might decrease the symptoms but if there is no problem the other months, I doubt it would be an allergen that exists all months. Like dust mite, mold... these are either there all year around or gets worse in the summer with humidity.

Could it be fleas? Small ones.

Maybe speak to the local vets. They might know something.

(also cc: Burts Burts ) If you guys hear fireworks on NYE, that might firework-stress related. Or it could be the temperature at home is high. My Hima also sheds too much hair in the winter sometimes but I believe it's because she gets hot.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took off the collar for a bit and she went right back at it. I got the collar back on her. I need to get to the pet store to get an antiseptic. I should have just ordered it off Amazon.

I don't know what makes her do this every year in only that one spot. No fleas. The other two cats are fine.

She sitting on my lap right now and is scratching the cone right at the spot. I'm going to try and trim those back claws.

I have mobility issues right now due to severe knee pain. I'm scheduled for a new knee in February. It's hard to do anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't sound like it is going to be possible this time, but perhaps if you could manage it, take Sweetie into the vet and have them do a skin scraping of that area and have it tested. Maybe, just maybe, they could find the source of the issue and at least recommend a treatment that you could use now - and might just have to use every year at this time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet check her ears for any wax buildup? I am wondering if she might have a yeast infection in her ears.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still dealing with this. She gets the cone off and scratches the scabs off before they heal. Today, I put EMT gel on it. Has anyone used this? A dog owner suggested it. She has the cone on, too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this incident lasting longer than normal? I know you said it generally happens in January, but does it normally last this long? At any rate, have you had any of the testing suggestions above done this time around? I wouldn't use anything that is normally used for dogs unless you check out that it is OK to use on cats as well.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It says for all animals. No I did not take her to the vet. There are no fleas no ear mites. I just didn't think it was going to do any good and would end up costing a lot for nothing.

She keeps getting the cone off and then scratches the scabs which probably itch and then it bleeds.

I figured someone here has to have used the EMT stuff.

My friend said to leave the cone on.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to close this, Sweetie left the spot alone and it's all healed with fur growing back.

I'm going to keep the spot moisturized next January. It was probably just dry itchy skin.