Izzy's name. Thinking of changing it.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a dog named Lucy.  I'm thinking I should not have named a cat Izzy because I think Lucy is thinking I am saying Lucy when I say Izzy.   I thought it would be different enough.  
  Now don't know what to think.   

She is about 17 weeks old and knows her name.   I'm thinking she would adapt to a new name but what do you think?   Maybe it would be harder for me to adapt.  lol   I was sort of thinking of Gidgit.  Not even sure of

how it would be spelled.  So it would be totally different than either of my dogs names, Maggie and Lucy.  I

wanted to get away from the same sound of the end of the name too.   

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think changing it to something that has the same start but ends differently might be an easier transition and less confusing for her. Something like Isabel. But I really don't know. I have no experience with this. I changed my cat's name when I adopted him, he was around 5 months old. He'd been in a foster home for about a month and didn't respond to the name they gave him. He's around a year now and still doesn't respond to Oliver! 

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really think it will be okay. Any cat that goes through a shelter gets a name change and they do okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. I like Isabel That would be a good one. Honestly maybe the hardest part may be me trying to use a new name.  But Lucy get confused over Izzy and I really think it would be better for everyone.  

I think starting out it may be good to just use her name alot to get it to sink in.  It would be so close to Izzy though I don't think it would be an adjustment for her.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been calling her Isabel today.  I don't think it is really noticeable  to her.  And I think it has helped with Lucy's confusion.   

There have been a few times though when I'm like, now what is her new name?  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having a hard time using the name Isabel.  I totally come up blank when I try to say it.  So I'm considering Lizabeth.  I'v been calling her Lizabeth in error.  So I will try that one for day and hopefully it will click with me.  Still close enough sounding to Izzy to not have her notice much.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna stick to using Isabel.  At least for now.  I'm hoping I start remembering it.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a thought.  lol

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did the same when we adopted our kitty. She was a year old, and came with the name "Mischief". We didn't like it so we changed it, eventually to "Nora". We were saying Norie, Dorie for awhile until Nora stuck. It didn't seem to bother her. We've had her 5 months now, and she only sometimes turns her head to Nora 

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Isabel is doing well with it already.  It starts out the same so I think it wasn't much of an adjustment.  She also turns her head to her name when she wants to.   But changing it has made a big difference with my dog Lucy.  When I scolded as Izzy, Lucy thought I was scolding her.  She would run off and hide.  

I'm having the hard time remembering.  I always gotta stop and think.  

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a similar issue. We have a dog called Koki, and a cat called Loki. How the hell did we miss that problem ? :(

However, the problem is become less and less of an issue as we tend to call the cat "argggghhh what have you done now you little b**tard?", which the dog doesn't answer to.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have so many cats I can never remember their names in an emergency. It's usually something like;

"Lizzy I mean Sadie I mean Heidi I mean....whatever your name is STOP THAT!"

I wish I'd called them all Kitty now. Think how much time it would save.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a similar issue. We have a dog called Koki, and a cat called Loki. How the hell did we miss that problem ? :(

However, the problem is become less and less of an issue as we tend to call the cat "argggghhh what have you done now you little b**tard?", which the dog doesn't answer to.
LOL!

I have so many cats I can never remember their names in an emergency. It's usually something like;

"Lizzy I mean Sadie I mean Heidi I mean....whatever your name is STOP THAT!"

I wish I'd called them all Kitty now. Think how much time it would save.
My mother was the same way when I was a kid. Every time I got in trouble it was "Billy- Jimi- Kevin, quit that!"