Jamie's sick - wet, dry, or no food?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trisha i know his bowel probably doesn't have anything to do with him being sick, but do you think that the hairball could have been the problem in that department?!.

Rosie's coughed up spit before then a couple of days later the hairball would come up

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope he feels better soon. Some of mine do announce they are going to throw up in a way, they let me know they feel nauseous by doing a lot of lip licking and utter a low cry and then commence...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heh, when teufel threw up a large hairball it contained my hair too

jamie i hope you feel beter soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been wondering if the vomiting had anything to do with the hairball, which Jamie very rarely spits up. I comb him every day, but my husband only did it once or twice a week while I was away. Fran, do you think Teufel might be getting into your hairbrush? One of my sister's cats loves to pull the hair out of hairbrushes or combs and eat it.
Jamie had an antibiotic shot and an anti-spasmodic shot at the vet's, and has to fast this evening, which he's not happy about. I took a stool sample in, but won't get the results back until Thursday. The vet suspects he was exposed to the human stomach "bug" that's been going around. She's had a couple of cases of cats with diarrhea/stomach upset recently, and in most cases somebody in the family was ill. Her partner is out sick with it right now.
I asked her if it were better to feed canned or dry food in a case like this, seeing as Jamie doesn't like boiled chicken. She said very small amounts of canned spread throughout the day were better, but remarked that that was because she knew that Jamie gets almo, which is just meat or fish with at most (1%) a little bit of rice. Otherwise it wouldn't make much difference, provided the food was very high quality with little grain.
I just ordered 30 kg. of litter - I can't believe how much I've gone through the past few days.
Jamie has this really strange meow, rather loud, that he reserves to inform me that he's going to upchuck or race to the litter box with the runs. That's what I meant about "announcing". He's been doing it since he was little.