Jaelynn might have breast cancer..

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naval Institute of Health

Cancer of the mammary gland in children is an extremely rare affection. According to the data of the N.N. Petrov Research Institute of Oncology among 6500 patients with breast cancer, treated clinically, cancer of the mammary gland in children was revealed only in three cases (0.046%). The clinical course and prognosis of mammary cancer in children is more favourable than in adults
Odds are that it isn't Cancer.....

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great news, that it can be checked at her next appt. That means it really is nothing. However, if Jaelynn's parents are really worried, they should just schedule a sooner appt, and have her looked at by the doc. Being a parent involves enough worrying, and no need to worry more about this.

When (now 6 y/o ds) was just a few days old, I remarked on how calm he was, and how he didn't even react to loud noises. DH said, "Maybe he's deaf." I burst into tears. DH's baby brother is deaf, and so to him, although he did not want our son to be deaf, it was not a huge worry. He just figured we would check when ds got older, and in the meantime keep watching for signs. Well, I called the doc, and they scheduled a test to check his hearing (which was just fine.) Doctor's understand that parent's worry. They will see her sooner if needed for Mom and Dad's peace of mind.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

DH said,
Hey i dont mean to hijack this thread...but I am going to burst w/ curiosity if I dont ask...

What is "DH" shorthand for...if ya dont mind me asking.....lol

By the way I am soo happy that it doesnt sound serious.......

wenzee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BABIES can get breast cancer???? I never in a million years would've thought that was possible.
I hope and pray that any tests come back with very good results!!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie I highly doubt it would be breast cancer at this age. It's more likely that it's a fatty deposit - or if it is a tumour, benign. Both of my nieces have them, the eldest a rather large knot in the middle of her back and it is a hard knot at that. They're very common in children and even Rune has a benign tumour stemming from a fatty deposit on his left ankle - that cannot be removed because it is very deep rooted and sits on his bone. However all these incidences are totally benign, despite the fact that they run in the family.

The chances of babies developing breast cancer is HIGHLY unlikly - breast tissue does actually start to develop in foetuses, so when a child is born there is breast tissue present, although very very little. The most common cases of breast cancer are over the age of 30 - and nearly all cases of lumps in breasts under the age of 35 are benign. There is a HUGE amount of information floating around all over the place - so fret ye not, I reckon your niece is perfectly healthy, though I can understand why you'd be so worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got the word from my mom..

The doctor says that it is breast tissue and they aren't supposed to be getting it this young..so they are going to keep an eye on it because it is a possibility.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

Just got the word from my mom..

The doctor says that it is breast tissue and they aren't supposed to be getting it this young..so they are going to keep an eye on it because it is a possibility.
I would get a second opinion. If there is any possibility it is breast cancer it must be checked out fully. If it is just and unusual but harmless growth of breast tissue, then it is okay to "keep an eye on it". Saying it is a possibility that it is cancerous is not really acceptable, IMO!