Jackson needs toys, not sure what to buy?

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I want to buy toys that jackson will get GREAT use out of...I have heard of a toy called "Da Bird" Anyone know anything about it?
He's not fond of catnip, Iam not to sure where else I should be looking, pls gimmie a hand...
Jayme&Jackson

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cats LOVE the fur mice from Zanies, they are completely addicted to those, as well as ping pong balls. (and for some reason they just want the ping pong balls, picky little critters.) If you don't like to use real rabbit fur, they also make mice with fake fur, but not sure of the companies name. Petsmart has them now, but my cats won't touch unless fur is real. Not sure about the bird thing. Another favorite toy, a roll of papertowels!! Every now nad then I give them the pleasure to shred, bite, back kick, and kill the poor rolls. I discovered this when I left some out spring cleaning.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've ever met loves toys like this:

They also like fur mousies. Bella loves chewing their tails off. I don't know if they're real fur or not, but they feel pretty real. I have some from the vet, some from WalMart, and some from PetCo. You have to check the eyes before you give them to cats, though, because some brands have plastic pins that come out really quickly. You don't want kitty swallowing those.

They also like trash toys, like the strip that comes from the top of a plastic milk jug, or beer bottle caps.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a Da Bird, and Tailer and Harvey LOVED it! It's one of those feather-on-a-fishing-pole toys, but it's designed in a way that makes the feather "fly" when you move it. (A note of caution...make sure you put it well away when not in use...otherwise they'll play it, literally, to death...which is what happened to mine.) They like the regular fishing-pole toys, too, but they're somewhat inferior to Da Bird.

Cat Dancer is another favorite of my boys. It's really cheap and simple, but they can't get enough of it. (They'll play it to death, too...we're on about the 12th.)

Mine also like the puffy balls...especially the ones in the catnip. (Forest can't get enough white ones, and loses them about 2 minutes after coming across one, so we buy them in bulk. The girls at our pet store will sort through the new shipments and set all the white ones aside for him.)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da bird is great. It got my Cindy playing when she wouldn't play with anything before. Swanie loves it too. They both like it when I pull it across the floor and under an old piece of clothing or an old towel (which I call bushes). They also love it when I swirl it around the floor in a circle. Not quite as much in the air tho.

I just got a long fluffy pink furry thing on a wand that Swanie has gone nuts for. I don't know what it's called tho.

Neither of them care too much for toys that don't move.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My younger ones love Da Bird too, along with tiny mice and ping pong balls to bat around. Another toy that really gets them going is the laser pointer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for all the amazing suggestions, I will be sure to check out Da Bird, I went to pet land and asked the lady, lol, she had no-idea what I was talking about, can u tell me where I can find "da Bird" Thanks again for your imput! You guys rock!
Jayme&Jackson

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My skittles love the fur mice with bells. I have about 200 give or take a few. I have the balls with the bells in it
And a cat nylabone something....

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A consistent favorite of all our cats has always been a thickish cord (or thinnish rope) with a knot at both ends, slowly pulled and jiggled under a newspaper (old!) page or old large rag that they can pounce on, catch, and then start over with. You'll give up long before they will!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

A consistent favorite of all our cats has always been a thickish cord (or thinnish rope) with a knot at both ends, slowly pulled and jiggled under a newspaper (old!) page or old large rag that they can pounce on, catch, and then start over with. You'll give up long before they will!
That is a good idea I think I will try it. Skittles I think will go nutz

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I dont have "da bird" for Oliver, but it seems to be popular with almost all cats... I've found that Oliver has certain types of toys that interest him and I only found out which ones by experimentation.... if you have a big pet store like petsmart or petco near you, they usually have bins of cheap toys: crinkle balls, tiny tennis balls, ping pong like balls, little mice, etc... each is under a dollar so you could pick up 1 or 2 of each to see what he takes to.... I did this kind of thing to figure out what toy type Ollie is attracted to and then I started buying the more expensive toys that I knew at least had a better chance of entertaining him...

Ollie's favorites are: ping pong type balls that rattle, a leopard print mouse with catnip in it (the ONLY catnip toy he's ever liked), a fishing pole style toy from walmart and a little felt octopus I picked up at a pet boutique in Carmel, CA last year (he basically likes anything that has dangly things on it - I "supervise" when he plays)... Ollie's less of a carrying-in-the-mouth player and more of a chaser-batter-bunnykicker - oh, and he's addicted to his cypurr mouse!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pudge loves Zanies rattling fuzzy mice tied to strings, and other interactive/moving toys. I got her a Hartz "Birds of a tether " toy (wind-up feathers on a pole. it goes in a circle) and she loves it. She also loves SmartyKat's Perky Prawns (catnip prawns with crinkle skin on strings).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

Wow, thank you for all the amazing suggestions, I will be sure to check out Da Bird, I went to pet land and asked the lady, lol, she had no-idea what I was talking about, can u tell me where I can find "da Bird" Thanks again for your imput! You guys rock!
Jayme&Jackson
Try ebay if you can't find it in any pet stores, I had a hard time finding a cat dancer in Canada so got it from ebay. My cats are crazy about it

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Cheapo toys that Abi doesn't tire of:
Things she plays with alone:
ping pong balls - especially in a dry bath tub
rings from a milk container
paper twine tied in a double knot
mini hair scrunchies she uses as hockey pucks over the hardwood floors
paper bags- until she shreds them
any empty bo on earth

Things she wants me to play with
I have made teaser toys : a scrunchy with ribbons tied to it and then tied with a cord to a small wooden dowel. These never fail to attract her away from anything else she is doing, even stalking our turtle... who has a sturdy covered and locked acquarium cage lid. She will literally play until she is exhausted and just lying there batting at it with eyes half closed.

she also has some pet stages tunnels I have sewn together with an access slot that she adores to hide in and attack the air as it passes her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

That is a good idea I think I will try it. Skittles I think will go nutz
LOL, My boyfreind and I play "Kity under a blanket" Jackson loves it...We grab one of his toys and move it around under the blanket...HE GOES CRAAAZY!!!!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

Jayme&Jackson
If you have a Pet Supermarket in the area, that's where I found the ones I got.

You can also find them online various places. I almost ordered one online before I found them locally.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are plastic straws dangerous for cats to play with?

I was sitting on the floor yesterday with a plastic glass of pop and a plastic straw. When the pop was gone, I was just sort of swirling the ice around in the cup. Both cats came to the edge of the sofa and stared like it was the most fascinating thing they'd ever seen. It was very funny. At one point Swanie got hold of the staw and started chewing the heck out of it. I wouldn't let him have it, but he sure wanted to work on it for awhile.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the best things I have found that gets barred in the house is my scrunches. I could be asleep and skittles will take it out of my hair and go hide after playing with it for 20 min.

liberty's buddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liberty loves anything made by a company called Petstages, sturdy balls and mice. Her favorite toy (from petstages) is called a hunneysuckle hug (and yes it does have honeysucle in it). It looks like 3 balls that have been stuck together. She hold it with her front paws, beats it up with her rear paws and chews on it all at the same time. It is so funny. They also make some awesome chew toys. -kd

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout loves foam balls, and we used to have a fishing toy that you can suction onto a window and it will dangle for them to play with. She eventually ripped the feathery thing right off of it.